• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Dubs Really Contain More Swearing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Hell Girl episode 7 had a large amount of swearing added for no reason. So, you basically hear Caitlin Glass saying the f-word every other second.

Most of it was gratuitous, but it really made the scene where the main girl confronts her stepmother:

"spoiler[You're running away...?] You [expletive] hag!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Satoshi Batista wrote:
I'm trying to imagine what a crass and curse-ladden version of Urusei Yatsura would even sound like.

Not only were profanities abundant, but Manga chose to use a varied assortment of regional accents with which to dub the characters. The end result is uniquely confounding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
"Since when did Ichigo start speaking in ebonics? I'm pretty sure that's not what he's actually saying..."

Laughing Laughing Laughing Reminds me of an episode of Cloverway's dub of Sailor Moon S. I don't remember who spoke the following line or to whom it was addressed, but one of the Senshi greeted another one with "What up, dawg?" I couldn't stop laughing for 10 minutes! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So what IS verboten? Mostly words and phrases that are insulting -- slurs, or outdated and politically incorrect names for sensitive topics. "Gaijin" (foreigner) is now verboten -- they now use the more polite term "gaikokujin." Kuronobou ("Blackie") -- which used to refer to dark suntans, is now completely inappropriate. "Kichigai" (crazy) is extremely offensive, as is "Ai no ko" (interracial child) -- the latter of which was replaced with "konketsu" (mixed blood) in the 70s. Nowadays, interracial people are often referred to with English words: "half" is the most common, but the new PC terms in Japan are "colored," "mixed" or "double." Yeah, I had that reaction too.

The only one of these words I know is "katawa", thanks to the kerfuffle over Katawa Shoujo's title.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
The sliding scale of how harsh language to use when translating "shimatta" and "kuso" and the like is fine, but what annoys me is when swearing is added completely from nowhere. "Nani kore?" being translated as "what the f*ck?", sort of thing.

(As an aside, there's something half amusing half annoying about automatic language filters interfering with discussion on the use of swear words in translations...)
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Two Words "Black Lagoon". I can't even imagine how boring the sub would sound. The dub was awesome because it had swearing (259 F-words in both season). Panty and Stocking has 358 F-Bombs in just 13 episodes.

Also, there is that scene in Haganai: I Don't Have Many Friends where the main character screams "F#$% You" in a rant to one of the other characters and it just carried the right amount of impact and fit the scene perfectly. So, in some instances it works for the better.

Also, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to all the cursing the dub makes me cringe.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Strangely enough when watching subbed anime and reading it doesn't really bother me but I remember recently watching BECK dubbed and the amount in that felt a bit off putting
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing some fansubs a few years back, before legal streaming really started, where some characters had random curses in their subbed lines. Sometimes it was funny, other times it was annoying and distracting.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
That's what turned me away from the Durarara!! dub when it aired on Adult Swim.
I don't see the point in bleeping out swear words on late night tv, it made the show seem trashier that way.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
That's what turned me away from the Durarara!! dub when it aired on Adult Swim.
I don't see the point in bleeping out swear words on late night tv, it made the show seem trashier that way.

Funnily enough, just in the few years since Durarara aired "shit" has become acceptable on Toonami, meaning it would play uncensored today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
There are people who claim that a Japanese dub is better, but I think that is typically said because the person doesn't speak or understand Japanese, and therefore does not understand nuances in the language. It's easier to give it a pass if you don't have a full capacity to criticize.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Satoshi Batista wrote:
I'm trying to imagine what a crass and curse-ladden version of Urusei Yatsura would even sound like.

There's no need to guess; type in "BBC Urusei Yatsura" into your search engine of choice.

Despite all this talk of the Manga dub, the BBC's two-episode "Lum the Invader Girl" dub was amazingly crass and tongue-in-cheek. Ataru shouts "F*ck off!" within the first five minutes.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
A Girlish number fansub had the main girl said "What the f*ck?" for at least once on both aired episodes so far, if that worth telling. It seemed pretty pointless to me so I just watch a different version for now. I used to be pretty aggravated at constant cursing in fansub back then but it doesn't bother me as much any more since I knew where to look for an ideal version and managed to understand a fair bit of Japanese to even start a coversation ever since I watched anime back in 2011.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese have a different idea of swearing and it's not the same as English. I mean, "kisama" is generally as rude as it gets when speaking to others, but we usually end up making it "you bastard" or "you piece of shit" when subtitling or dubbing it: http://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-iv/damcyan/

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5