• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Sports Anime Spikes Back

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I can't really get into sports anime, at least most of the modern conventional ones. Kuroko, Oofuri, Yowamushi (and I like cycling), Haikyu (watched 3 episodes with a group of friends but I was bored the whole time), I have no interest in any of them. The ones I have enjoyed are the unconventional ones with a mainly female cast though. I loved Bamboo Blade, but it has a heavy slice of life structure. I also loved Girls und Panzer if it counts, but then again tanks and/or Humikane Shimada artwork is an instant win for me. I have been thinking about watching Taisho Baseball Girls as it seems like something I'd enjoy (plus, the time period seems interesting). I haven't watched many auto racing anime but I feel like may enjoy those too. The older sports anime like Attack No 1, Aim for the Ace, and Ashita no Joe interest me for their historical value and for the fact that Osamu Dezaki directed the latter two. I am interested in that upcoming girls motorcycle one. If there was a new girl's volleyball anime I'd probably check it out as well. I remember someone posted the title of an echii volleybal manga a while ago, but I can't remember what it was. I...kinda want to check it out. Embarassed
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
If they remake or follow up on Eyeshield 21, I will fully appreciate the swath of Golden Receiver jokes that are sure follow.

I'm really into sports anime. When I have enough time, I'll start digging through the older series. Unfortunately, that wont be for awhile... As for Haikyu: it is so well done, especially the attention paid to movement. There are scenes I've watched again and again because of its animation. Happy to see it doing well!

BVerfG wrote:
But I just loved Haikyuu! so much (apparently I'm one of the rare males who enjoyed it?)

I've seen a lot of guys who like it. Even though it has a sizable female audience, it still runs in a shounen mag. Haikyu is well made and written, but it's also very, very shounen in themes and direction. It's just that lots of anime are able to net a diverse audience beyond magazine demographics. Everyone benefits! Though I'd personally love to see demographic breakdowns (age, gender, etc.) for disc sales in general. If only...
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I hate basketball with every burning fiber of my being but I still love Kuroko's Basketball. Never cared about tennis until I read Prince of Tennis. Baseball has been a sport that I watched on TV because of dad but I still watched Major, Oofuri and to a small extent, Cross Game. Never knew about Karuta, but I watched Chihayafuru. I have a every-4-year-fanaticism for soccer and truly loved Giant Killing but was annoyed by Knight in the Area. Cycling is boring but I still watched Yowapeda. Paintball? Never in my radar but I loved Aoharu x Machinegun and want a second cour. And whoever would've thought tanks and strategy could be a sport of sorts! I was on pins and needles when watching Girls und Panzer. I can't muster enough you-know-whats when it comes to football/hand-egg but I loved reading Eyeshield 21.

Volleyball is a different thing. When I was around 12, I started to learn it with my friends. I had to stop going to camp in favor of tutoring so I could pass math or I'd be held back a grade. I didn't go back to it, but I look back on those days very fondly. Haikyuu!! gives me the good feels and excitement that I would've felt if I'd continued practicing and playing.

So I would say, yes and no. Yes because through my life experiences an anime/manga was attractive to me and I wanted to either relive those moments or enjoy the ones I didn't have. And no because I don't care for a lot of sports but I still wanted to immerse myself in those worlds and enjoy them.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
Now I just wanna watch Attack No. 1 and Attacker You, but alas, these older shows rarely get releases, and it doesnt look like they have any fansubs either (none I could find at least)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3