• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: And you thought there is never a girl online?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
And the split from Chuunbiyo appears! Namely, I may not end up liking main character Hideki because he's really getting the "meet, help, romance" order wrong. I hope this revelation that Ako places the game's reality above actual reality to this degree that's everyone's agreed reality is still no match for hers starts a reassessment in his summertime goals because whether she's willing or not, she's still delusional and if Hideki tries to kickstart a real relationship based upon Ako just being his willing wife, no matter what... Nice guy or not, they're just not on the same level of reality.

Ako's the exact opposite of Sherry from Gate. Of course, Sherry was more a 30 year old woman in the body of a ten year old but that's medieval fantasy for you. That was funny, this I find creepy. He has to convince her that being his real girlfriend is better than just being his game wife because that relationship means nothing in the real world. Otherwise, he may as well try to date a ten year old who claims to be his wife.

If they stopped playing the game cold would Ako as she sees herself would still exist? The gang from SNAFU needed each other, even Rika from Chuunbiyo just needed someone to understand her. Ako needs professional help.

So, sure. Funny episode at first. These uneasy emotions crept in later. "Silly man, you can't date her. You're already married." And she just wants to be a housewife... Do we even want to know what that means to her?

Hideki needs to do something, anything, fast. Well, anything except dating. Start with, well, not so much "We should see other people" but maybe "Do you even see people or are we just our game avatars to you?"
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised when after Hideki walks in on her, she closes the door and gets more naked.

I LOVED that. With how the series has gone, when she said "let me get ready" I IMMEDIATELY knew where that was going, because of COURSE the problem was "she wasn't naked ENOUGH". Laughing
Quote:
Although really, male anime characters should know by now that when a girl says don't open the door=I'm not dressed for company at the moment. Really just always knock before opening the door to someone else's room/the bathroom.

In his defense, he DID knock, but also he went in because she was staying away from school and of COURSE she's gonna tell him not to open the door, no matter whether she was dressed or not. If he had "waited", I don't think the situation on the other side of the door would have gotten "better" no matter how much time he gave her.

I also appreciated that she complained about her mother giving him permission to come get her but praised her mom for giving Ako herself to her new "husband". Also, I think this episode dispells any concern about if "Rusian" reciprocates her feelings. (I'm wondering if they're going to continue with things like the teacher referring to him by his character name)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Ep 6 review wrote:
Sadly, Ako's mindset on school is not even a slight exaggeration

I was sort of impressed that they managed to get her through exams intact. She wants to present herself as stupid but she has to have something on the ball or she wouldn't have passed even with her friends' coaching.

As for the confession -- by what logic did Hideki expect to be rejected in the first place? The girl has a) been hanging on him every chance she gets, b) calling herself his waifu, 3) declared her willingness for him to have sex with her for pete's sake. He should have sailed into it with complete confidence and that would have been funnier. OK there was a misunderstanding in the park there but he couldn't even find the poise to ask "why not?" Of course it was all to set up the comedy and at least they pulled it off thankfully.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
B = 2.8?
This community...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
B = 2.8?
This community...

Now it stands at 3.0, so I guess some early downvotes that brought down the average.

ANN's episode 7 Review wrote:
Later, the classic scene of a boy walking in on a girl in the bath gets reversed, with Ako catching Hideki starkers and being so thrown by it that she runs off – Hideki, of course, is the one who's mortified about being exposed.

Ako didn't ran off, it was Akane that dragged Ako off-screen, while the latter was saying, "But I wanted to see a little more!"
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Later, the classic scene of a boy walking in on a girl in the bath gets reversed, with Ako catching Hideki starkers and being so thrown by it that she runs off – Hideki, of course, is the one who's mortified about being exposed.

Didn't Akane drag Ako away because Ako was too busy ogling Hideki's privates?

At any rate, here's to hoping the sextin- I mean couples' talk doesn't go too far, for Ako's sake. I wonder if the hacker was targeting Hideki in particular to get to Ako, or if this was just a lucky coincidence.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Kind of saw that twist at the end coming when the first login attempt failed... assuming that spoiler[he has indeed been hacked] I wonder how that will affect Ako when she realizes; she seems liable to retreat further inside herself/the game but now possibly having trust issues with Rusian as well. How the series handles that will really be interesting to see.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Eating chips with chopsticks keeps your computer clean. Have you ever tried to clean food crumbs from your keyboard?
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention eating chips with chopsticks isn't really all that unheard of in Japan.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
And thus NTRge ends before it even began, thanks to swift action from everyone involved.

Hopefully Ako realizes the difference between an ingame relationship and a real relationship thanks to this.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8 review wrote:
Ako was unnerved by the creep factor that the imposter imposed on Rusian's character, Hideki is upset about both Ako being exposed to that

This is where the story and I parted ways for a bit.

I realize that a) these are rather emotional children, b) many people and not just children take their online experiences seriously and c) online game assets can actually be worth more than zero.

But at the same time they are acting as if Ako had actually been molested by a stranger. And even in the virtual world nothing happened other than a few words were interchanged. They are supposed to be weaning Ako out of the fantasy world not cementing her further into it. But now she is being validated into treating herself as much of a victim as a girl groped on a train or dragged into an alley. That's just wrong. An if Hideki feels like she has actually "been with another man" that is wrong on multiple levels.

I'm not going to ruin my day over that but I just don't think that shouldn't pass without comment.
Quote:
as it was set up on a public computer to temporarily replace the normal login screen for Legendary Age

A couple of things about that. Unless the bad guy could hack the computer from remote (not as likely as you would think) he would have had to have physical access to install the malware. I would be the hotel would have had some record of him and would have been willing to cooperate. (They have a vested interest since they could be victims of the same guy on something more serious. Business hotels these days have to be a lot more security savvy than they used to.)

Second, a better hack wouldn't have been detectible. A keyboard logger would have been much more effective since it could catch anything not just that one gaming web site. I would never use a public terminal to access my bank accounts.

Third, the explanations about IP addresses was pretty simplistic but at least had no fallacies. I was actually a bit more impressed by the honeypot idea that Hideki set up. That would actually work in real life as long as the fake site was convincing enough.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Ako was smart enough to realize that she wasn't talking to the real Rusian. She may be delusional about the boundary between online and reality but at least she knows enough about Rusian to know he wouldn't say whatever Scammy McCreepypants said, or whatever his name was. I was worried Ako would think fake Rusian was the real one and lose trust in him. Then we'd have to deal with a phase of awkward distrust followed by a rebuilding of it.

Also, changing your IP is neither as hard or nefarious as they imply. All one needs to do is use a proxy or VPN. I don't know much about proxies but VPNs have legitimate uses.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
But at the same time they are acting as if Ako had actually been molested by a stranger. And even in the virtual world nothing happened other than a few words were interchanged. They are supposed to be weaning Ako out of the fantasy world not cementing her further into it. But now she is being validated into treating herself as much of a victim as a girl groped on a train or dragged into an alley. That's just wrong. An if Hideki feels like she has actually "been with another man" that is wrong on multiple levels.

I don't see that it matters if it's virtual rather than physical sexual harassment; it's out of bounds and probably (depending on country) over the line into being illegal, especially for someone of Ako's age. And I didn't see anything which even remotely suggested that Hideki saw her as having been sullied.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And I didn't see anything which even remotely suggested that Hideki saw her as having been sullied.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of any doubt. But he was getting preeeetty close to it here:

In that conversation Master set his head straight. Hideki seems to basically a good guy and I am in favor of him actually being serious about Ako. I do have concerns about her being too needy and too dependent on him but none of it is really too far afield from what happens in real life.

I agree that online harassment is a problem and in fact it is a news issue for good reason. But it is a matter of degree. I have little doubt that anyone who has been assaulted in real life would consider Ako's situation a violation, but not to the extent that they have experienced.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
But at the same time they are acting as if Ako had actually been molested by a stranger. And even in the virtual world nothing happened other than a few words were interchanged. They are supposed to be weaning Ako out of the fantasy world not cementing her further into it.

The show spent 7 episodes prior to this one reinforcing EXACTLY what you said, that Ako was having issues distinguishing between "Game" and "IRL". In that sense, it seems entirely reasonable to me that Hideki would at LEAST see someone doing something to Ako "in the game" as equivalent TO HER as doing it "IRL". He has MULTIPLE TIMES now tried to essentially make her his girlfriend and each time he's been blocked by her view of their relationship IN THE GAME. (Also, altho everything was fine when he went to see her, I'll remind that he has already had her strip naked BECAUSE of their "game" relationship, and altho it turned out nothing happened, the hacker requested something similar)
Quote:
Unless the bad guy could hack the computer from remote (not as likely as you would think) he would have had to have physical access to install the malware.

From what I saw, there wasn't any "malware", all he did was go to a different site that he had mocked up to look exactly like the Legendary Age site but when you clicked the "Login" button, rather than logging in, it saved your info and THEN redirected to the correct "actual" page. The negative on this trick is you only catch one person (assuming they don't notice) the positive is that it's REALLY EASY to implement. Of course, it does also assume that the computers "default" to that page (and that they're doing that via the web rather than through the game interface) but both those things appear to have been true in this case.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5