• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Does The Train System Work In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kemuri-_9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
The only complaint I have with the Tokyo metro system is, if you are not using a transit card and instead buying by the trip, you have to know or look up how much it costs. I like it better in Seoul and most large cities in China, where you just need to tap the name of your destination on the machine and it instantly spits out a ticket.

There are about 175 stations in the Tokyo Metro system alone.
Comparatively there are only 5 standard fare prices, so it's much simpler (from a user interface perspective) to tap a price than to tap a destination within these circumstances.

This is a bit inconvenient for foreigners having to lookup the price, but this methodology is more convenient for the natives who use the train more regularly.

If you want to be lazy about it, you can often buy the lowest fare and then use the ticket fare correction machine at your destination, though this method has issues when it comes to out-of-gate line transfers.

Though, a number of navi programs nowadays (including google maps) will display the route fare price with the directions, so often there isn't a need for a separate lookup for the price.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Also, convince these employees to make more of an effort to call out their destinations. I've missed my stop several times because the conductor can't even be bothered to say a full sentence. Not gonna fly in Japan.

Most Japanese train cars I've been on have some sort of visual display (often in multiple locations in the car) that will show you what stop is next.

Also, once rush hour hits or there's an accident, reliability goes out the window. I've had trains just not show up during one bad evening on JR.
peno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
As someone who absolutely abhors cars (they are unnecessarily finicky moneysinks), I'm all for a faster and more timely railway system in the US. Also, convince these employees to make more of an effort to call out their destinations. I've missed my stop several times because the conductor can't even be bothered to say a full sentence. Not gonna fly in Japan.

Since I am from a country where announcing in trains (and busses, for that matter) is still pretty rare, I can concur that. New trains have both announcement and screens which show next stop, direction and terminus, as well as additional info if needed (like tarif zones, for example). In most cases, these announcements are automated, meaning they are not done by conductor or driver, but instead are pre-recorded and played automatically after the train is leaving a stop or approaching next one (probably done by GPS localisation). That, however, does not mean you will actually hear and/or understand the announcement. I have "lucky" to travel by new trains bought only during the end of last year and beginning of this year, but the announcement is so low, that it sometimes feel like there's no announcement at all. I already complaint about that, but to no avail so far. And sometimes, the LCD monitors doesn't work either, so you are like in old times.
However, most of the trains in my country are so old, that they don't even have speakers, so there's simply no way to announce stops. In these cases, you simply have to watch where you are and if you are unfamiliar with the track, all you have to hope is, that there will be a willing local who will tell you where to leave the train. Plus, there are some oddities where you have one modern car in the whole train who has both announcement and monitor, but the rest of the train has nothing. I really envy Japanese to have announcement and monitors in every train.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Sometimes I wish we(Americans) had the Shinkansen(bullet train).

A new plan is in the works in Texas to have a high-speed rail between Dallas and Houston. This one could possibly work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3