• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Grimoire of Zero, Kabukibu! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The only other worthy titles to me that remain unlicensed are Virgin Soul, Eccentric Family 2, Re: CREATORS and Natsume 6. If Anime Strike simulcasts two of those, it will have a bunch of strong titles for this season.

And I share others' enthusiasm for Sentai having new life with all these license pickups.

Lord Vaultman wrote:
And it sucks for dub fans like me

Perhaps Amazon's deep pockets will pay Sentai to increase their dub output.

Maybe! But im not holding my breath.

Now if in all unlikliehood they started going towards simuldubs like with funimation then all would be forgiven in my mind and they might could get some of my money despite this double paywall
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

Now if in all unlikliehood they started going towards simuldubs like with funimation then all would be forgiven in my mind and they might could get some of my money despite this double paywall

The issue not discussed in this topic is that since the Crunchy/Funi partnership is that Dubs cost money, prior to these announcements Sentai was left with essentially scraps these past couple seasons since the partnership, while streaming numbers may play a factor in what does/doesn't get dubbed it's far from the only factor and if Sentai continued to be left with the scraps/very niche shows with limited audience due to not being able to outbid Funi/Crunchy for popular moneymakers how would they make money to survive let alone afford to dub things? Of course time will tell how this partnership will effect Sentai's dubbing habit but I have a feeling there would have been even less dubs going forward had the trend continued of Sentai only getting the leftover shows and they only stand to potentially gain from additional revenue/money from amazon.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This is getting VERY annoying. I think at this point it's almost obvious there's some Amazon money going around these parts.

It has to be. I was skeptical before since it seemed unlikely that Sentai had the money on hand to make a big push, and even if they did, it wouldn't be sustainable. But the list has gotten long enough that it seems downright impossible for Sentai alone. Add in that most of these shows are ending up on Amazon Strike despite the fact that Sentai has its own streaming and the less-than-favorable reaction to Strike, and I have to think that the announcements might come from Sentai, but the funding is coming from Amazon.

Lord Vaultman wrote:

Simuldubs would help, but I don't think it would convince me to subscribe. It's too hard for me to ignore that anime is singled out for even more subscription fees.
SlamMan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking Amazon is going to ruin the rest of 2017 with this kind of stuff. Sentai can't be footing the bill for all of these licenses. If they could afford all of this they would have loaded the Anime Network with stuff in previous seasons. The irony is that if they had done that I would have subscribed to the anime network (as the reason I didn't was because I didn't want to pay for one show) and they wouldn't need Amazon right now. Now Sentai has tons of stuff but it's all on Amazon and I will just sit those shows out in protest. I suspect someone at Amazon is smart enough to know that Anime fans don't like Amazon sticking it's greedy ginormous fingers into the anime pot and so they are giving money to Sentai so that someone who has dealt with licensing stuff before and is not hated (or wasn't before now) in the anime community is the one getting all the shows. If Amazon just did it themselves the backlash would fall entirely on them. Sentai provides a bit of a shield. So next season we will probably have Amazon buying everything up directly and kicking Sentai to the wind. I doubt Sentai got the better end of the bargain. They will then make Anime Strike (which should be called Animezon) an international thing and up the price at some point. Then Amazon will drive a lot of people back into illegal streaming in protest, see that this isn't working and drop most lesser known anime like Hulu did. Then everyone else (crunchy, funi, etc.) who survived will struggle to get back on there feet and we who like Anime will have to deal with lower amounts of licensed shows as the japanese companies will want too much money for what they are offering. It's going to blow up, I'll tell you that much and we are not going to benefit from it. Healthy competition is great but big corporations seeing a hobby and trying to exploit it is not good. It's like when big companies move into small towns, knock out all competition and then pick up and leave when there is a recession. This is becoming less coherent and more of my rambling so anyone who reads this whole thing has my thanks for putting up with it.
fullmetalgirl21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Amazon''s already doing enough to take down the book world; I don't need them invading and ruining my niche hobby as well.

I won't get prime because I do what I can subvert Amazon''s world takeover and I'm definitely not supporting them trying to corner the market on anime as well.

Now that they have about half the shows I was interested in this season, I'm seriously irked. I do everything I can to support the industry, but being a legal beagle isn't a terribly enticing right now.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
Hate to watch Kabukibu illegally like I did with Scums Wish but if it's good I'll totally buy it along with Flip Flappers (if Sentai is still gonna release on BD).

Flip Flappers is on Crunchyroll. http://www.crunchyroll.com/flip-flappers
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Please join me in prayer so that Amazon will think Anime Strike is a bust and abbandon it as soon as possible. I really do hope they get out of the anime business.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Please join me in prayer so that Amazon will think Anime Strike is a bust and abbandon it as soon as possible. I really do hope they get out of the anime business.

One of the more depressing thoughts I've had on this is that Amazon can afford to keep it up for multiple seasons if they want. Like I said before, people really do need to vote with their wallets because Strike needs to flop hard financially for Amazon to take notice.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

One of the more depressing thoughts I've had on this is that Amazon can afford to keep it up for multiple seasons if they want. Like I said before, people really do need to vote with their wallets because Strike needs to flop hard financially for Amazon to take notice.

Agreed. Money talks and Amazon's language is money. If people really want to send a hard hitting message to them they need to protest by not giving them a dime.

I really want to say makes some viewing sacrifices and don't watch those shows instead of pirating but that's wishful thinking.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Amazon will be fine.
Sentai will be fine as well.

It seems to work for Netflix, so Amazon has nothing to worry.
Perhaps Amazon will fund original animated series like Voltron as well.
That'd be pretty sweet.

Three cheers for free market kapitalizm.

HUUZAHHH!!!
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Wow this I did not expect these to get picked up but here we are so far everything I have been interested in watching has been picked up and I am able to watch it. Only thing That is not is Frame Arm Girls and that is only because I don't want to be bothered to deal with Anime Network and have no interest in watching it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Can afford to? I think it is more like 'already set aside / invested the money to fund it for a good while'. You don't just start out with a subscribed user base. You grow it over time. Amazon isn't going to just start this and then bail after a couple of seasons.

They are also offering enough shows this time that I think the odds of it completely bombing are pretty much zero. I also think that a lot of the resentment felt towards them for doing this at the moment is going to subside if they keep offering a respectable catalog.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super pissed. Mostly that they clearly stripped the content from regular Prime to sell to us for extra seeing as how everywhere but the US gets the content with regular Prime.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, there goes the other show I was really interested in this season. I will probably just keep catching up on my backlog like I did over the winter. I understand that Sentai needed a partner but the double paywall on Amazon is just ridiculous. I complained to Amazon and their response was basically, here have a $5 credit.
Songster01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
We can't stream things via Prime here, so until that changes I've no choice but to not watch Amazon's shows, or to look for alternatives. Having to pay twice for those that have that option is annoying, like an additional tax for liking anime. So, I'll happily support Funiroll, which actually allows me to stream and ignore Amazon. Netflix is also an option; so far they've not forced people who like a certain genre to pay extra, so if they actually have a show I like, I'll watch it to. But Prime, even if it should move its service here, is not an option I want to be double charged for, especially since I'm very picky and usually end up watching 1-2 shows a season, if that many.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
Well, there goes the other show I was really interested in this season. I will probably just keep catching up on my backlog like I did over the winter. I understand that Sentai needed a partner but the double paywall on Amazon is just ridiculous. I complained to Amazon and their response was basically, here have a $5 credit.

I wish I could say that I'm surprised. Amazon has the funds to be able to just throw money at their problems regarding Strike. They can afford to make bids that CR/Funi can't match, which brings us right back to the overpriced licenses issue, and they can afford to keep buying up titles with the idea being that eventually people will cave either because Amazon came away with hyped titles, or because the competition doesn't have much to offer. People might have said that CR/Funi was trying to make a monopoly, but I'm a lot more worried about Amazon, which actually has the money to make that more realistic.

Amazon's announcement for Strike claimed that anime fans were an "underserved" market, but somehow I don't feel like this is doing much to serve fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6