• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Men Arrested for Uploading One Piece Chapter to English Website (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
karyuudo0127 wrote:
I feel bad for them. They were doing good for the community. Luckily piracy isn't killed so easily. Twisted Evil

"good for the community" I'm sorry, what!? Confused

It's gives those in the community who can't afford to buy manga/anime to have a chance to get it for free. I don't see a problem with this.

I'm not saying that no one should pay for anime / manga, but not everyone can afford to pay for anime / manga, or it's possible that it's not accessible in their country due to copyrights and other legal mumbo jumbo.

Honestly, piracy and illegal distribution of material has helped more than it had a negative effect on things. Take Rurouni Kenshin for example. If it were not for Hecto Fansubs / Shinsengumi Fansubs doing subs for it years before Media Blasters / ADV / Sentai got the rights for it, no one would have known about it.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
You're making more of an argument for fan scanlations in general than for panda specifically.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
You're making more of an argument for fan scanlations in general than for panda specifically.
and that a hole different discussion on itself ( and the fact that places like viz are [expletive] lazy to get the rights to something so people have to pirate )
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Also, something we gloss over as we don't give a damn about it*. The delivery company employee. The leak in the supply chain. How it's entirely possible for a speed group to release 4 days earlier than the official street date.
There's just this really screwy feeling about it, on top of the guy clearly needing to lose his job. Significant difference in feel for me between that and some dude buying a copy from the store then scanning it.

*how much of it is the readership at large not knowing, versus how much not caring about the gap between speed release and official release?

---

Also, there is no have to pirate.
You don't need to follow a series to live. It's a case of you want to follow a series.
It's desire, not necessity. It's not unusual to desire; people want many things after all. But conflating the two is dishonest.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Also, something we gloss over as we don't give a damn about it*. The delivery company employee. The leak in the supply chain. How it's entirely possible for a speed group to release 4 days earlier than the official street date.
There's just this really screwy feeling about it, on top of the guy clearly needing to lose his job. Significant difference in feel for me between that and some dude buying a copy from the store then scanning it.

*how much of it is the readership at large not knowing, versus how much not caring about the gap between speed release and official release?

It's the same thing that happens with most mainstream BluRays and DVDs. No one notices if a few go missing from the top of the supply skid and then ultimately online for those to download. Most Japanese are pretty clueless when it comes to piracy and have no clue where to get stuff online anyway. Most hardcore otakus refuse to download illegally or even pay for streaming stating that they'd be losing out on the quality and the extras that come with the official releases.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
It's gives those in the community who can't afford to buy manga/anime to have a chance to get it for free. I don't see a problem with this.

I'm not saying that no one should pay for anime / manga, but not everyone can afford to pay for anime / manga, or it's possible that it's not accessible in their country due to copyrights and other legal mumbo jumbo.

Honestly, piracy and illegal distribution of material has helped more than it had a negative effect on things. Take Rurouni Kenshin for example. If it were not for Hecto Fansubs / Shinsengumi Fansubs doing subs for it years before Media Blasters / ADV / Sentai got the rights for it, no one would have known about it.

If only there were official legally sanctioned places that let people read manga for free or at low cost. I don't know, like maybe Crunchyroll* or ComicWalker or Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump...

*I know you have to subscribe to access previous chapters, but a month's CR subscription is cheaper than your average single volume of manga (or at least here in the UK it is).

As an Englishman, I get the lack of availability thing (although I'd personally just use a VPN to access a legal source), but the title in question is One Piece. Hardly the most obscure difficult to obtain title.

I find the argument that piracy helps more than it hurts a little beyond credibility. I accept that maybe it can help in certain situations, but for every one person that pirates the first episode then buys the DVD, there's probably 4 or 5 that pirate the entire series.

This sounds me like people desperately trying to justify their own crummy behaviour. How long until somebody brings out the "I won't buy manga, because not all of the money goes back to the artist" excuse (or does that only work with Crunchyroll)?
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
So, bigger picture.
There's a time and a place to defend the principles of scanlation. Usually the opportunity to do so is with an example in which you can point out the good sides.
"The guy just wants to share it with the world; he did it out of his own pocket and stopped after it has been licensed as his mission has been accomplished. And heck, he even did a pretty good job at it"

The panda, with its practices and level of quality, is not a good place. File this under 'gotta be able to pick your spots'.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
karyuudo0127 wrote:

If only there were official legally sanctioned places that let people read manga for free or at low cost. I don't know, like maybe Crunchyroll* or ComicWalker or Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump...

*I know you have to subscribe to access previous chapters, but a month's CR subscription is cheaper than your average single volume of manga (or at least here in the UK it is).

As an Englishman, I get the lack of availability thing (although I'd personally just use a VPN to access a legal source), but the title in question is One Piece. Hardly the most obscure difficult to obtain title.

I find the argument that piracy helps more than it hurts a little beyond credibility. I accept that maybe it can help in certain situations, but for every one person that pirates the first episode then buys the DVD, there's probably 4 or 5 that pirate the entire series.

This sounds me like people desperately trying to justify their own crummy behaviour. How long until somebody brings out the "I won't buy manga, because not all of the money goes back to the artist" excuse (or does that only work with Crunchyroll)?

Let's look at this in another way. If your friend buys a manga, and then you want to borrow it to read it, should you be paying the artist again for the material? I would say no. Let's be honest, anyone downloading manga and anime will probably read / watch it once and then delete it because it takes up space on their PC. Generally most series are basically throw-aways and not even worth keeping.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Let's look at this in another way. If your friend buys a manga, and then you want to borrow it to read it, should you be paying the artist again for the material? I would say no. Let's be honest, anyone downloading manga and anime will probably read / watch it once and then delete it because it takes up space on their PC. Generally most series are basically throw-aways and not even worth keeping.

So where can I buy these magical physical manga volumes that can be loaned out to thousands of people I don't actually know at a time, whilst I still keep the original copy without inconvenience?

Chances are that, at most, less than 10 people will ever read one copy of a physical volume of manga, and there's a degree of inconvenience involved in loaning it out to the other 9. It's not as easy and as instant as simply clicking a few links.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
karyuudo0127 wrote:

So where can I buy these magical physical manga volumes that can be loaned out to thousands of people I don't actually know at a time, whilst I still keep the original copy without inconvenience?

Chances are that, at most, less than 10 people will ever read one copy of a physical volume of manga, and there's a degree of inconvenience involved in loaning it out to the other 9. It's not as easy and as instant as simply clicking a few links.

Well you do have a point, but I wasn't talking about lending off to more than just one other person in the scenario I was speaking of. Of course, you're right on the fact that when you upload it online, more than one person has access to the material, but let's be honest, would they have bought it in the first place? More than likely if you're gonna download something, it's because you didn't want to shell out the cash anyway. It's really not a true loss for anyone. You could argue it's a potential loss, but without proof that the person would have paid money for it in the first place, there's no way of really knowing.

For years I would pirate games and NEVER purchase anything. The only way I would buy a console if I could pirate the games for it. To me, 99% of the games out there are throw-aways. Nowadays, I do purchase the odd game for my PC using either the Steam or Origin services. I could easily jump on sites like kat.cr and download whatever I want for free, but there are the odd games that are "worth it" to me to purchase. In the end, it's up to the individual if they want to support the company or the artists in question. I don't think one should look down on pirates, but simply to ask them to support companies / artists / musicians whenever they feel the need to.
Drunk Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Somewhere wrote:
Good
The topic of copyright infringement ethics aside, Mangapanda's a bottom of the barrel level option for desperate people lowering themselves a fair amount. Seriously, it takes swallowing quite a bit of one's pride to willingly consume such poor output.
I agree yeah not even I use it tho they are the only scan group that loves to release their shit early ( mangastream try its best to release their scans after Jump release them now so they don't have problems like they did before )

That is completely false. Mangastream will always release before Jump.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:

---

You don't need to follow a series to live. It's a case of you want to follow a series.
It's desire, not necessity. It's not unusual to desire; people want many things after all. But conflating the two is dishonest.
okay so I had to read this 3 times just to make sure ( you make good points on some by the way ) I have to disagree,on there is no the have to pirate , some companies won't even bring the stuff people,want to see over here so in the end all you can do is pirate, so what else is there ?
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Drunk Samurai wrote:
dark13 wrote:
Somewhere wrote:
Good
The topic of copyright infringement ethics aside, Mangapanda's a bottom of the barrel level option for desperate people lowering themselves a fair amount. Seriously, it takes swallowing quite a bit of one's pride to willingly consume such poor output.
I agree yeah not even I use it tho they are the only scan group that loves to release their shit early ( mangastream try its best to release their scans after Jump release them now so they don't have problems like they did before )

really ? I know for fairy tail and stuff its on not Fridays anymore and all of the jump stuff is on Thursday and not Wednesday so how is that false ?
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Drunk Samurai wrote:
dark13 wrote:
Somewhere wrote:
Good

really ? I know for fairy tail and stuff its on not Fridays anymore and all of the jump stuff is on Thursday and not Wednesday so how is that false ?

Weekly Shounen Jump officially releases on Mondays except for the occasional holiday. The chapters for Bleach, Shoukugeki no Souma, Toriko, and Assassination Classroom that MS released yesterday and today, are in the issue that won't be out until Monday of next week.

Weekly Shounen Magazine officially releases on Wednesdays. The chapters of Fairy Tail and The Seven Deadly Sins that MS released early this week on Monday weren't officially out until Wednesday.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Somewhere wrote:

---

okay so I had to read this 3 times just to make sure ( you make good points on some by the way ) I have to disagree,on there is no the have to pirate , some companies won't even bring the stuff people,want to see over here so in the end all you can do is pirate, so what else is there ?

Not following the series is another option.
This is not air/food/medicine/shelter/whatever else is literally necessary for survival. This is a luxury. It is a conscious choice being made as to whether to pursue or not. Whether the choice made is ethical or not is its own subject, but for intellectual honesty, let's keep it straight that this is a voluntary action made for entertainment purposes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5