• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:
Really ,because from what I heard the popularity in the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga plummeted because the Battle City arc was taking so long to finish.

Season ''0'' definitely wasn't popular because it wasn't a very good adaptation ,but the early portions of the manga were.

According to this interview Takahashi says popularity dropped as soon as he stopped doing the card games, so his editors told him to end the series within 6 months.

http://fyeahpolarshipping.tumblr.com/image/56689860803

Unfortunately I can't find an interview that talks about the early part of the manga not being that popular either, resulting in Kaiba and Duel Monsters coming back due to fan demand, but I do remember reading it at one point so take it as you want.

1dbad wrote:

They must have watched the dub, because Kaiba goes through the same development as the manga in the Japanese version. Dub's the only canon where Kaiba's a static character. 4Kids loved Kaiba's early characterization so much they rewrote all of his development so they could have more of the same. :/

As far as the anime is concerned, Kaiba buried his hatred at Alcatraz when he blew it up. The only thing I remember about the dub is Eric Stuart shouting a lot and always sounding angry and asshole-y.

-Stuart Smith
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
So... the dub of the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie is coming out soon. I saw the Yu-Gi-Oh! movie about a couple of months back subbed and I'm only talking about it now because well, I really needed some time to process it. Honestly, now that I've had some time to think, I can say for certain that I'm not a fan. In fact, that's a huge understatement.

To preface this "review" some pointers:

- There will be SPOILERS. If you haven't seen the movie yet, don't read this review if you don't want to be spoiled. Definitely do come back after to share your opinions. I would love to hear what you guys thought of the movie. Am I in the minority?
- I am perfectly fine with nostalgia bait. The problem is when producers think that a show can succeed based on nostalgia alone.
- I am aware that this is a sequel to the manga and not the anime, accounting for some of the discrepancies. Yet, some of the characters actions were just bizarre, in my opinion.
- Finally, please do not let my opinion of the film ruin your experience with it. This is my personal opinion and my opinion alone.

Alright... Here we go. I do apologize for the stream-of-consciousness ranting. It's like my mind is actively trying to erase the movie from my memories.

First off, it started off well enough, with the reintroduction of the characters and what they were up to after all the time. I particularly liked how they framed the story with Anzu's dream of going to New York. However, that's when things started to go South.

Essentially, to sum all of the problems up into one word, it was contrived... and rushed. Sorry, that was two words. In my opinion, everything that happened in this movie happened because they needed it to happen. They needed new monsters - insert a hundred different variations of the Blue-Eyes White Dragon that had no build-up, reason for existing or proper differentiation (more on this later). They needed a new enemy that had to be related to the cast somehow to make him relevant - shoehorn in some subplot was never hinted at or talked about in the original series so it felt like it came out of nowhere. They needed Atem to appear again and appear he did EVEN THOUGH IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE ANY SENSE!

Urgh... the plot. Don't even get me started. I've already talked about the shoehorned-in villain, but boy does it get better. The plot was unnecessarily convoluted and yet still managed to be contrived and seem like it came out of nowhere. What in the world was with this collective consciousness nonsense? Why is it important and how does it relate to anything? Why was Kaiba's Duel Disk perfectly equipped to combat his powers? Seriously, it could have been anything else and have been much better explained and understandable. How could Kaiba pull out a God Card from the ground and play it with his virtual system?

Speaking of Kaiba, that subplot with his obsession was really at odds with Aigami's plot. There was hardly any correlation. Not to mention, sure he was obsessed with Yugi, but they really pushed his obsession a little too far in this one. Though, I have to admit, that would have been a compelling enough story in and of itself if they had taken their time to expand on it. At the end of the movie, people were actually LAUGHING at his hyperbolic obsession with Atem. Going back in time to duel Atem? Yeah, that's not obsessive at all. Seriously, Javert he is not. Also, Kaiba removing the Millennium Puzzle from the crypt and actually solving it with technology was kinda cool, but it completely ruined the mystique of the items. Wouldn't it have been even cooler if his high-tech machines failed to solve the puzzle?

That climax... Oh God. Remember how I was talking about them introducing new monsters for the sake of it? Well, screw duel tactics and anything of the sort, the ending was just a monster spam that got boring after the 100th "HERE'S A MORE POWERFUL MONSTER THAN YOURS". Seriously, if I have to sit though another Cubic monster and Blue-Eyes iteration that has zero differentiation from one another... This was obviously because they were rushed for time. They had a quota of monsters to push and there was no way they could dedicate 30 minutes to build up a single monster.

Also, the GOD DAMN CG. Why are some monsters like the Black Magician and the Black Magician Girl in normal 2D, simulated-cel animation while many of the other monsters were rendered in 3DCG? Seriously, STICK TO ONE. It's horrendous enough that they used CG, but if they had made ALL the monsters CG, there would have been at least a point! You know, creating a disconnect between the real and the virtual? But no, we can't have our Black Magician Girl be polygons, can we?

This is a perfect example of an unnecessary sequel that was made for the sake of being made. Regardless of what the creator said, I felt zero passion from this project and everything was paint-by-numbers and forced. For a fan, I really don't think I would have missed out if I hadn't seen it. Personally speaking, the ONLY good thing that came out of this was seeing Anzu actually fulfilling her dream. Anzu is adorable. Oh, and the bonus card and goodybag as well. That was pretty good.

Maybe I'm exaggerating. Maybe I just need to calm down and watch it again. And watch it again I will, because as a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan, I'm willing to give it another chance. But at this moment, while I'm a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan, I am not a fan of this movie.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
It's too bad we have to wait for a probable home video release of a subtitled version, because I would love to see a review that properly compares both versions. I've heard the Japanese version is quite the emotional experience. But at least it sounds like a nice nostalgic watch, even if the dub is up to its usual shenanigans.

uh you do know this is 4kmedia (the company that was once known as 4kids) were talking about here. its more than a given that they will NEVER allow an official sub version to be released in the US alongs as they have the license. both 4kmedia and its TCG holder konami will make sure of that.

Quote:
Satisfying emotional continuation of the series, over-the-top in a fun way, dub is a nostalgic reunion of the original cast

true, but the grade is way too generous for the dub. its pretty clear like with the other movie, its not faithful towards the japaneese version and in typical fashion, 4kmedia and konami is using the same 4kids style for the dub just like with the TV series which should also be a big minus. so while this dub for the movie might have the nostalgic reunion of the past, this dub style is basically the same thing as the DIC/Colverway versions of sailor moon. relics of the past that should remain where they belong. it'll do wonders for hardcore fans of the original YGO series, and for kids in the teen demograph, the rest should skip this like the plague and stick to watching the fansubs, unless there is an announcement of an official sub version, but considering its being license by 4kmedia and konami, the chances of that is pretty much nonexistent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
Uh there's nothing really weird about it, and Kaiba doesn't have a "sore loser" mindset. I guess if you've never read the manga and simply watched the anime you won't pick up on that since the anime kind of changed his characterization,

I'm actually aware they changed his characterization in the anime from the manga....which wasn't really that much better given certain parts in the manga like the Death T arc.

Calculus20 wrote:
To put it simply, Kaiba needs closure with Atem's passing and the quest to find him and duel him one more time just for the sake of it is driving him crazy.

That's also not much better.

Calculus20 wrote:
he just wants to talk to Atem one more time, talk to his friend, through the cards.

Doesn't he mock the whole concept of friendship and the "heart of the cards" melodrama in the anime In both versions?

1dbad wrote:
They must have watched the dub,

I've watched both the english dub which I tuned out at some point and have been watching the Japanese dub on Crunchyroll so I'm not just coming to these conclusions from the former.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
uh you do know this is 4kmedia (the company that was once known as 4kids) were talking about here. its more than a given that they will NEVER allow an official sub version to be released in the US alongs as they have the license. both 4kmedia and its TCG holder konami will make sure of that.

When 4K Media released Bonds Beyond Time on DVD, it included the Japanese version subtitled alongside the dub. I don't see why Darkside of Dimensions would be any different, especially with Crunchyroll subbing the original series now.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
I've watched both the english dub which I tuned out at some point and have been watching the Japanese dub on Crunchyroll so I'm not just coming to these conclusions from the former.

Glad to hear it! Crunchyroll hasn't gotten to Kaiba's turning point yet. It's after Kaiba's rematch against Yugi in the Battle City finals that he starts acting noticeably different in the Japanese version and manga.

Last edited by 1dbad on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:07 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

Um, you sure about that?

It's cool if you don't like the dubs and all but you make so many posts about them that are basically the same... seems like it would be more productive to talk about things you actually enjoy.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:

Glad to hear it! Crunchyroll hasn't gotten to Kaiba's turning point yet. It's after Kaiba's rematch against Yugi in the Battle City finals that he starts acting noticeably different in the Japanese version and manga.

That'll be sight to see in another 4 years or so given the pace at which Crunchyroll is uploading while occasionally and intentionally skipping over episodes.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
*SNIP*

The movie was PURE YU-GI-OH! Plot device cards? Check. New cards out of nowhere with no build up? Check. Some cards 3D and 2D? Arc-V does that so check. A villain who seemingly always has a new more powerful version of his cards? Check, Check and Check.

As for Kaiba. By the Manga he never says goodbye to Atem, he loses and the next time he see's Yugi, he finds out his one eternal rival is just.....gone. Kaiba will NEVER be able to prove he's better then Atem, he will always be #2. With someone with as big an Ego as Kaiba, that would be awful for him, it would torment him. He has PLENTY of ambition to bring Atem back.
xchampion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:25 am Reply with quote
Of course this turned into a sub vs dub debate. Lol. I really enjoyed the dub. I always thought Kaiba was the best part throughout the series. You knew Eric Stuart was having a blast returning to the role of Seto Kaiba for the movie. I quite enjoying how the whole English cast came back as well. Since the sub has never gotten an official release here so the changes don't really concern or bother me. As a continuation of the English dub, the movie dub was well done. I think the majority of fans who saw the movie in theaters felt the same way. At least in my theater it seemed to be a lot of kids under 10 or people my age over 25. A mix of old fans who went for nostalgic purposes like myself and those who are probably more familiar with Zexal or whatever the newest version is called. Overall I think the movie was a smashing success. Of course it seems most sub fans would disagree, but that's nothing I can fix about that.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Since the sub has never gotten an official release here so the changes don't really concern or bother me.

Actually, Crunchyroll has been subbing it for over a year now. But I'm glad you had fun at the movie!
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is slow as molassas, and uses dubtitles. Might as well go with the fansubs if you want to finish a series in your lifetime and not get bombarded with inconsistancies.
Tsumikisan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Never watched the Japanese version and I have no desire to ever do so, so this film was such a fun way to finally end Yugi's story. Eric Stuart did a great job, you could tell he was having a blast with those one liners. My theater was jam packed with mostly guys in their 20's with a few kids here and there, and we all laughed and snickered at some things going on, so it made the experience more enjoyable.

And it was amazing to see that famous Joey face make an appearance at the end.

Overall I had a great time, and I'd watch it again if I have the chance.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:

When 4K Media released Bonds Beyond Time on DVD, it included the Japanese version subtitled alongside the dub. I don't see why Darkside of Dimensions would be any different, especially with Crunchyroll subbing the original series now.

that may be the case , but almost everyone except the most die hard YGO fans (i was one of them myself but pretty much gave up on the franchise after 5D's & zexal as well when their original license holders decide to gave the series to konami who pretty much is doing the exact same dubbing style as 4kids) would agree that the bonds beyond time movie was downright bad in both versions. also while crunchyroll is doing that, dont expect those sub version to be released in DVDs, which is what i meant by. i would be shocked if they (4kmedia & konami) allows the crunchyroll subs to be released in dvds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
So as a fan of the dub, and and even BIGGER fan of the sub, I just wanna say this. I just got back from the movie, and I had a lot of fun. Very Happy Giving in to your nostalgia is a great way to unwind. And I can't wait to see it subbed too! Hoping that becomes available...I need Kenjiro Tsuda's voice in my life as Kaiba again...
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
https://www.facebook.com/Yugioh/photos/a.182748108410898.42781.179549495397426/1431532433532453/?type=3&comment_id=1431558553529841&reply_comment_id=1431763353509361&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

4K Media confirmed the DVD/Blu-Ray release of Darkside of Dimensions will be dual-audio. Smile Not exactly a surprise after Bonds Beyond Time, but still nice to know for sure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4