• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Seiren

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Was enjoying the first episode with the new girl but then... the guy went and just gave the homemade strap that the girl had given him to some kids. Just... why? It's not like the kids even expressed any interest when he pointed out that it was the popular new game amongst highschoolers. That was really, really, bad and made zero sense other than the writer had no idea how to add tension and uneasiness to the budding relationship.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Seiren has invented a new genre, I think: Boy Meets Girl and Kinda Hangs Out With Her.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Bizarre is probably the word that best define Seiren.

The dialogs make no sense, the romance is almost absent and when appear don't make any sense.
The MC have no personality except trying to have a collection of fetishes.

Blood- wrote:
Seiren has invented a new genre, I think: Boy Meets Girl and Kinda Hangs Out With Her.

Yeap, this is probably the best phrase about Seiren.
If people are looking for a Amagami SS kind of anime, better look somewhere else.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Some Amagami arcs were sort of like that, too.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Some Amagami arcs were sort of like that, too.

Yes, that arc was written in a different way than the other arcs. Is more about more about the heroine have a unrequited love for Junichi for a long time and been unable to express her feelings.

Its a bit frustrating arc but the story is written in a way that makes prefect sense, but that not happen with Seiren.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
that's how all the Amagami arc's started. Jun'ichi just kinda hangs with each girl for a bit before anything happens. Except for spoiler[Rihoko]. nothing happens for her in the first season
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not great but I don't dislike it. They got me to like the girls more than I thought I would for two arcs so far. The last arc did end weakly and hopefully this and the next will be better, but let's just say there was some...stuff I liked in the last arc and so far in this one. Stay weird, Seiren.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
^yup.. Wink Cool
I'm getting at least something out of this show so far. I hope that won't stay exclusive to the first arc.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
well that was neat, Haruka won in Toru's route. though, school police getting uptight for 10 years for a simple back of the knee kiss is kinda ridiculous
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:
Quote:
Congratulations Seiren, you nailed it this time.

Okay, let's not go crazy. Nailing is one thing these romances constantly come up short on.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I definitely liked the ending better than the last arc, though like Nick only a little more. I did like that they stayed together instead of one leaving and them being contrivedly brought back together. Did anyone else think it was funny that spoiler[Shoichi became a bus driver? Part of me wishes he cited his excellence at the bus game in his interview]
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Did anyone else think it was funny that spoiler[Shoichi became a bus driver? Part of me wishes he cited his excellence at the bus game in his interview]

Oh my god, that made me literally LOL. spoiler[The idyllic image of them in their respective careers was seriously amusing just in general, but adding the background with him in the game made it even better.]

All and all, I'm with both you and Nick though. Slightly better, but still not totally what I want from this show. It sure seems to be focusing more on the long term though, rather than anyone consummating an actual high school romance, which I guess is okay...
mfojmep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
From episode 8 Creamer's review :
Quote:
At this rate, we could be arriving at a romance I might actually recommend by arc four or five!

It was sarcastic, as the anime is going to have only three arcs of 4 episodes each.

Even if the anime would last longer (e.g. 24 episodes), he's being very optimistic.
A true romance in Seiren? Sorry, watch Amagami instead. Cool
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
for one bizarre moment, I had thought the third year tea club girls from Amagami had somehow managed to not age in the last 10 years. I was not expecting dopplegangers
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
for one bizarre moment, I had thought the third year tea club girls from Amagami had somehow managed to not age in the last 10 years. I was not expecting dopplegangers

Yeah. That was totally jarring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4