• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Power Rangers Film's 'Translucent Extraterrestrial Armor' Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why people are complaining about these outfits. Do people really think campy Sentai outfits are going to work in a modern sci fi action movie? The last time Hollywood used the more traditional Sentai outfits in a theatrical released Power Rangers movie was that awful Turbo A Power Rangers movie and we all know how that turned out. I think the new outfits look really slick and cool. It's like they're taking the spirit of the classic 95 movie and updating it for modern times which is kind of what a reboot is supposed to do. These new outfits certainly look a lot more impressive than that lame cosplay Scarlet Jo is wearing for the live action GITS movie that everyone on ANN was going ga ga over.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
Not bad at all. These could have been much worse. It's too bad Rita's outfit wasn't given as much thought as these.

Funny you mention that because someone made an observation a few minutes ago.

CookieXL

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I think it's looking good, even couple of my friends who grew up with the ''Power Rangers'' are saying it's good. Only thing that i don't like is that the women are wearing high heels. Confused What's up with that?
Guile

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I'm not too sure how to feel...
They are cool-looking and do fit into what I think is a "modern day" MMPR, but at the same time they're so far off from the original that my nostalgic love for the series is turned off.

Wouldn't a modern-day Sentai costume be any of the recent series? Zyuohger or Ninninger?

I was worried they would turn them into a superhero costume, but I didn't expect a complete Iron Man rip off. Though Bandora looking like Loki's sister should have been a tip off.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Do they look cool? A little. Would I call this Power Rangers? Not in the slightest. The designer mustn't be a fan of the franchise since they took costumes from a franchise where they're primarily cloth and mechanized. It's perverse. If this were any other comic book film there is no way that this would be accepted; if Marvel had done thus to Spider-Man and dared called this his standard costume people would riot.

cloudthe23 wrote:
The new suits look awesome, I don't know why everyone is b!tching about them. Everyone being blinded by their nostalgia that they can't even think to give it chance, this armor alien-like suit look way better than the colorful spandex that were worn on MMPR, so people please stop whining and wait until the movie comes out.

This is why you shouldn't be a costume designer. You and the person in charge of these designs share the same mindset; "coolness" over faithfulness rather than seeking a balance. Okay, this is a reboot but, it's still based off of existing property and these costumes don't resemble much. Even the armoured costumes in DC's Injustice got the balance of creating new armoured costumes while homaging classic costumes. So yes, the costumes look cool but seeing as they are 100% different from every single costume in 39(?) years of Super Sentai they're just bad. There were so many different ways this could have been done.

Last edited by Re:SOUL on Thu May 05, 2016 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
The problem is Power Rangers was a show that never really took itself seriously cause it was a kids oriented show (despite splicing in scenes from multiple Sentai shows)

in space, Time force and RPM would like to have a word with you, unless you were just referring to mighty morphin

And Go-Busters although that was converted into PR.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
i think there's a pretty broad middle ground they could have taken between "primary colored spandex" and "MILLION PANELS AND GLOWING PIPING ON EVERYTHINg like the ironman movies it's gonna be FUKKEN SICK bro"

but nostalgia is a cultural cancer and the movie is going to be garbage anyway sooooo
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I kind of like the outfits, from an over-designed Obariesque approach. Only needs to be more risque to fall within Angel Blade territory.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
theNightster wrote:
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
The problem is Power Rangers was a show that never really took itself seriously cause it was a kids oriented show (despite splicing in scenes from multiple Sentai shows)

in space, Time force and RPM would like to have a word with you, unless you were just referring to mighty morphin

And Go-Busters although that was converted into PR.

Actually Saban skipped over Go-Busters and went straight to Kyoryuger (AKA Dino Charge). Which is a shame because Go-Busters was a pretty good season and it probably would have made more sense to adapt THAT into a "mature" power rangers movie instead of going all the way back to Mighty Morphin what with Go-busters dark plot.

They could have even used it to bridge Megaforce (which is still one of the dumbest names for a team ever) to Dino Charge if they really wanted to.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
deidara517 wrote:
this whole thing is going to be a mess from the rita repulsa costumes and the alt costume looking NOTHING like the original and overly political correct casting of the actual power rangers and now their costumes and origin of them.

Politically correct? Did you even watch the original?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
CookieXL wrote:
I think it's looking good, even couple of my friends who grew up with the ''Power Rangers'' are saying it's good. Only thing that i don't like is that the women are wearing high heels. Confused What's up with that?

This is honestly my only real complaint. High heels, from a practical perspective, kinda suck to walk around on. There's a reason a lot of women will carry sneakers with them to put on after work.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, people are nitpicking about the costumes. They're not 100% accurate, but to compare it to "Dragonball Evolution?" At least you can tell who these characters are supposed to be. Most adaptations would have made the suits darker for the sake of gritty realism.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Do they look cool? A little. Would I call this Power Rangers? Not in the slightest. The designer mustn't be a fan of the franchise since they took costumes from a franchise where they're primarily cloth and mechanized. It's perverse. If this were any other comic book film there is no way that this would be accepted; if Marvel had done thus to Spider-Man and dared called this his standard costume people would riot.

And yet not a single soul rioted over the costume that was used for the entirety of Amazing Spider-Man nor the one being used in Civil War.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

And yet not a single soul rioted over the costume that was used for the entirety of Amazing Spider-Man nor the one being used in Civil War.

Actually I knew more than a few people who got mad over the Civil War costume...even though it still somewhat resembles the original so I don't know why they were hating.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Honestly, people are nitpicking about the costumes. They're not 100% accurate, but to compare it to "Dragonball Evolution?" At least you can tell who these characters are supposed to be. Most adaptations would have made the suits darker for the sake of gritty realism.

I'd argue these are better reinterpretations than the PR movie:

Piccolo does look a little too much like Nosferatu (needs a darker green tint and more pronounced antennae) and Chow Yun Fat could've maybe used a bald cap, but it's hard to say Fox screwed up Goku's gi. I'll give you Bulma, Yamcha and Mai, but good luck bringing those original designs into the movie DBE aimed to be.

As for this movie not being gritty, well, I don't think the staff got that memo. In the EW post, the production designer says, “Ours is an alien costume that grows on them, that’s not man-made. You can’t win everyone over, but we are trying to appeal to a more mature audience and gain new fans.”
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6