• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals English Dub Cast For New Berserk Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Though then again, if the dub turns out to be terrible I can just watch the show to have a blast ripping it apart! Laughing This is why I love dubs, they're always a win-win for me!

I doubt it'll be terrible, but more to the point, that's an unusual pastime you have.

Rowan Maselli wrote:
Why would they waist resources on this instead of dubbing a good show?

Try asking their stomachs. Zing!
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Not really bugged by this, don't generally watch dubs unless I hear they're really good. Still looking forward to season 2!
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Did Kevin T. Collins say anything? His singing in the bloopers in the original anime were hilarious and now it just won't be the same...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, this dub was clearly already in the works long before the Funi-CR deal got finalized.

I'm surprised CR didn't get them back though because this is a case where the original dub cast is considered pretty iconic.

louis6578 wrote:
But... Bang Zoom has gotten Marc and Carrie for lesser things. Heck, Marc was a random extra in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Why not get them for a major thing that they both love.

Yeah, that's a good point, and really weird. I wonder why Bang Zoom didn't at least bring back the ones they had access to? For example, Carrie has even been in almost all of their recent big dubs like Kill la Kill, Fate/Zero, the extremely recent Erased, Gundam IBO, and Zestiria the X, etc.

The one saving grace is that at least there are a lot of good VAs in this list.
Unknownsage13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
To add to what everyone is saying. My guess is that CR made a deal with BangZoom to have them handle the dubs that were announced pre-funimation partnership. And probably whoever at CR made this deal was a corporate person that didn't know about NYAV Post's history with the series.
Now once it went to BangZoom. I have no idea what the chatter was then. I guess we gotta blame whoever is in charge of casting. Which, if it's the same person who directed the dub, points the finger at Michael McConnohie. Either way. Whoever did the casting either didn't care for consistency, or had their eye on someone else to voice the characters. Which is an insult to the fans who have been used to these VAs for the last like 15 years.
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Reprising the original anime's dub voices for the movies should be considered a fluke, not anything definitive like the Yu-Gi-Oh! or Dragon Ball dubs. That being said, this miscasting decision should come to be expected when you're involved with such a terrible adaptation.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
I guess CR may have not had the guts to reunite the cast for whatever reason and one would think that cascaded into fans going berserk.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
It's sounds... fine, from the few lines we got. Nothing special but nothing terrible either. Kaiji Tang is a decent pick for Guts at least, but still, the old dub cast was pretty iconic. It just won't be the same.

true enough. personally they should have kept the same cast from the movies. though for guts, it would have been better if they were able to get steve blum to reprise his role since he did do guts for the original berserk tv series back in the late 90's early 2000's. then again, that might be an issue considering like with a lot of VAs lately their way too committed to voicing US cartoon series and with him in full commitment mode for both star wars rebels and as wolverine for the marvel series, it might be really difficult for blum to do guts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why people were so quick to jump on Funimation for the casting considering Crunchyroll announced that they were planning to dub this before the partnership. Plus, Funimation usually tries to get casts back, either through outsourcing or recording at their studio. It doesn't happen every time, certainly, but considering that CR had contracted to record Mob Psycho too, it seems more likely that Funimation had nothing to do with it.

Now, that doesn't explain why CR chose Bang Zoom over NYAV Post, or why those actors weren't brought in. I don't have a problem with the actors themselves, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to cast different people when the previous actors are available.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
true enough. personally they should have kept the same cast from the movies. though for guts, it would have been better if they were able to get steve blum to reprise his role since he did do guts for the original berserk tv series back in the late 90's early 2000's.

No, the 97 series was a full New York dub done at NYAV Post and Marc Diraison was Guts from the beginning. The movies Viz has were also dubbed at NYAV and reunited almost everyone important from that cast including Marc as Guts.

Greed1914 wrote:
I'm not sure why people were so quick to jump on Funimation for the casting considering Crunchyroll announced that they were planning to dub this before the partnership. Plus, Funimation usually tries to get casts back, either through outsourcing or recording at their studio. It doesn't happen every time, certainly, but considering that CR had contracted to record Mob Psycho too, it seems more likely that Funimation had nothing to do with it.

I blame IGN because they're claiming it's a FUNimation dub. A bunch of people are blaming FUNi on Twttter and on IGN's YouTube as well and with the former, Lauren Moore has been correcting those who tagged FUNi's name to tweets saying that they didn't create it, they just licensed it.

Quote:
Now, that doesn't explain why CR chose Bang Zoom over NYAV Post, or why those actors weren't brought in. I don't have a problem with the actors themselves, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to cast different people when the previous actors are available.

It was likely something bad since Sean Schemmel had posted some angry tweets on Friday & Saturday to Crunchyroll trying to push them to explain to fans why NYAV wasn't brought back. Those tweets have since been deleted.

Last edited by NJ_ on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Unknownsage13 wrote:
I guess we gotta blame whoever is in charge of casting. Which, if it's the same person who directed the dub, points the finger at Michael McConnohie. Either way. Whoever did the casting either didn't care for consistency, or had their eye on someone else to voice the characters. Which is an insult to the fans who have been used to these VAs for the last like 15 years.

Bang Zoom dubs usually have a separate casting director. As with most recent dubs from them, it's probably Mami Okada.
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
The only redeeming quality the movies had was that they surprised everyone and got most of the original dub cast back together for the release here.

I'm not even exaggerating, the only reason I sat through all three of those awful movies was the hear the original band back together again a decade later...

On the positive side, I love me some Mela Lee, so her as Schierke will be nice.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first few episodes, and for a long-time Berserk dub fan, this dub is a travesty. The Guts voice just sounds so wrong. Not sure I will continue - I already saw it during the original simulcast. The animation is bad enough, now this. I might not consider adding this to my collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3