• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon Anime Promo Shows Alola Region Adventures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
Despite the fact that the animation looks terrible I'm still going to give Sun and Moon a try for atleast a few episodes anyway. Confused
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
Still looking better than best wishes honestly. Did they release artwork for team rocket yet?

actually best wishes looks similar to XY. and its a hell of a lot better than this mess. not to mentioned that the rocket gang were a lot much better for the first 26 eps before they reverted to their crappy selves again.

its safe to say that this series might mark the end of the anime if the designs of satoshi are this horendous. i highly sure the japaneese fans are in a massive tizzy fit on how atrocious it is. not to mention that their still keeping his age at 10 and worse, they making him act even younger which is bad bad bad all around.

this mess is a definite auto skip and i wont be surprised if it gets canceled after a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
This is one of the most overdramatic reactions I've seen in the Pokemon fandom. Stay classy, Pokemon fans.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:00 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:
Still looking better than best wishes honestly. Did they release artwork for team rocket yet?

actually best wishes looks similar to XY. and its a hell of a lot better than this mess.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about just the animation but the show as a whole.
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:15 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
This is one of the most overdramatic reactions I've seen in the Pokemon fandom. Stay classy, Pokemon fans.

I know, right. Most of it boils down to 'how dare this kids show look like a kids show!'
I didn't like it much at first but its grown on me and I think its a lot more expressive than the old style which was pretty stiff and ugly imo. The style change seems to be half to allow it to be more expressive/elastic and half a sly attempt at copying what is more popular with kids these days (read: Youkai Watch).
It's pretty sad how many adults forget they arent the target audience Confused. Like you guys realise this show isn't intended to be watched as one continuous series, right? Most of its viewerbase aren't people who grew up with it and have watched it obsessively for the past 20 years. The viewerbase is primarily whoever is currently 3-10 in Japan at the moment; most stop watching it when they grow older than that. You're not supposed to watch every single series and complain about Ash/Satoshi never aging and the plot being repetitive or weird scary new changes, you're supposed to watch whatever series is currently on when you're the target audience and then grow out of it.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liking the show as an adult, just that its pointless to complain about because of things most of the target audience aren't going to care about.

Given that the anime is basically just extended commercials for the games, and how much Sun/Moon is being hyped up as being very different to previous games, it makes sense that they'd want to try something different for the anime too.
ArgentiumTea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
They're spitting on XYZ's legacy.
ChrisA15

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
ChrisA15 wrote:
Why? Why would you go from X&Y, which was a massive improvement over the trash that was B&W, to this BS? Ash seems to be acting more retarded than ever, I am betting we will see a repeat of Pikachu being easily beaten by "Rival's" new acquired starter Pokemon and the character design is horrible, especially for Ash who seems to have gotten younger (Both mentally and physically).

Did you actually watch Best Wishes or are you just echoing the "BW is bad" meme? It was clearly established Zekrom temporarily drained Pikachu's strength which is why he lost to Tsutarja. BW is far from trash. It's still miles above Johto and Kanto, and even Hoenn to a degree. DP and XY beat it out though.

Juno016 wrote:
All these people complaining and thinking the quality has dipped, and yet the rest of the industry is excited to see this as an animation game changer, much like XY was. Seriously, this new season is looking to be more expressive and higher quality than ever before.

I know right? The trailer looks a lot more animated and lively. XY stepped the bar up already, and if they can do it again with Sun and Moon then only better. I love how people are using a single in-between frame to say the animation is bad. The average person doesnt know much about animation I guess.

You are kidding me right? Nothing has come close to Johto. BW was a blatant attempt to copy the first season. Iris was shallow, annoying and was just copy of misty with a different character design and much less character development. Cilan was borderline OK, but again annoying at times with all that connoisseur rubbish. Don't get me started on the animation and entirety of the series was boring.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
you know i'm not bothered by the Art Style, i just wish they would either change or drop Team Rocket

because with them in it we know how EVERY episode will go, Ash meats someone, Team Rocket tries to steal their Pokemon and Pikachu, Ash stops them

if they got rid of them they could do SO much more with the series
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
Team Rocket are the most popular characters in the show. They would never get rid of them. I remember a quote from one of the staff joking they would sooner replace Satoshi or Pikachu before Team Rocket.

jr240483 wrote:
i highly sure the japaneese fans are in a massive tizzy fit on how atrocious it is.

The Japanese fanbase seems to be looking forward to Sun and Moon overall. Lillie seems to be already stealing Serena's fandom away. It's really only westerners freaking out.

-Stuart Smith
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
You're not supposed to watch every single series and complain about Ash/Satoshi never aging and the plot being repetitive or weird scary new changes, you're supposed to watch whatever series is currently on when you're the target audience and then grow out of it.

Except the games are marketed at people of all ages, but especially those who continuously buy the games throughout the years because they're huge fans. For some the anime is a side to the main course. Just as how the TCG scene is still afloat because there are adults who have money to pay to complete sets or attend prereleases and competitive tournaments. Sure all companies have a profit motive and a target audience, and you can get all cynical saying it's intended for kids, but at the end of the day Nintendo knows that the reason they're successful is not for the random kid at a store, but for the fans who go beyond the anime to buy the games/TCG/merchandise/manga etc... The anime's immaturity stems from the fact that not enough people watch for them to risk fanservice, so they play it safe.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:
It's an Alola version of Ash yeah that's what it is, Pokemon S&M (uh ... might be safer to spell out Sun and Moon .....) is just a spin off and not a sequel or anything. Yeah that's all this is .... at least in my mind

I think most people use "SM," which doesn't have any dirty extra meanings, or at least has some clean ones (such as "small").

Juno016 wrote:
All these people complaining and thinking the quality has dipped, and yet the rest of the industry is excited to see this as an animation game changer, much like XY was. Seriously, this new season is looking to be more expressive and higher quality than ever before.

Is that true? I always had the impression that some corners (and open areas) of this site's community can be amazingly negative. I haven't been paying much attention to the anime fanbase much for several years now, just the games.

ETX wrote:
3.) Despite people saying that XY and XY&Z was the best Pokemon anime series to-date (Which I do agree with) It is also the series with the worst ratings in Japan. To put that into perspective, even BW/Best Wishes did better than XY/XY&Z.

I'll bet you that it's not because of the quality or lack of appeal to kids in Japan that caused the ratings for Pokémon X and Y to drop, but because this was around the time Yo-kai Watch got started, which became tough competition for the franchise. Considering Yo-kai Watch is as strong as ever, that means I'll also bet the Pokémon Sun and Moon ratings are going to be similar to that of X and Y. (Looks like someone else has beaten me to it though.)

It does mean the Pokémon anime has to do something really different to stand out and get those kids' attention away from the Yo-kai Watch anime.

Nintendo wins either way though.

Kon'Doriano wrote:
Annnddddd now I know what to skip for the next few years. This new anime with it's ridiculous premise and style is definitely gonna be the most kid-friendly thing the anime has to offer, which is why only little kids (and some dedicated teens/adults) will watch this trash.

While I'd agree that this is probably the least offensive thing, content-wise, this anime has been, I disagree that something being kid-friendly makes it older-audiences-unfriendly.

Hagaren Viper wrote:

It's stuff like this which is why I love observing fandoms. Overdramatic fandoms are the most fun to observe.

championferret wrote:
It's pretty sad how many adults forget they arent the target audience Confused. Like you guys realise this show isn't intended to be watched as one continuous series, right? Most of its viewerbase aren't people who grew up with it and have watched it obsessively for the past 20 years. The viewerbase is primarily whoever is currently 3-10 in Japan at the moment; most stop watching it when they grow older than that. You're not supposed to watch every single series and complain about Ash/Satoshi never aging and the plot being repetitive or weird scary new changes, you're supposed to watch whatever series is currently on when you're the target audience and then grow out of it.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liking the show as an adult, just that its pointless to complain about because of things most of the target audience aren't going to care about.

Given that the anime is basically just extended commercials for the games, and how much Sun/Moon is being hyped up as being very different to previous games, it makes sense that they'd want to try something different for the anime too.

That's a very good point. This is a series that was never meant to grow up with its audience, like with One Piece or most long-running American comic books. This is one where audiences outgrow the series and stop watching, with newer fans coming in to replace them. (Honestly, there aren't many franchises with the long-term appeal to pull that off.) That's the reason why no one ever ages and why Ash/Satoshi will perpetually behave like a beginner. Otherwise, he will stop being relatable to kids.

That being said, you have stuff like Sesame Street, which has never had any non-gradual changes to the show and still has that 70's urban New York aesthetic it had since the start; and The Fairly OddParents, which has changes only due to different writers and network demands but has kept the same look and premise.

Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Except the games are marketed at people of all ages, but especially those who continuously buy the games throughout the years because they're huge fans. For some the anime is a side to the main course. Just as how the TCG scene is still afloat because there are adults who have money to pay to complete sets or attend prereleases and competitive tournaments. Sure all companies have a profit motive and a target audience, and you can get all cynical saying it's intended for kids, but at the end of the day Nintendo knows that the reason they're successful is not for the random kid at a store, but for the fans who go beyond the anime to buy the games/TCG/merchandise/manga etc... The anime's immaturity stems from the fact that not enough people watch for them to risk fanservice, so they play it safe.

Pokémon, as a whole, was always meant for kids from the start. It only accidentally became popular with older people. The people who make the video games and the TCG decided to embrace that and put depth and complexity (without convolutedness) into both of them, as well as targeting events at adults (namely the competitions), to keep older audiences interested while not losing the younger audiences. The anime, on the other hand, seems to have decided to stick to its guns and keep itself strictly aimed at kids. They're pretty much operating on different pages at this point.

I'm not sure where the manga stands on this though.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The anime, on the other hand, seems to have decided to stick to its guns and keep itself strictly aimed at kids. They're pretty much operating on different pages at this point.

Yup that's what I've gathered as well. I'm guessing the declining ratings indicate they just want to keep it on air in any way they can as a promotion or for reputational purposes.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

Oh absolutely.

Everyone See: https://youtu.be/rrBH3IYRjaw
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the link to the video. I didn't actually pay attention to the trailer until that video, but now that he's brought it up, I do see what they're doing with Pokémon Sun and Moon: They're doing a more pronounced squash-and-stretch effect than most other anime (I think Mamoru Hosoda's the only big name in anime to do this much squash-and-stretch). In particular, they're doing kind of a "ripple" type of squash-and-stretch where characters contort in waves rather than all at once. (Think of those scenes where WIle E. Coyote runs off a cliff, notices he's in mid-air, and falls. His legs fall first, then his torso, then his head, then his ears. Pokémon Sun and Moon is constantly doing this, albeit more subtly.)

This is what leads to off-model in-between frames, which is entirely intentional in order to get the characters to move the way they want. That big forehead Pikachu, for instance, is a frame in which the rest of Pikachu has moved downwards relative to the camera but the top of his head has not.

Animation should not be on-model in all frames. That will cause everyone to look stiff, plastic, and mechanical. Well, unless the character is a robot. I suppose you can animate C-3PO or Friday like that. Even then, QT in Space Dandy has a TON of squash and stretch and still feels like he has a hard metal shell.

That being said, the criticism for this anime seems to be mostly Ash's new design and the fact that he's at school. That's a pretty big change from the usual formula some people really like.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Pokémon since the original series with Misty and Brock, but I have kept tabs on it. And I've seen a few episodes of X&Y. That being said, Ash's new design looks so bad I feel like bursting out with laughter every time I see it. But I'm pretty sure the series itself will be decent enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4