• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's Up With Dollar Store Anime Releases?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
When ever I go to a flee market, dollar store or walmart I always go though what I call the video dumpster. Not that long ago at one of my local flee markets I happened to come across a mint VHS copy of Gundam Wing Endless Waltz for only 10 bucks so I quickly snatched it up and to this day it remains my greatest find. Very Happy
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
CatSword wrote:
For some reason I see a lot of the Marvel anime (Blade, Iron Man, etc) at dollar stores.

Same here. For a year or so, also, Tales of the Black Freighter flooded these bargain DVD shelves. (That was the animated companion movie to the live-action Watchmen.)

The Marvel anime DVDs seem like they're staples of the standard cheap supermarket DVD stands, alongside stuff like random episode compilation discs of Batman The Animated Series and 2003 Ninja Turtles. They're like eight bucks or less - I'm not surprised they're falling all the way down to dollar bargain territory by now.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:03 am Reply with quote
One thing we used to have in the UK was a little rack of VHS tapes and later DVDs in corner newsagents for a pound or two. Somewhere I have a Thunderbirds 2086 tape I found once (along with Fireball XL5 and Fingerbobs). On a holiday in England once I also found a cheap disc with two or three unrelated things on, one of which was Voltron or something similar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
I would imagine this is that Mike Toole would use for his panels on obscure anime English dubs. I have seen such DVDs at Walgreens.

Last edited by Kadmos1 on Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrXL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
Surprised no one has mentioned what is undoubtedly the greatest animated film of all time, Raiders of Galaxy.

Joseph Lai's Crown Jewel, it stands as a testament to both the cruelty of man to it's creations and the power of Disco against Blue guys named Andrew. I almost cried after watching the scene where, after enjoying a game of badminton with their robotic companions, two supposedly innocent children skin their friends in the hopes of deceiving a commando team into fulfilling their death wish through a suicide mission!

The title in itself stands as a testament to the Nietzschean apathy possessed by the conductors of this abyssal masterpiece. Seemingly without concern for simple grammar, it denotes the nature of the entire film. Rather than being Raiders of a Galaxy they raid the very concept of a galactic union. Nothing can remain united whilst the nature of man tears at even its own facsimiles of life and creation. If only authors such as Kentaro Miura or Makoto Yukimura could integrate these concepts as handily the world might be able to change at even a greater pace than it already has... Anime cry
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

This may or may not count, but I recall seeing a glut of Salaryman Kintaro box-sets being vended for next to nothing in a small-town shop several years ago. I declined the offer through my suspicions of their authenticity, though I recall they later proved to be genuine.

They were legit, iirc.

The company was Artsmagic, traded in R1 and R2 territories. They releases some good stuff, especially live action. They had 9 Souls, Bullet Ballet, Wild Life, great Japanese movies, in terms of anime they also released an early CG called A.Li.Ce as well as Blue Remains. I think Salaryman Kintaro was their only traditional anime, and it was a full series. They were full price releases before the five disc boxset, but I think they overestimated the UK market, which is why those boxsets wound up in the Works for a fiver apiece.

One legit Works boxset I recall, or rather two were in collaboration with MVM, who put ten of their titles in each collection, a whole lot of volume 1s, a couple of OVAs, and some movies (Ranma and Urusei Yatsura) and sold them for fifteen quid each, dropping quickly to a tenner each. £1 a disc served as quite a gateway drug into a fair few anime series, and it was my introduction to R.O.D The TV, Haibane Renmei, Bubblegum Crisis, and Gungrave.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
From my perspective, I didn't know discount DVDs were becoming rare. I still see them at every Big Lots I've visited, and even the Wal•Marts still have a rack of mockbusters up at the front. I do notice titles come and go though. I'm glad I nabbed Santa Claus Conquers the Martians when I could, but I foolishly passed on the Mexican film simply called Santa Claus.

Justin is talking about direct to dollar store DVDs dying out. The stuff a lot of people in this thread are finding are general market, professional releases that have been liquidated down to dollar stores.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
They were full price releases before the five disc boxset, but I think they overestimated the UK market, which is why those boxsets wound up in the Works for a fiver apiece.

Well remembered! That was the very store in which I noticed them! I kept returning on occasions thereafter to see if any other anime would appear, but to no avail.

Revolutionary wrote:
Reminds me of CDi Zelda, but even that at least had the animation and voice acting matching...IIRC.

Would it be passé for me to make a "mah boy" joke in this day and age? That is very much my inclination.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Justin is talking about direct to dollar store DVDs dying out. The stuff a lot of people in this thread are finding are general market, professional releases that have been liquidated down to dollar stores.

If that's the case, I'm having a hard time telling the difference, considering those DVDs have no advertisement so I have to stumble across them, and discount stores don't really differentiate between them.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
The dollar stores near me rarely carry DVDs anymore. The last time I saw an anime one that was direct-to-dollar-store was over 5 years ago. They've pretty much disappeared.

I got my copy of Tekkonkinkreet from one too. Laughing
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I remember when Dollar Tree sold these types of DVDs for 50 cents. Yes, they were even discounted there! Most of them were poor copies of old public domain movies. This even included classic movies like His Girl Friday, Night of the Living Dead, A Star is Born, etc, and old Fleischer and Warner Bros cartoons. It's actually how I first saw all of those. Mill Creek used to release a bunch of giant cheap boxsets with 25-100 public domain movies per set. I own their horror boxset, though most of the content has bad picture quality and muffled audio. Actually Mill Creek is the only one of those companies to actually movie onto doing proper releases of major properties. They have a giant deal with Sony that basically gives them the license to all their old catalog TV shows. They do Blu-rays now too.

The only anime I recall seeing in a dollar store DVD is Kimba the White Lion, but it only had a couple episodes, and they had that weird early 90s dub.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:44 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
The company was Artsmagic, traded in R1 and R2 territories.

I bought their M@lice Doll, in part because it was by Konaka and in part because they were based in Wales (I later discovered MVM are also, but Artsmagic had their address on a sticker on the box making it stand out)

Quote:
One legit Works boxset I recall, or rather two were in collaboration with MVM, who put ten of their titles in each collection, a whole lot of volume 1s, a couple of OVAs, and some movies (Ranma and Urusei Yatsura) and sold them for fifteen quid each, dropping quickly to a tenner each. £1 a disc served as quite a gateway drug into a fair few anime series, and it was my introduction to R.O.D The TV, Haibane Renmei, Bubblegum Crisis, and Gungrave.

The CEX near me was stuffed with those discs for years, for a few pound each - even while they were still selling as a whole box for a tenner in The Works.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3