• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there was a combined version for the Blu Ray, the 'Yack Deculture Edition.'

Still, the preview airing of Frontier had Sheryl being a super bitchy stuck up diva and the important plot point of her earrings was missing. Thankfully the proper episode 1 made Sheryl more likable (though I couldn't tell you if those scenes were returned in the extended version).

With Delta, it's simply that the preview airing was cut short.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
One of the things that I laugh about is how, since the announcement of a live-action Robotech movie, we've had two Macross series released, yet no Robotech movie in sight.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Macross, we need to talk. Back in the 80's...back when we were both so young, things were bright and wonderful. You were something I'd never seen before--like a sci-fi novel on TV, with great, relatable characters, and an intriguing tale of a strange interstellar war in which love really could conquer all. I still remember those times fondly, and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

But at some point, something changed. Instead of exploring and building on the world you created, you tried to turn superficial elements of it into a repeatable formula. You also started taking me for granted, running after younger and younger fans, expecting me to always come back, and to settle for just scraps of your attention.

For a long time, I put up with it. I put up with the design changes...the logical lapses...the badly-written finales...the creeping fanservice...the oddball things that could never, ever happen in the world of the original--I even stood by you through Sound Force, for crying out loud! If we were older, I might blame Frontier's issues on senility, but we're not to that point yet.

What you did make clear in Frontier--particularly in the difference between the TV and movie endings--is that you have a problem with commitment, and that isn't going to go away. And now you're asking me to go along with magical transforming Pre-(Wal)Küre singers?

No.

No. I can't do that.

Macross, we can't just keep running on memories alone. And if the memories of old times are all that's still good...then those memories are all I really need.

So thanks for the good times. I'll always love you for what you were.

But Macross...my dear Macross...I'm sorry, but this is goodbye.

Wink
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
I have to wonder if maybe those memories are too tinted by nostalgia. The original series was pretty damn goofy. Really Plus is the only actual serious Macross entrant, and even that had lavish concert scenes not unlike what we get here.

Macross has always been like this, it simply evolves to fit the times.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
I guess I was waiting to read someone here in the forum talking about the first ep of Macross Delta in some sort of review fashion but that hasn't happened yet. I realize this is one of the few shows that legal streams are not an option so the alternative is left unsaid.

In any case, I want to put my two cents out there. First off, Macross Frontier is one of my top ten anime shows, so that will affect how I look at this show.

Just looking at this first episode as a whole, it looked nicely animated to me. However whenever the action sequences and musical numbers came into play, holy mackerel it became busy. This is a show I would have to watch a couple times to try to make certain I was not missing details in all the activity.

As far as the plot goes, I think it did its job well enough to set up where the story seems to be going for the season. You have a girl with unknown capabilities or talents, but knows what she wants, running into a boy who seems to be the opposite, somewhat shiftless and looking for a goal. And those two run afoul of the primary problem affecting the populace: spoiler[ Var syndrome - which makes people degenerate and want to attack everyone and everything else. And yes, the good guys fight against it with songs, but if you paid attention, it looks as though a song set off the Var syndrome to begin with. ]

One episode is not enough to make me give a thumbs up or down just yet. The animation quality is starting off better than Macross Frontier, so that is a plus in my book. Let's see how the story hangs in there over the coming weeks.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
As much of a black sheep Macross II is, it is satisfying to see it influencing other Macross shows. First the UN Spacey became the Neo UN Spacey and now we got songs compelling Zentradi to fight, much like how the Emulators did for the Marduk.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
Even though they haven't said anything yet, I'm guessing that the Var Syndrome may not just affect Zentradi. We'll just have to wait and see.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Well we do see human affected in the opening bit. But still, the concept is similar.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen Frontier, but I don't remember it being as bonkers as this one. So I'm not sure if I'm supposed to laugh at the silliness, cringe or ...? I hope that it'll be a bit less bananas once the drama, romance and all that come into play. Anyway I kinda like the mechas in Macross that can transform into fighter jets, they're cool. I find the way Freya talks to be cute and amusing, but I'm not sure how I feel about her personality just yet. The action at times was a bit hard to follow, but the songs were decent, I really liked the last one.

One thing I'm wondering is that, can that girl with pointy ears (Mirage?) turn into a giant like that one girl from Frontier? Or is she of different race?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I've only seen Frontier, but I don't remember it being as bonkers as this one.

Frontier was a lot like this, only difference really is that Ranka and Sheryl would sing from a safe place where as these girls are right on the battlefield.

Cam0 wrote:
One thing I'm wondering is that, can that girl with pointy ears (Mirage?) turn into a giant like that one girl from Frontier? Or is she of different race?

She's Meltlandi like Klan was, yeah. She's part of the first cross race family, the Jeniuses, from the original series. She can macronize if she wants though humans can do it too (both races were created by the Protoculture in the first place).
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
Are the flashy lights and special effects of the performance the main problem? I was under the impression that what carried Delta over the top compared to Frontier and the previous series was precisely that the singers could sing in the middle of the battlefield, thanks to their deflector shields. In fact, their presence rather begs the question: Why are the military ships not equipped with them?

Unusual distribution of equipment aside, I am not bothered by the introduction of and focus on an idol group--possibly because I liked AKB0048, to the point that my reaction was "ooh, Macross x AKB0048" rather than the more typical "ugh, Macross x AKB0048".

Episode 1 of new Macross series. Staking out my ship with my avatar:
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Are the flashy lights and special effects of the performance the main problem? I was under the impression that what carried Delta over the top compared to Frontier and the previous series was precisely that the singers could sing in the middle of the battlefield, thanks to their deflector shields. In fact, their presence rather begs the question: Why are the military ships not equipped with them?

Some ships are equipped with shields, but those generally are the larger Macross-class vessels which we have yet to see in this series.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Are the flashy lights and special effects of the performance the main problem? I was under the impression that what carried Delta over the top compared to Frontier and the previous series was precisely that the singers could sing in the middle of the battlefield, thanks to their deflector shields.

It has been a few years since I have seen Frontier (I've only seen Frontier so I don't know anything about the other Macross shows), but I don't remember the girls taking part in the battle like this. I remember it being more like aliens interrupting a concert, but the girls want to keep singing regardless to keep the spirits up or something. Here the girls are like flying around, deflecting missiles and one of them at least seems to be unaffected by being buried under rubble and blows away the rubble like she has superpowers. I don't know what the glow thing is, I thought that was just them using holograms or something, but now I have no idea. Again it has been a few years since I've seen Frontier and I've a short memory so my memory of how Frontier was like can be a bit skewed.

Vaisaga wrote:
though humans can do it too (both races were created by the Protoculture in the first place).

Wait, does that mean Hayate can turn into a giant? How wild.

On another note there really is something magical about Freya's voice. She just sounds so oddly delightful. Like when she says "That's right!" to Mirage when Mirage is inquiring about Freya being a fan. I could listen to that all day. I'll still root for Mirage though.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I remember it being more like aliens interrupting a concert, but the girls want to keep singing regardless to keep the spirits up or something.

While that certainly happens often, in each series music has special effects on the enemy and is weaponized. The singers sing because it gives an advantage in battle. In the original singing induced confusion in Zentradi because as a warrior race they had no concept of it. In Plus, Sharon uses her songs for mind control. In 7, music produces spiritual energy which messes with the enemy. In Zero, music is used to control floating rocks and a humanity extinction weapon. In Frontier Ranka's and later Sheryl's singing interferes with the Vajra's hive mind communication. And here in Delta music both causes and cures the Var.

As I said, typically the idol would just stay safely on a ship while their music is broadcast over the battlefield. 7 is an exception, as the main band had custom Valkyries with guitar controllers and they sung on the battlefield too. So yeah, Delta isn't doing anything other Macross series haven't done before.

Cam0 wrote:
Wait, does that mean Hayate can turn into a giant? How wild.

There's only ever been one instance in the whole franchise where a human has macronized, though, and that was Max in Do You Remember Love.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

Here the girls are like flying around, deflecting missiles and one of them at least seems to be unaffected by being buried under rubble and blows away the rubble like she has superpowers.

There's a possibility that that girl, Mikumo, may be a cyborg. She wouldn't be the first, as Sheryl's producer, Grace O'Connor in Frontier was one. Plus, I think those drones were buried with her, as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20