• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are Anime Music Videos A Dying Art?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately it's been quite a while since I saw an exceptional AMV. I think the market/community will always be there, similarly to fanfiction.

Some of my personal favorites:

Evangelion Opus
Soul Eater - This is Halloween
Steins;Gate - The Butterfly Effect (spoilers)
Wolf Children - White Houses (can't find anymore Sad)

Most older fans remember that hilarious and NSFW Baby Got Back mashup AMV that got shared around Kazaa, Ebaumsworld, Fugly, etc. Classic. Laughing

Last edited by CatSword on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RiderG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
With that said, here's some shameless advertisement =P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdmHZT2or0Q

This video was in Anime Vegas' action category last year which premiered at Anime Expo.

Anime Conji hon Wink
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
v1cious wrote:
The problem is most of them are terrible. I'm okay with creative stuff like AMVhell, but when the majority of them are generic Jump show footage overdubbed with some crappy emo band, It gets irritating really quick Evil or Very Mad

In the end is doesn't even matter Razz

I see what you did there... Smile

I used to watch a lot of AMV's on YouTube, but there's so much crap... You had to slog through an endless steaming of the tropes (alluded to by BadNewsBlues), the ships, the flavor-of-the-moment songs, and the flavor-of-the-moment anime in hope of finding something that didn't suck. And really, "didn't suck" was the best you could hope in an average slogging session. In the end, it didn't really amount to much return for all the work.

My favorites...

Ship Happens
Anime 101

Otaku Paradise <- This one. If you watch just *one* video in this thread, it should be this one. Hit "full screen", crank it up a touch, and enjoy.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
RiderG wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
With that said, here's some shameless advertisement =P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdmHZT2or0Q

This video was in Anime Vegas' action category last year which premiered at Anime Expo.

Anime Conji hon Wink

Whoops. Got the two confused since you are in charge of both. Lol thanks.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
If only the copyright shit isn't a thing...
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Was just thinking about this very topic a couple weeks ago: AMVs went from something that was up-front-and-center of every convention to, what seems like, only creators are really into. It's this hobby within a hobby and I don't even think there's maybe a passive audience there anymore.

Tripple-A wrote:
I don't get why something like MVs even exist...

MVs, like music videos, at all? Or just specifically AMVs?

Way back int the 1990s, I always saw AMVs as another way for fans to take foreign cartoons and make them more relatable, using a song that an audience had a better chance of understanding or at least have having heard before. Some were showcasing both a band and an anime they liked, some tried to tell stories with their videos. As a member of the audience, it was often a way to learn about new anime, even if all it was that you just asked whoever sat next to you, "What was that?!"

Going to conventions, stopping by some of the AMV programming (if there was anything more than just a contest) was something that I think a lot of people did. Nearly everyone in my circle of friends did. I'll never forget the first one I saw. You can't imagine how jazzed fifteen year old me was to wander into a hotel ballroom to hear The Transformers theme of my youth transposed over the Macross Plus opening! Eventually, as anime fandom grew, video editing got cheaper & easier, videos grew more complex and more self referential to just other AMVs, it just became harder for me to keep up and I lost interest slowly but surely.

Favorite video is probably still this one which I first saw at the AWA AMV contest in either 2000 or 2001... Lee Thompson's Rhythm Animation
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I always loved amvs, they were my go to tool for converting people to watching anime through high school and college. My interest never died down, but amv.org seems to have less and less good amvs for the shows I am into. It seems like a lot of editors have switched to exclusively posting to Youtube now and it's impossible to sort through the thousands and thousands of terrible amvs on there that are all using the same footage from each others' poor video quality amvs. I still religiously check out amv.org around the VCAs every year and those have been getting better and better the past few years. I am so grateful to them for their incredible videos. I'm still all in on good new amvs, I just can't seem to find them in that labyrinth of Youtube trash.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I remember a Toonami fansite once had AMVs, and I'd watch them all several times. Back when a Fansite was a thing. Remember "Web-Rings"? Ani-Turnpike? Those days. Wow.

Frankly I don't see the point to much of them. Last time I watched AMVs at a convention, one was so heavily edited that if the show wasn't listed it would be hard to figure out the show easily. Over-produced.

AMVs had the appeal of showing those rare good scenes from a show you had little access to, put to some music to make it seem like you were getting a new experience.

AMVs as a concept just feels very old to me. Like silent movies. Sure you can make a modern version that's good, but the vehicle is no longer a heavy lifter.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I'd say the reason is that, with the rise of YouTube and easier video-making services, literally anyone can make an AMV. And because of that, there became an excess of them, causing them to become little more than an Internet trend.

But logically, that'd make AMVs even easier to stumble across and thus can't make AMVs more obscure. Rather, I am certain that something happened that caused people to stop paying attention to them, by and large (and the explanation in this article would fall in line with that).

Incidentally, I noticed that YouTube Poops got more popular around the same time as AMVs got less popular. I can't help but wonder if it means the people who would've been watching AMVs before YouTube were watching Poops by 2010 or so. If comedy AMVs were the most popular, it'd make sense because YouTube Poops would be an extension of that, both of them being spliced up videos from other works of fiction taken out of context. Just that one is specifically anime and music and the other can be anything and everything the creator can get away with.

Chiibi wrote:
I think that poster must either be nuts or has never been to an anime convention. Rolling Eyes

Contests are everywhere.

Conventions aren't everywhere though. (There are a lot of them, but it's not like you can spontaneously decide, "I'll go to an anime convention!" and find one nearby.) For people who don't go to conventions, it can definitely fall into a niche of a niche. Certainly, it was for me, and I go to conventions, because I never paid attention to AMVs and I stopped hearing about them. From what I'm seeing people say in this topic, sounds like AMVs are the sort of thing that's bustling and thriving but is so socially remote that people who aren't into it will soon forget about them. (A LOT of hobbies are like this, frankly.)

willag wrote:
Something different now from back in the mid-2000s is that, when we watched AMVs back in the day, by the time the anime legally made it over to the states, several AMVs already existed online for that series. So if you mainly watched things by legal means, you'd already have a large selection to go through. Now, with streaming services, you have to wait weeks to months past starting the show to get a decent selection of AMVs, and several of those may include subtitles. If you're already moving on to the next best show, you might be missing out on some of the best selection to come.

That's something I didn't even think about: That people consume anime so voraciously nowadays that the time needed to make an AMV would make that anime yesterday's news.

pluvia33 wrote:
I'd say "taken down due to YouTube policy" would be more accurate. As far as copyright laws go, AMVs should typically fall well within the realm of Fair Use. Things are a little gray when it comes to making a video for the entirety of a song, but as far as the video content goes it should be without a doubt a Fair Use case as AMVs typically amount to being amateur trailers for the anime that are featured. However, YouTube prefers to play it safe and allows content owners to make infringement claims against pretty much anything that uses their content in any way and YouTube seems to approve their requests in nearly all cases.

Undoubtedly, it's on the music side of it. Record companies used to get incredibly ornery if anything more than a phrase or two was used on a video, even when there's so much other noise that it wouldn't make sense to use it to listen to the song for free.

I remember when some label (I never figured out which) banned everyone who uploaded videos of Samba de Amigo containing particular songs. And AMVs would typically contain the music with nothing else in the way. I can't imagine them being the least bit safe.

YouTube and the labels have gotten better about this: Now, if it's music with a lot of other sounds, or it's a shortened, incomplete version, they place a link to the iTunes download to the identified song(s). But the damage has been done.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I first came across AMVs from friends in the anime community. I thought it was really cool seeing these little projects presented at convention showcases. But I also remember the years when the issue came up with copyright issues and there was that grey area of how a copyrighted vid and music could be used under "fair use". That no profits are being made from it. But over the year I've seen people put things on social media and for awhile it was okay, but then came all the copyright strikes. Basically companies kicking it off the airwaves because of imagery or music.

But now...I wondered if they still did these projects anymore. I haven't been to a anime convention to know if this is the case. NYCC is kind of mixed so I can't say if anyone does it there.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
AMVs have pretty much turned into a niche community. Unless you exclusively use AMV.org, viewing them on YouTube can be hit or miss. Even if you find one you like, it can be taken down randomly for whatever reason.

I have a channel on YouTube myself and one of my most popular videos is the One Piece AMV I slaved over for three months (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un4hzR_pV-w). Clearly, they're as popular as ever. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The article does not mention this, but have copyright infringement issues negatively affected the AMV scene?

you nailed it right on the head. their more or less the reason why the AMV is more or less DOA (dead on arrival)

i actually posted a bleach AMV a while back using parts of season three and when i decided to post it on youtube it got removed cause of a dumbass copyright violation claim by sony entertainment. the same thing happened again when i posted a nanoha a's and a pokemon DP AMV , which as usual got the copyright axe due to king records and TV Tokyo's whining. that more or less had me to watch those annoying 5 min copyright video and all those other BS before i can use my account again so i pretty much gave up on posting and making AMVs.

so yea. people have pretty much given up on making AMVs now cause what would be the point in doing so if these companies starting "griping" and making copyright violation claims? its not like were posting full eps ala illegal streaming or posting fansubs. these companies seriously need to quit with this crap. otherwise it will certainly kill the entire AMV creating notion , if it hasn't already happened.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I used to spend a lot of time on AnimeMusicVideos.org browsing and downloading AMVs. That was maybe 10 years ago now.

Like others have said, there's just so much out there, and it's pretty much the same kind of ideas being used over and over again, very few original ideas left. I visit AMV.org every now and then and check out the winners/nominees for the AMV.org Viewer's Choice Awards, usually high quality well done stuff, but again it's still the same stuff, just different anime/song.

I never watched AMVs on Youtube. Back when I was still into AMVs, the quality on Youtube tended to be very poor, so I much preferred downloading the .AVI files from AMV.org, which had the added bonus of being able to read comments from the AMV creator, rather than some random person chucking someone else's work on their Youtube channel without crediting the creator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Khandri

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Tripple-A wrote:
I don't get why something like MVs even exist...

Before YouTube and anime streaming were a thing, they were great ways to discover a new show and/or new music; someone might've checked out a video for an anime they liked but they weren't familiar with the music, or vice-versa, and found they liked what they heard/saw and pursued more of the anime/music. I found my all-time favorite band through an AMV fifteen years ago, and people have told me that some of the videos I've created over the years convinced them to give a show a chance when they otherwise might have overlooked it.

Me, I make videos because I like the source materials and want to tell a story with them in a way I wouldn't get to see otherwise. I don't really do it for awards or recognition, and I don't like a lot of the really flashy effects a lot of the "pros" use; I just like to use basic effects and careful editing. If people like them and they get a lot of attention, great! If they go overlooked...well, at least it allowed me to explore my creativity.

Are they still the big thing at conventions that they used to be? I'm not so sure. At Anime Central, I remember years ago when the AMV contest was in the biggest room and filled them up considerably, but in the last handful of years, screening was relegated to a tiny room virtually no one knew about because submissions weren't what they used to be and the "awards ceremony" was scheduled for a Sunday morning slot when it used to be prime Saturday programming. I guess it just depends on the convention and region? I don't really keep up with the scene anymore and just do my own thing.

I've been meaning to get back into making more videos (both anime and non-anime) for a while, but honestly, I just have so many other hobbies and real-world commitments now that I no longer have as much time for them as I used to. The same probably holds true for a large number of people who were big back in the day.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I remember there use to be tons of AMVs around 2006 to 2010, then Music Companies started cracking down hard on any unauthorized use of music.

No, if there is an AMV its either made it under the radar, sung by amateurs, or altered in some way that music companies can't shut it down. Which there is few and far between good and legit videos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7