• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thunderbolt Fantasy (puppet TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:23 am Reply with quote
Lang, I am your father. Join me, and together we will rule the Underworld as father and son! Laughing

I dunno. I think Shang still has a mirror shard or two up his sleeve, literally, so he could use that to escape. But I think Lin will break character and let us know wtf is going on, once our merry evil trio leaves on their corpse fishing vacation. At this point I really have no theories, although I guess Lin could've killed Can Yun knowing he had some way of bringing him back (doing his own little time trip?). We may still not have all the puzzle pieces in place yet. And the players are still scattered all over the place in both time and space.

I get such a kick out of how easily Lou seems to unnerve SBD with his affections. His single-minded adoration really throws her off balance, since she's not in control of it. I wonder if he'll feel the same if/when she's back in a flesh body and he can't easily carry her around all the time, or whether it's actually her demonic radiance as a sword that has him so thoroughly besotted.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
It is always great how he freaks her out.

Gonbawa wrote:
Indeed, the way Piaomiao is acting is suspicious : he's saving Shang life at the last minute with mere words and appears to not knowing well the very principles of life of his own master when tested. I suspect "him" to be Lin in disguise. But it could be just my mind grasping a feeble straw of hope.

Oh then… Oooh, but… That’s an interesting theory…
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12
Aahhhh I actually forgot about that magic bag trick!! And of course only Can Yun would be stupid enough to impersonate Lin! And of course Piaomiao would impersonate Can Yun if it could get him close to Shang and the Index! And of course Dan Fei would recognize Can Yun by his incomplete training and dispel his enslavement to Seven Blasphemous Deaths! And the best part is how Lin put everybody’s lives on the line just to get to Ming Huang, that magnificent bastard!

Jun Po, meanwhile, has finally found his resolve now that he’s got the Index and is the only one available to oppose Zhao Jun Lin. He’s making a proper show of it, turning his back on Ming Huang and Chao Feng in front of the troops and basically doing what he should’ve done from the very beginning, but he’s still too conflicted to ally with Shang. Even though he knows deep down that Shang is right and that the Index is a tool for tyrants, he’s still too scared to lead a revolution without it. And it turns out this is too well-intentioned an inner conflict for Lin’s tastes.

For all Xing Hai’s and SBD’s planning, they just left Lou in the past where he could stir up who knows how much temporal trouble. I mean, wouldn’t he likely scoop up past-SBD if left there? His ability to throw them off their game really is uncanny.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, it looks like we each got at least one thing right! I think Lou won't be truly happy until SBD is back in her sword and both she and he get sealed into the Index to be together for eternity. Very Happy Can you seal a person in there by inking their portrait on the scroll?

Lol at Dan Fei's expression of utter exasperation at "Lin's" miserable swordplay. That was some impressive body language to draw out of a puppet!
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Ep 13
Explosive! And not just because of all the fire effects during the big battle!

Jun Po wields the Index against Zhao Jun Lin but finds himself too tainted by Ming Huang’s power to wield the swords properly, so he’s forced to use a sword while it burns him alive. Shang and Lin bait Xing Hai with a mirror crystal into revealing Zhao Jun Lin’s secret technique, and Shang comes to Jun Po’s rescue just in time. Although Zhao Jun Lin puts up a brave front against them, eventually she tries to escape through another crystal, but just in time, Lin repairs the timeline and brings Lou back from the past. Lou gleefully turns Zhao Jun Lin into Seven Blasphemous Deaths all over again, uses her crystal to take them both to the depths of space, and brings his obsession to its logical end at last. Thoroughly humbled over the course of the battle, Jun Po entrusts his troops to Dan Fei to be trained as Hu Yin Shi, returns the Index to Shang, and uses the final crystal to confront the emperor.

And, well… It seems Ming Huang truly has no ambition to take Xi You’s throne…

So Azibelpher is teaming up with Xing Hai now to play further games with Lang, and Tian Ming will be getting involved in that, but we’ll have to wait until next season or movie or whichever to see how that develops. This season leaves more plot threads and character arcs hanging than any previous one, but I can’t complain at all when they’re all still this compelling!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, eternity in the Index or in space... Well, the latter is easiest but it puts a pretty permanent end to both characters, which is a shame, whereas they might've escaped from the Index somehow for future installments. Still, I guess I'm glad to see Lou's pure love rewarded in the end.

It certainly does seem like they're expecting to do more, and I hope they get to. Also, squee for Shang's Nendoroid finally making an appearance!
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:47 pm Reply with quote
It feels like this season was mostly setup for the last two seasons (I recall reading from an Urobutcher interview there's 5 planned seasons). I did enjoy this but all this buildup left me hungry for better fights. I was expecting something more grand than what was shown. Also this season introduced so many characters that, imo, they weren't used to their full extents -- Mantis felt like a jobber, techowizard dude had no more relevance after the robot arm, and I guess the otherworldy aliens.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:03 am Reply with quote
Oh, 5 seasons? Source?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately I can't find the source of that interview so take what I said with a grain of salt! If I ever find it again, I'll post here it for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3