• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Chihayafuru Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
OMFG YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I'M FIRED UP, BABY.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I 100% honestly yelled when I saw this news. Instant-buy for me! I adore this series. Very Happy

I near about yelled myself!

*high five* I had almost given up hope that this incredible show would ever make it stateside, so I'm absolutely getting this the second I can. Hopefully it'll be near a holiday or the like so I'll have some extra cash.

It had such well-developed characters and emotionally relatable themes. In those regards it's certainly one of the best anime I've seen in years. I don't know how a dub could work personally but I loved the sub as is so I'll take it however it's released (fingers crossed for a BD!)
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
myskaros wrote:

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I 100% honestly yelled when I saw this news. Instant-buy for me! I adore this series. Very Happy

I near about yelled myself!

*high five* I had almost given up hope that this incredible show would ever make it stateside, so I'm absolutely getting this the second I can. Hopefully it'll be near a holiday or the like so I'll have some extra cash.

It had such well-developed characters and emotionally relatable themes. In those regards it's certainly one of the best anime I've seen in years. I don't know how a dub could work personally but I loved the sub as is so I'll take it however it's released (fingers crossed for a BD!)

Before I left, I maintained a Chihayafuru topic on the NISA boards just with general information and links and stuff. If I thought my blog would be any help, I would blog more about it too! Alas, the only thing I've done recently is buy the French translations (more accurately: I got my mom to buy them when she was over there >.>).
Naniwa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I am so so HAPPY. I have been waiting for this for so long. I also nearly screamed, but I remembered in time that it's currently 3am here lol.

Sentai keeps surprising me, the way they keep doing what people asks is incredible. Just a few weeks ago they announced the bluray releases for hakuouki, I had almost given up on seeing that on bluray, and now this.

Now if they make a collectors edition from this, that would be just perfect.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
So sentai finally licensed a new show how long has it been since there last one?there is a reason NIS never touched this series and now sentai is probably betting the farm with it.

It's been less than six weeks since they announced Little Busters EX, so it hasn't been very long. The rest of your post is a huge amount of conjecture based on absolutely nothing. Whatever NISA has or has notlicensed has nothing to do with Sentai, especially considering that they haven't licensed anything in at least a year. Sentai has also scaled back its licensing of simulcasts because of the cost of shows, so I doubt they overpayed for this title.
Like When They Cry and Familiar of Zero, this is one of the titles that Sentai most often gets requests for. It makes sense that they would have looked into licensing it.

I Love familar of zero and when they cry a ton, but they are not actually making money on those titles...there is a difference between hard core fan favorites that will not make money there is a reason they get begged for years to do it!

Little Busters Under performed for them and they only got more OVAs for it because it was cheap and the game was just announced for the us.they may have had the rights to it already and just thought it was not worth it to release it. Also an OVA epilogue "series" that were bundled with the episodes in japan hardly count.

Sentai would have announced new licenses at anime expo if they had anything that they thought was worth mentioning but they didn't they announced they would dub stuff they licensed well over a year ago.

Look at NIS americas catalog filled with extremely japanese or shojo romances titles and tell me chihyafuru is not the perfect match for them. that is why they got asked when they were releasing every ANN cast and every major con they were at. Also lets be honest here NIS america has been dead for well over a year lets be honest, when you stop being able to license new content you are dead as a publisher.
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Also lets be honest here NIS america has been dead for well over a year lets be honest, when you stop being able to license new content you are dead as a publisher.

Why do we need to be honest twice?! Razz

NISA was originally and primarily a video game localization company. They're still releasing games in the US and Europe.
JRPGNATION

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Dub it and I buy it. Twisted Evil
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
(So... while thinking about series that we thought would never be released on Blu-Ray/DVD... Shugo Chara! next, please? Don't care if it's a sub-only barebones release; I just want a physical release of it on my shelf. >.>)

But that means they would have to acknowledge Party's existence and nobody wants to do that. Rolling Eyes
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
SO HAPPY! Hooray! Very Happy
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
Before I left, I maintained a Chihayafuru topic on the NISA boards just with general information and links and stuff. If I thought my blog would be any help, I would blog more about it too! Alas, the only thing I've done recently is buy the French translations (more accurately: I got my mom to buy them when she was over there >.>).

That's really wonderful to hear! Even smaller fandoms can have an impact on the series if they're passionate and vocal enough.

I'm jealous you have some of the manga. I'm hoping the anime sells well enough that someone snatches that up too.
niastyle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
Please let it be dubbed...Please let it be dubbed....Please let it be dubbed. I love this series. I was beginning to give up hope that it would ever be licensed. I'm so excited! Shocked
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
niastyle wrote:
Please let it be dubbed...Please let it be dubbed....Please let it be dubbed. I love this series. I was beginning to give up hope that it would ever be licensed. I'm so excited! Shocked

As much as I want to see an English version of Chihayafuru, I think the chance of it happening is pretty slim... Sad
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:05 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
So sentai finally licensed a new show how long has it been since there last one?there is a reason NIS never touched this series and now sentai is probably betting the farm with it.

It's been less than six weeks since they announced Little Busters EX, so it hasn't been very long. The rest of your post is a huge amount of conjecture based on absolutely nothing. Whatever NISA has or has notlicensed has nothing to do with Sentai, especially considering that they haven't licensed anything in at least a year. Sentai has also scaled back its licensing of simulcasts because of the cost of shows, so I doubt they overpayed for this title.
Like When They Cry and Familiar of Zero, this is one of the titles that Sentai most often gets requests for. It makes sense that they would have looked into licensing it.

I Love familar of zero and when they cry a ton, but they are not actually making money on those titles...there is a difference between hard core fan favorites that will not make money there is a reason they get begged for years to do it!

Little Busters Under performed for them and they only got more OVAs for it because it was cheap and the game was just announced for the us.they may have had the rights to it already and just thought it was not worth it to release it. Also an OVA epilogue "series" that were bundled with the episodes in japan hardly count.

Sentai would have announced new licenses at anime expo if they had anything that they thought was worth mentioning but they didn't they announced they would dub stuff they licensed well over a year ago.

Look at NIS americas catalog filled with extremely japanese or shojo romances titles and tell me chihyafuru is not the perfect match for them. that is why they got asked when they were releasing every ANN cast and every major con they were at. Also lets be honest here NIS america has been dead for well over a year lets be honest, when you stop being able to license new content you are dead as a publisher.

Once again, you are making a lot of assumptions with nothing to back them up. Sentai, along with all the other R1 companies, don't publicly release sales numbers. They also don't tell us how much they have paid for a certain title. So whether or not a title makes money is something that we will rarely know.

Sentai has never publicly said anything about the sales numbers for Little Busters, and likely never will. However, considering that they licensed more of it, it's a fairly safe bet that they at least made some money on the title. They don't generally acquire more of shows that failed.

And you are right that they have probably had EX for sometime, as Sentai generally waits to announce titles until they are closer to their street date. The only exceptions over the past year and a half have been Legend of the Galactic Heroes and their simulcast titles (and even some of those don't get announced right off the bat.). This is likely the case with Chihayafuru, and given past precedent, it will probably appear in January's solicitations, which should be due in the next week or two.

Announcements at Anime Expo don't mean they don't have anything to release. They could have announced EX, Chihayafuru, and whatever else new they have coming up over the next few months. However, I'm guessing they decided to announce their titles that were being dubbed because they are new shows that have recently finished up their simulcast runs (or still have them in progress) and it makes sense to keep people talking about them until their releases. Also, dub announcements tend to get their sites and social media more traffic, "shares", and "likes" than catalog acquisitions. Sentai rarely announces catalog acquisitions at cons, particularly large ones, and I doubt that will change. If nothing else, it at least cuts down on how often they get asked "When is __________ coming out?"

Not to mention, Sentai has over 40 titles that we are aware of that are awaiting release. That doesn't include whatever catalog titles, or recent simulcast titles that they haven't announced. That's enough to keep them in business for at least another year, even if they don't license a single new title in that time frame. It's not exactly like they are hurting for a lack of content.

You are also correct about NISA. They haven't licensed anything in a year, but they haven't truly shut down either. Considering that they've said they aren't done with anime and are just looking for the right "opportunity", I have a feeling their lack of licenses has a LOT to do with acquisition costs skyrocketing over the past two years. Not to mention, the market has become quite a bit more crowded since NISA first started.

True, Chihayafuru would have fit well in their catalog, but they didn't get the show for whatever reason. Maybe they didn't want to spend the cash being asked at the time, or perhaps Sentai just has a better relationship with NTV. However, anime is not NISA's primary business, and they could certainly license more shows if something fits into their price range and business model.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
Anime is saved?

Anime is saved.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I have a feeling their lack of licenses has a LOT to do with acquisition costs skyrocketing over the past two years.

With all due respect – and absolutely no disrespect intended – do you have any citations?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4