• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Voice Actors Perform Multiple Roles In Dubs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If they couldn't afford more voice actors, they never should have taken on the project to begin with.

They had enough actors to complete the job successfully.
DBZ is not a show that I watch but a lot of people seem to be satisfied with it, and if Funimation had not released it then maybe nobody would have.

Quote:
The audience and the product shouldn't have to suffer for their lack of preparedness.

I would not feel like I was suffering if I had to listen to an actor perform different parts.
It could possibly get confusing at times, but I have never heard a dub where I was bothered by that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
peno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
Quote:
At any rate, if that's true, then how is it that union actors are constantly unable to do work for Funimation unless the dub is recorded specifically in California?

Easy:
1. Funimation doesn't hire union. (Which is also a part of Right to Work)
2. Unless it's an established VA that's moved to LA, and is in SAG-AFTRA.

So, you are saying that unions are not illegal in Texas, yet Funi is not allowed by law to hire union actors (and probably not only actors), unless it's in different state, where local law applies? What is the point of unions in Texas, if by being a member of union, you are deprived of job opportunities by law? Isn't that pretty much the same as unions being illegal in Texas, then?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
It happens a bit in video games too. Tales of the Abyss is a good example, as is Jeanne D'Arc (both games that incidentally had Yuri Lowenthal voicing minor soldier characters on top of his primary roles as Luke/Asch and Roger). On the other hand, I don't think people who watch anime care too much about Village Girl B or Soldier 27 being voiced for what few lines they get relative to the scene in question, though they should still be voiced as competently as any important character would be.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
@peno

I think there is a bit of confusion here. All a "right to work" law provides is that you can't be required to be in a union as condition of employment. In some locals it also provides that the union must represent any employee with a grievance even if they are not members. This is a legislative attempt to gut unions since they are not allowed to prohibit them. It tends to work as intended.

Funimation is not prohibited from employing union actors. However, if a voice actor is in a union he or she is prohibited by the union from accepting less than the minimum scale required by the union. Since this is rather more than Funimation normally pays it acts as a disincentive for them to hire union actors. In addition to costing Funimation more it would tend to cause some hard feelings among the non union actors getting less for the same work. This has caused some union actors to work for Funimation or Sentai (also in Texas) to work under a pseudonym. I'm not sure how well this works as that is usually figured out by fans.

Bottom line is that Funimation is going to "officially" hire union actors only if it has some compelling need.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@peno

I think there is a bit of confusion here. All a "right to work" law provides is that you can't be required to be in a union as condition of employment. In some locals it also provides that the union must represent any employee with a grievance even if they are not members. This is a legislative attempt to gut unions since they are not allowed to prohibit them. It tends to work as intended.

Funimation is not prohibited from employing union actors. However, if a voice actor is in a union he or she is prohibited by the union from accepting less than the minimum scale required by the union. Since this is rather more than Funimation normally pays it acts as a disincentive for them to hire union actors. In addition to costing Funimation more it would tend to cause some hard feelings among the non union actors getting less for the same work. This has caused some union actors to work for Funimation or Sentai (also in Texas) to work under a pseudonym. I'm not sure how well this works as that is usually figured out by fans.

Bottom line is that Funimation is going to "officially" hire union actors only if it has some compelling need.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense, thanks. I just hope that means Yuri Lowenthal and Kate Higgins (I know she's ficore, but she's also hard to get) will reprise their roles for the Akito the Exiled dub. Since Yuri was in RWBY it's completely possible.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Monica Rial is essentially an expert at voicing multiple characters in a show. Just how many voices and titles does has she been in? Using her AnimeNewsNetwork Encyclopedia entry at random.org , I counted 439 roles in 445 titles.

These are only roles where her character has a name (be it "Mirajane" or a descriptive name like "Kid A"). For comparison, the ANN Encyclopedia's "Most Prolific Cast" section list Takehito Koyasu as the onlyVA who beats her as he has been in 543 titles.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Aniplex's dubs (which I guess are really just Bang Zoom!'s dubs but they seem to be involved in producing them) have been getting increasingly better over the years while Funimation's have stagnated. They've seemed to have gotten a lot more picky over which shows they're going to bother producing a good dub for.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
There are many great American voice actors that can preform multiple characters in Anime and more recently hit video games and they make it seem easy. Cool
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
If they couldn't afford more voice actors, they never should have taken on the project to begin with.

They had enough actors to complete the job successfully.
DBZ is not a show that I watch but a lot of people seem to be satisfied with it, and if Funimation had not released it then maybe nobody would have.

Quote:
The audience and the product shouldn't have to suffer for their lack of preparedness.

I would not feel like I was suffering if I had to listen to an actor perform different parts.
It could possibly get confusing at times, but I have never heard a dub where I was bothered by that.

I've heard many people complain about the english dub to DBZ ,but the lack of voice actors is never one of the complaints I hear being brought up. In fact when I first started watching I never even knew some of the characters were voiced by the exact same person(Goku/King Kai, Vegeta/Piccolo,etc.).Guess that goes to show you how impressive the range of the actors were given that they had little to no experience at the time.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
Scherzo wrote:
I feel like Aniplex's dubs (which I guess are really just Bang Zoom!'s dubs but they seem to be involved in producing them) have been getting increasingly better over the years while Funimation's have stagnated. They've seemed to have gotten a lot more picky over which shows they're going to bother producing a good dub for.

I think that has more to do with how many dubs FUNi is producing compared to Aniplex, so it's more apparent which shows are prioritized. Your lie in april has a great dub, but it's one of the more recent shows I've watched where VAs with very distinct voices are playing multiple characters. Patrick Seitz (1 supporting + 2 or 3 minor characters) and Keith Silverstein (2 or 3 minor characters). You can tell Patrick did the best he could for it, but the budget is likely on the lower end compared to Aniplex's bigger action shows. Funnily enough, K had actors in both main and minor roles (Patrick and Keith again), but that's a Viz Media release. On the other hand, this rarely happens with FUNi dubs nowadays. Sure they have actors that appear in different shows, but they rarely play multiple roles in 1 show (Ian Sinclair does have 2 roles listed in FUNi's cast announcement of Touken Ranbu - Hanamaru, but that was a mistake and has already been corrected. J. Michael Tatum voices the other character.)
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Monica Rial is essentially an expert at voicing multiple characters in a show. Just how many voices and titles does has she been in? Using her AnimeNewsNetwork Encyclopedia entry at random.org , I counted 439 roles in 445 titles.

These are only roles where her character has a name (be it "Mirajane" or a descriptive name like "Kid A"). For comparison, the ANN Encyclopedia's "Most Prolific Cast" section list Takehito Koyasu as the onlyVA who beats her as he has been in 543 titles.

In terms of multiple characters per show, that's really not Monica; she usually only does one. Of course, she still has plenty of range, going from her usual moe voice to a devilish baby voice (Tokyo Ghoul), regular adults (AYTTINAGOL), and even deep-voiced adults (Dimension W) - but she doesn't usually do multiple roles per series. I think Laura Bailey would probably be a better example, as her range is even larger.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:31 am Reply with quote
Why is everyone acting suprised to this and acting as if it's a sort coming/bad thing when one voice actor voices more then one role. Take Simpsons for example.

Harry Shearer he voices Mr. Burns, Mr. Smithers, Ned Flanders, Reverend Lovejoy, Kent Brockman, Dr. Hibbert, Lenny, Principal Skinner, Otto, Rainier Wolfcastle and others.

Hank Azaria he voices Moe, Chief Wiggum, Apu, Comic Book Guy, Carl, Cletus, Professor Frink, Dr. Nick and others.

All of these characters are vastly different (Apu and Moe for example) and you would be surprised to know that the same voice is responsible for all of them. Why are people acting as if it's automatically a bad thing when one voice actor does justice to multiple characters?

Gemnist wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

In terms of multiple characters per show, that's really not Monica; she usually only does one. Of course, she still has plenty of range, going from her usual moe voice to a devilish baby voice (Tokyo Ghoul), regular adults (AYTTINAGOL), and even deep-voiced adults (Dimension W) - but she doesn't usually do multiple roles per series. I think Laura Bailey would probably be a better example, as her range is even larger.

How you seen Wendee Lee's resume.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:06 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
I think the most egregious example of multi-casting I've ever watched was the Tagalog dub of the original Full Metal Alchemist anime. Grace Cornel (whose voice I adore) played every female character, except Pinako Rockbell and Izumi Curtis, plus Wrath.

Heh, that sounds like our Speed Racer dub, which had three people in the cast total. That being said, the guy who voiced Speed was brought in to cameo as a race commentator in the Wachowski movie, and lo and behold, he really CAN act.

Barbobot wrote:
A more recent example of this that I only learned of recently as I never watched the dub at all is Persona 4. Johnny Yong Bosch plays both Narukami Yu and Tohru Adachi, so it's not like he's only playing a minor, single-episode character on top of the main protagonist. It's like Ichigo from Bleach talking to Izaya from Durarara. There's a different cadence to the voices, but you can tell it's the same person.

Of course, Yu barely has any lines outside of grunting and "Persona!" so it's not immediately obvious. Johnny has a pretty easily identifiable voice though, so it's rare for him to have multiple major roles in the same work. He may be typecast though. I didn't realize he voices Nobita in Doraemon until several episodes in, when he slipped closer to his regular voice for a moment.

I mean, Charlie Adler's squeaky, nasal voice when he plays Cow, Chicken, and Buster Bunny isn't his natural voice. It's closer to, say, his Super Skrull voice in Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

bs3311 wrote:
Did you really need to answer that? I think anyone and their plant would figure this out on their own. But just like the theater business, it can be mirrored with voice acting. My director would cast me not only as a main but also a minor side character in plays. It fills out a disposable role and saves time and money. But VA work is a bit more flexible since scheduling and not having to deal with a huge audience. Most of the recycled actors I notice are for giant mobs to help them blend in so it would be harder to spot while saving some ben Frank's. Though there are some times reusing an actor actually made me think about the characters themselves and their roles Ala Children who chase lost voices with Brittany Karbowski being cast as 2 young girls, who were the only ones that closely interacted with the 2 leads.

And unlike in theater, you can have multiple characters you play be present at the same time, like Stan Marsh and Eric Cartman.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

And they're all voiced by Tom Kenny.

Or Steve Blum Razz

Or Yuri Lowenthal. Or Tara Strong. Or Jeff Bennett. Or Tabitha St. Germain. Or Frank Welker.

I suppose that's why range is so important to being successful as an English-language voice actor: When you have range, you can play many roles, one after another.

Rinkwolf wrote:
Why is everyone acting suprised to this and acting as if it's a sort coming/bad thing when one voice actor voices more then one role. Take Simpsons for example.

Harry Shearer he voices Mr. Burns, Mr. Smithers, Ned Flanders, Reverend Lovejoy, Kent Brockman, Dr. Hibbert, Lenny, Principal Skinner, Otto, Rainier Wolfcastle and others.

Hank Azaria he voices Moe, Chief Wiggum, Apu, Comic Book Guy, Carl, Cletus, Professor Frink, Dr. Nick and others.

All of these characters are vastly different (Apu and Moe for example) and you would be surprised to know that the same voice is responsible for all of them. Why are people acting as if it's automatically a bad thing when one voice actor does justice to multiple characters?

Yep, I was going to use The Simpsons as an example of a show with a vast cast and only about a dozen voice actors at most that works just fine. Except for Nancy Cartwright, none of them had much voice acting experience when the show got started; the show's casting drew mostly from live action and stand-up comedy. Of the regulars, only Julie Kavner (Marge and her sisters), Yeardley Smith (Lisa), and the late Marcia Wallace (Mrs. Krabappel) had limited roles, and that's probably because they have very distinctive voices.

So yeah, in addition to Harry Shearer and Hank Azaria, you got Dan Castellaneta, Nancy Cartwright, Tress MacNeille, and the late Phil Hartman--6 people collectively voicing well over a hundred characters. And, of course, the latter four could be found voicing in a lot of other animated works and video games too. Castellaneta, for instance, voiced Genie in Aladdin: The Animated Series and reprised the role in the Kingdom Hearts games.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
StrangeIslands wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
That's probably because labor unions are illegal in Texas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5s4euach5U

Labor unions are not illegal in Texas. They simply have a law called Right to work preventing workers from being forced to join a union as a condition as employment. How hard is this for people to understand?

That link is absolutely uncalled for and unacceptable. Don't post anything like that directed at other users again.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:16 am Reply with quote
The one thing where I can remember this really standing out is the game Borderlands where I had pegged Colleen as voicing one of the main characters then started doubting myself when another important character came along that sounded like her.

Kb24lol wrote:
You should see american cartoons, one actor can play more than 10 characters at a time for a show.

Heck, I remember seeing someone talking about working on Bob the Builder and there can be pages of script where the other actors just watch Neil Morrissey talking to himself.
Do they still do shows like Willo the Wisp where one person narrates the story and thus voices all the characters?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5