• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Miss Machiko Anime for Streaming Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desslok

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Seems to me that this is what Kickstarter should be for. Not necessarily this title, and not necessarily something like Escaflowne where the campaign was basically a preorder venue with 30% taken off the top for the company, but for shows that probably aren't strong enough to get a release - Skip Beat, Riding Bean, Otaku No Video - shows that might not have a chance at life.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Seems to me that this is what Kickstarter should be for. Not necessarily this title, and not necessarily something like Escaflowne where the campaign was basically a preorder venue with 30% taken off the top for the company, but for shows that probably aren't strong enough to get a release - Skip Beat, Riding Bean, Otaku No Video - shows that might not have a chance at life.
Yeah I'm disappointed that people funded that, I suppose they didn't feel like they had a choice with Funi basically holding the show hostage.

I wouldn't mind Machiko being Kickstered personally, just to give it a shot in the west.
meronichan

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
I checked out the opening for this and I'll have to pass. Holy, crap is this about a teacher's students sexually harassing her? It kind of hurts my head.

But I do think this is a cool idea and hopefully they could do more shows like this. My personal choice would be Patalliro! which is also a show I could never see coming out on DVD in the states (old, weird art style, weird content) but I've been dying for years for more fan subs of it to come out.

Oh my God yes, I was just about to post this. Patalliro please. Especially since they're re-releasing the series in Japan on DVD this year!
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Releasing a show streaming to gage interest is giving the show a chance. I'm getting sick of established companies jumping to Kickstater. I understand some cases, but it's getting a little too popular. (*cough*Digital Manga*cough*). Besides, most of the anime Kickstarter campaigns also released the show streaming,
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I pray that they recover from limbo the Mighty Orbots TV series, it is technically anime, it is only one cour long and already has an english and spanish dub.

I'm impressed someone referred to a normal season as "cour" here (13 has always been the standard for Saturday morning for along time).

Fronzel wrote:
An early '80s fanservice comedy. A fanservice comedy from before the otaku boom.

Might be cool. I'll check it out.

It was quite a different time when shows like Urusei Yatsura came on and nobody bat an eyelash at it besides that small group of fans who continued to grow in the ensuing years.

Parse Error wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Didn't the Otaku boom take place around the time this show was airing?

Technically yes, but most people tend to ignore the back and forth relationship between anime/manga and their otaku until typically the mid-2000s.

Nobody ever really seems to care of the history or what led up to where it was at the start of this century.

Chrno2 wrote:
Amen to that. That's a series that hasn't seen a release in a dog's age. The closest was a couple of VHS tapes. And of course if you were of the "trade" generation that only way you could get it is if you recorded off Saturday morning TV.

Never heard of it as "Trade Generation", though being almost middle aged, I suppose it's hard for people to think of a time when you had to have a VCR for this stuff, let alone, connections, either through magazines, conventions or word of mouth, to know any of this stuff existed outside the mainstream. Not many people ever really taped Saturday morning regularly in the 80's (what with the usual crap that was on back then), I suppose we ought to be lucky anyone caught an interest in this half-hour series on ABC and saved it at all back in '84/85.

Quote:
Hey DISCOTEK!!! Make it happen!!!

Oh we'll keep praying!

I do wonder if MGM still has the show or not (or has it been confirmed that it's in WB's vault these days?), apparently someone asked TMS this and they said they didn't own the show at all (sadly, they at least still hold onto Galaxy High School, one of the few made-for-US programs they did).

Quote:
But this is an interesting acquisition. Now with Discotek getting more into older shows it be interesting to see if one day we see an adult label pop up. I often wonder if any company would ever try their hands at releasing any 'Cream Lemon' films as part of a set of adult collectors.

Now that would be interesting. Cream Lemon certainly holds historic value to some I'm sure.

Beltane70 wrote:
Brand wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Have many people seen this in the west? I'm just curious as I'm sure if this was one of those titles like Angels Egg, which didn't come over but has a small following in the west.

I've been into anime for about 24 years now and this is the first I've heard of it so I'm going to say probably not. Though, if Discotek could get their hands on Angels Egg that would be awesome.

I've been into anime for over 30 years and, I too, have haven't heard of it until now!

Poor souls! I guess I'm glad you never heard of "In The Aftermath" either, and for a good reason you don't, we never discuss that here!
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of this show but I will try to check out at least a few episodes, especially if it ends up being on Crunchyroll. I hope this is successful; most long-time anime fans have some "obscure" series we'd like to watch legally. If it works out for Discotek perhaps other companies will get in on it; Right Stuf, for example, has picked up a few older shows but AFAIK has not licensed anything just for streaming as of yet.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Good to see you again Studio Toledo.

Well, to us you know it was never called the 'Trade Generation'. i just referred to it that way mainly because some of us could only get certain anime shows or films through someone that had access to it.

Many of the people I got to know were close associates of Fred Patten back in the day. While I may not have known him those people who ran the early anime clubs back in the 80's did. And many of them were much older than me at the time. In 3 more years I'll be hitting the big 50. This was how I got my shows, and overtime you'd run into more people that had something of interest. Not to mention many of these individuals did record just about everything they could from TV. Either on Beta or VHS.

The trade thing had to do with if someone had something you wanted sometimes they asked you for something of interest. So could be a show for show. If you didn't have anything (as these folks had enough stuff already so what could you give?) they'd ask you to purchase a quality blank VHS tape and give that as a trade.

But again very pleased that some older shows are getting notice. Who knows maybe we'll one day reach a point of more vintage streaming.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Good to see you again Studio Toledo.

Thanks!

Quote:
The trade thing had to do with if someone had something you wanted sometimes they asked you for something of interest. So could be a show for show. If you didn't have anything (as these folks had enough stuff already so what could you give?) they'd ask you to purchase a quality blank VHS tape and give that as a trade.

That's what I did a number of times, but I was glad when I had something to trade as well..

Quote:
But again very pleased that some older shows are getting notice. Who knows maybe we'll one day reach a point of more vintage streaming.

That's the way I see it, if it happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3