• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Nichijou, Scrapped Princess, The Betrayal Knows My Name Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
FINALY! All I need now is Hyouka and all the Kyoani stuff I actually care the most about will be available to me (excluding a silent voice which I'm sure will get released soon by somebody.)
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
^ They're not dubbing it.

Yet. Wink

When I first read this I was excited, then I read its a sub only release and my heart sunk. I've been waiting forever for a dub of this ~ along with several others that I'd absolutely love a dub of like Oreimo.
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Stoked for UraBoku, been wanting it on video for a while, especially since the subs were removed from Crunchy.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! This show was absolutely gorgeous; it's such a shame it's been legally unavailable for so long
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
Surprised that no one is talking about The Betrayal Knows My Name - probably because of Nichijou. I'm EXTREMELY disappointed that neither are being dubbed (especially Nichijou, as Funimation excels at comedic scripts - imagine Jamie Marchi doing wonders for it). I kind of see the reason why - they both were released a while ago (like C3) - but still, it's a massive shame.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
Would Nichijou be their first sub-only release?

no, I think this will be their 14th sub-only release

Oh hey there! Do you actually have a list of their sub-only releases? Aside from these two I know there's Buddy Complex, C3, Rainy Cocoa, JINSEI, and In Search of the Lost Future - what else?
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
Do my eyes deceive me? Funimation picked up actual BL show? Is this the first one they've ever bothered to touch? I've only ever seen them pick up yuri titles. I like Betrayal Knows My Name so... I may just pick that one up.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:15 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Woooo Scrapped Princess rescue. Seriously good show.

Agreed, but personally I'd rather just have someone like Yen Press license rescue the novels so I can finish what I started there. From the 3 Tokyopop releases I've read the books were a bit better.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
TsukasaHiiragi wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
^ They're not dubbing it.

Yet. Wink

When I first read this I was excited, then I read its a sub only release and my heart sunk. I've been waiting forever for a dub of this ~ along with several others that I'd absolutely love a dub of like Oreimo.

Sorry if I got your hopes up! I've been waiting for a dub of Nichijou too, ever since Bandai Entertainment picked it for release right before going under. If Bandai never grabbed it, maybe Funimation would've gotten it earlier and dubbed it then.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:23 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
getchman wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
Would Nichijou be their first sub-only release?

no, I think this will be their 14th sub-only release

Oh hey there! Do you actually have a list of their sub-only releases? Aside from these two I know there's Buddy Complex, C3, Rainy Cocoa, JINSEI, and In Search of the Lost Future - what else?

OniAi and Omamori Himari are some more. Many of their collaboration titles with Crunchyroll will probably end up being sub-only it seems. It's unfortunate.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
FINALLY! This took longer than necessary. I'll be buying as soon as it comes out. Scratch that off my list.

I don't even care that it's not getting a dub. Kinda glad actually. With the way the show was animated (beautifully), it wold be next to impossible to sync the English to he lip flaps. Hell I figured as much when it first came out.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I loved Scrapped Princess, but couldn't afford to get the DVDs back in the day, and by the time I could afford them they were out of print and impossible to find.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
I just might buy all three of these~. I've been eager for Nichijou and am so glad we're actually getting it, and it's nice to see Scrapped Princess licensed again!

I never realized The Betrayl Knows My Name had an anime though; I kind of want to give it a shot.

Did Bandai previously hold the license for Star Driver? If so, hopefully Funimation can rescue it too and also get the movie brought over. x'D
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:27 am Reply with quote
Pleasantly surprised, but perplexed too. Aside from Scrapped Princess these titles don't seem to be normally in Funis wheelhouse. I could have seen all three titles going to other companies. Since they aren't getting dubbed (Scrapped Princess already had one) it makes me wonder if one or all were part of a package licensing deal perhaps? No dub might also imply that they have lower expectations of sales. I mean they can release Nichijou and Betrayal Knows My Name, but no love for Tatami Galaxy? Even sub only and on DVD? Strange.

Anyways, I could see myself maybe picking up quirky Nichijou (would have liked a dub on that one) and Scrapped Princess (missed it first time around).
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Since they aren't getting dubbed (Scrapped Princess already had one) it makes me wonder if one or all were part of a package licensing deal perhaps?

They're all from Kadokawa if I'm not mistaken (Scrapped Princess I'm not entirely sure, but the other two definitely are)

Gemnist wrote:

Some others not yet mentioned in this thread:
Puchimas
Inari Kon Kon
.hack//GU Trilogy
Yatterman Night
A Good Librarian Like a Good Shepherd
Shonen Hollywood
Doamygar-D
Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun
Seiyu's Life
CJAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:46 am Reply with quote
I am super excited for Nichijou's North American release. Thank you, Funimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8