• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Prince of Stride: Alternative (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
I was saying "I could be wrong." Razz
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Funny episode, not much competition but more like a breather.

They also analyze food too? Lol. I expect pacing to pick up again soon but the boys are really getting along now as more than just competitors but also friends. Honan's skills have really improved by the looks of it as well. Hope they can keep it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
I am going pick the episode apart.

If stride is so big in their school as to warrant such a facility, then where are the other members? Does the members have to be idols to join the team, could a non idol person join it? Where are all the teachers? If the students are a big deal, then why does it seem that there is a total lack of any staff supervising and helping them? Why is the position of what would be staff to the team actually another student also on the team as the relationer, the way he acts to one of the members is as if they are his master? Are we meant to believe that a student is like a butler to one of his peers? We only see male members, does it make sense that the building not only have hotel like facilities, but hot spring like baths including one for women? And did the students acting as chefs learn their cooking from Gou?

Really you can get into facts like the race is not really fair as clearly the students who use the place would know the track pretty well. Is there a reason they would have been invited past the fact they like him for some odd reason? And really most of the answers are that it the show just wants to advertise itself to the fujoshi crowd. I find a problem that it is not as organic as Haikyuu,, or as blatantly funny about it as Free. There was one moment where during some stretches a character looked in pain (?), and it seemed like a clear symbolism of yaoi sex, but I am not sure if it was deliberately playing with it, or winking at the audience saying "you know that you like it".
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
^ All perfectly valid criticisms, but I couldn't take anything seriously after the map showed that the Central America and Caribbean League is in Alaska.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:
I guess this is a reminder that Honan needs to train more and improve themselves as they can't win matches against more skilled teams. At least they gave it their all this time. The moody atmosphere of the aftermath was not pleasant...

Nana's father also comes to Japan and there's some glimpse of her childhood. I hope she gets more characterization as the main heroine. Nice to know how she got started on the sport though. There's interpersonal problems in this series so I guess the story got more tense. I think they'll get over it soon and make a big comeback, particular Riku. The guy is a lot better when he smiles.

Next time...water park episode? Lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was both tremendously cliché with the way they set up the personal challenges, and still kind of alright because they're still nice ideas when well done.

But that preview for what looks like yet another bad comedy episode killed any enthusiasm I might've still had for this series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Of course the main characters go up against a school that includes her father who just came over seas as a coach, whats his name's brother who just came back from over seas as a runner, some guy as a relationer who just came from Germany, and two people who apparently used to be part of a circus, because apparently that is a thing. Are we really being told that the team just go put together, like it is a good representative of where they came from that half of them only just joined? Wouldn't that pretty much be a coach in name only?

And how did the people running the event already have on hand the information she was his daughter when she only learned it? Did her father talk to them and said to include it? Why did their team get an entire presentation up with kind of excessive video and narrated by the announcers? Am I taking this show too seriously.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
End of summer final tournament!
Sakurai's dad.. just complicated things..
Kakyoin sure are favorites this time.
This not gonna be an easy race, not that all the others before were.
Honan got blown away like a bunch of slowpokes.
That was a serious blow for the team..
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Oh I get what they mean by "special training" now. Yup, water park style with shirtless guys.

In the meantime, I guess Riku feels a bit down with his progress. Yeah as much as I found it fun, it was too goofy to take seriously for the team to get back on track again. I hope Honan can prove themselves again because they did work hard before.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
I thought it would be funny if she had no idea about using it for team building and just wanted a bucket sized snow cone. Which totally would have been mostly ice since the flavour would not be able to go throughout.

On the slide all I could think was that it was pretty dangerous and stuff would probably tell them off. A swimming race, why does that feel oddly familiar? But a kind of shocker that Land Haru cannot swim.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
I noticed how they kept framing the guys so that none of their shorts showed, making them look naked. Rolling Eyes

I guess this was supposed to be poking fun at sports anime cliches, but it just doesn't have the foundation to make that work, since it's already so mired in tropes it's trying to pull off seriously.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I noticed how they kept framing the guys so that none of their shorts showed, making them look naked. Rolling Eyes

I guess this was supposed to be poking fun at sports anime cliches, but it just doesn't have the foundation to make that work, since it's already so mired in tropes it's trying to pull off seriously.

Why didn't I notice that, I might have had more fun if I knew it was trying to blatantly use fanservice.

Other than Free, I guess that the volleyball bit was trying to make a joke with Haikyuu, it did mention things like receives, setting and spiking as if it expects the audience to be familiar enough with it. Now that I think about it, I think it tries to spoof sports anime quite often with its goofs, but they rarely actually land the joke, or maybe I just don't get it.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Time to get cracking!
They need to work hard on their skills.
Nana's dad pushing her to Kakyoin..
Let the problems begin.
They're gonna need to work on their relationships..
Maybe pool time will help.
Takeru & Riku kept clashing all the time..
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Another buildup episode. Seems like they are really getting the team ready for what they're going to face in the future. I hope the hype for the upcoming match is worth it especially for Riku, the guy who has been struggling with his own personal demons...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Show says it is his problem so he needs to solve it himself. Only able to move forward when someone talks about it to him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4