• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Martian Successor Nadesico Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
the thing with andesico is tht anime amgazines back then hyped it to be a really good thing, almost as good as eva and about as good as escaflowne/slayers, so it not really living up to that, even if it was a prety decent show is what partially ruined the experience for me.

[quote="BodaciousSpacePirate"]
GeorgeC wrote:

If you judge whether or not someone is "nice" based on whether or not they like the same media you do, then you're just begging to be disappointed. If I refused to date people who hate Pretty Little Liars or Grey's Anatomy, I'd have a pretty lonely life.

I think he means the reason they do hate anime, not that fact that they do hate anime.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Nadesico is that I think its initial popularity comes directly from its rejection of Evangelion's themes. It's harder for newer fans to appreciate just how much Eva completely swallowed up the industry in the mid-90's. Suddenly every mecha show was trying to copy its dark and philosophical approach, with varying degrees of success. But Nadesico was the first to respond to Eva by going in the complete opposite direction, with optimism, fun, and showing reverence for 70's mecha tropes instead of deconstructing them.

Buuuut, once you divorce it from that context, the show really doesn't hold together. The first few episodes really are great, but once the crew actually gets into space, the show is aimless and confused, full of obnoxious harem comedy which feels forced and takes time away from the main story. And this is a fatal choice, because the show introduces lots of interesting mysteries and plotlines, then ignores them until the last two episodes, when it tries and fails to resolve everything at once. It doesn't really have an ending: it just runs out of episodes, and we get Ruri explicitly telling us "well, I guess we'll just have to resolve things in the sequel. Bye!" To this day it's my least favorite anime ending ever. I can deal with shows being cancelled before their stories can be told. I can't deal with shows that were given more than enough episodes to tell their story and just decided they didn't feel like putting in the effort.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
The thing about Nadesico is that I think its initial popularity comes directly from its rejection of Evangelion's themes. It's harder for newer fans to appreciate just how much Eva completely swallowed up the industry in the mid-90's. Suddenly every mecha show was trying to copy its dark and philosophical approach, with varying degrees of success. But Nadesico was the first to respond to Eva by going in the complete opposite direction, with optimism, fun, and showing reverence for 70's mecha tropes instead of deconstructing them.

I don't think that jives as well as you think. Nadesico premiered only 1 year and a few days after Eva did, so I find it hard to believe that this was a direct response. I know anime comes on short turnaround time, but paradigm shifts normally take longer to develop, don't they?
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I remember the voice actress for Yuika just.....vanished. She didn't really do much.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I have always thought that the principle theme of Nadesico was the importance of memory in all its forms: personal memories, nostalgia, and history.

There's Akito's nostalgic memories of the old Gekiganger show

There's Akito's and Yurika's conflicting memories of their childhoods on Mars (also Inez's memories of Mars)

There's an episode or two that explores Ruri's memories of her childhood

At the end, Ruri goes so far as to veto the proposed solution to the war that would rewrite the history of the previous three years, because it would mean all her memories of the Nadesico and its crew would be gone.

There's an episode where the UN forces come to edit out Omoikane's memories of battling the UN Spacy forces. This episode concludes with Omoikane telling Ruri that our memories are what make us what we are

There's the Jovian society's memories of their origins (and the fact that the Earth has suppressed that history)

I've always thought that the last item gains additional relevance, I think, because Nadesico aired just after one of Japan's periodic controversies about its school history curriculum (Japan's history of WWII leaves out a number of atrocities, a fact that their neighbors --- the victims of those atrocities --- find deeply offensive). Just think: a war in the past that resulted in atrocities. Those atrocities may have been written out of history, but the victims are still out there, and they still remember. Basically: what happens with the Jovians is a warning to its Japanese audiences that the deliberate forgetting of history would come back to bite them in the end.

Because of this richness and depth, Nadesico has always been a favorite of mine. Each viewing adds more layers.

Last edited by dm on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I'll always remember Gai Daigouji's death. I've never seen anything like it honestly, in any medium. Deaths in stories always seem to be long and drawn out, like with Joe in Gekiganger. Yet Gai's death was just a few zoomed out frames of animation.

EDIT: Wow, the same person voiced Kirika, Yurika, and Dolores? That's some range.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I remember the voice actress for Yuika just.....vanished. She didn't really do much.

Ironic, considering your avatar. She played Kirika in Noir, among other things: person#281

Megiddo wrote:
I'll always remember Gai Daigouji's death. I've never seen anything like it honestly, in any medium. Deaths in stories always seem to be long and drawn out, like with Joe in Gekiganger. Yet Gai's death was just a few zoomed out frames of animation.

Those frames get repeated later when the bishonen pilot for the Jovians is assassinated --- the camera zooms out and it is exactly the same scene.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, crazy. I just relistened to the "Best Of The 90's" ANNCast a few months ago, and I could have sworn Zac praised it a bit there. I thought he even put it on his list! But I must be remembering wrong. I know a couple of people in the episode did have it on their list though. It was enough to get me to preorder this BD even.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I always thought Nadesico did a fair bit of needling of otaku and their proclivities (mocking the Ruri-obsessed old men, the Ryouko/Akatsuki story arc others have mentioned, the gradual breakdown of the Super-Robot-esque Good vs. Evil storyline), but I guess on balance it remains a "by otaku, for otaku" franchise. Not that I'd complain about that, of course. When I first encountered the series in the mid-00s, it fit in quite well in the category I'd call "Anime anime" -- a term I applied to late 90s / early 00s series with outlandish settings and premises, crazy hijinks and chibi-mode/facial deformations, (usually) lots of girls, and of course, the full palette of hair colors. Stuff like Slayers, Sorcerer Hunters, Rune Soldier Louie, Maze, Gokudo, and the like. Though I guess it's somewhat surprising, if not a little disheartening, that eely25's girlfriend got turned away by the first three episodes, rather than the allegedly-worse material after them. Chalk up another victim of mainstream niche-genre ignorance, I guess -- who reads three chapters of some book, puts it down, and decides "I never want to read a book again"?

Of course, I'd say Shou Aikawa is pretty hit and miss as well, but don't just take my word for it. For every Nadesico 1-3 or FMA '03 in his output, there's a slogfest like Neo Ranga or the most boring episode of RahXephon spoiler[the unintentional Legends of the Hidden Temple homage that is episode 9] (no small achievement in a crowded field!)

Quote:
It had just about everything fans were looking for in 1997
Sounds like potent stuff for a TV anime from 1998, right?
The show has pretty solid animation for 1997

Encyclopedia Entry wrote:
Vintage:
1996-10-01 to 1997-03-24

Alternative facts?

dm wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:

Ironic, considering your avatar. She played Kirika in Noir, among other things: person#281
I'm guessing wonderwomanhero is referring to the English dub VA, who indeed hasn't been in any anime since 2000 or so.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:

Megiddo wrote:

Those frames get repeated later when the bishonen pilot for the Jovians is assassinated --- the camera zooms out and it is exactly the same scene.

I meant the english VA lol
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I feel that my interpretation of the show is widely different from Zacs. I thought it was "70s Super Robot shows are awesome, lets embrace that". even when they mock Gekiganger-3, it feels like they are doing so to defend that type of show, claiming that the flaws are part of what makes it great.

It does eventually touch on the idea that space war is a lot more serious than Gai's dream of Gekiganger-3, but not, er, quite with the petty avenging venom that Zac seems to wish it had.

More just the "loss of innocence" idea, even though ultimately, both sides ARE brought back by Gai's otaku beliefs in the "noble ideals" of the show. Yeah, a show where being a hopeless otaku was not only shown as a good quirky thing, but the otaku in question was hooked on space mecha, not magical idols, when was the last time you saw that in anime?? (Remember back when the joke about being an Otaku was that you probably had a Gundam Char-helmet hidden in your bedroom closet? Ahh, simpler times.)

Wyvern wrote:

It wasn't directly inspired by Eva (there was an intentional Eva parody around the same time, but I've long since forgotten the title), but it was a more gentler parody trying to bring humor into an overwrought genre for the sake of incongruity.
Zac's review seems to be coming from the modern perspective, that wants to treat 90's Anime with the same bloodthirsty decade-kitsch as 80's Music--But one of the things that made 90's Anime what it was was that comedy, scifi, mecha and fantasy were more distinct genres, and in a crossover genre-bender like Slayers, Tenchi or Irresponsible Captain Tylor, the appeal was in what oddballs the ensemble cast was, and still managed to live up to the expected trope of the plots...In their own unique way.
Back then, when you had to figure out ways to explain series plots to newbies, we would describe it as "Macross meets The Office".

The appeal was the characters--even if, yes, the plot doesn't quite have enough to hang together once it tries to turn "serious" near the end of the arcs.

{Edit}: Alright time to nip this is the bud. You are already on permanent moderation for being rude, crude, and generally belligerent. So when we, the mods and not Zac btw, see pointless bait attacks against ANYONE in your posts awaiting approval we remove them. Whether it's against a staff member or normal member. Lately you've been tossing a lot of them out. You constantly put your jabs at the mods in your posts and you constantly try and post bait/borderline rude posts. Which is why a nice handful have been simply trashed and not approved FYI. You've also been warned about going back and editing in deleted content or jabs like this post I just had to edit because it got reported by another user. So basically you're still doing the exact same thing that got you on perma moderation. Yet instead of telling Zac to ban you because we're tired of sifting through all of your posts when you keep doing this behavior we edit them and then approve them. So if you really want to go down this route by all means open that door. I don't think you will like the outcome. ~ Psycho 101

Last edited by EricJ2 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
I will always have a fondness for Nadesico. Though I hated with a passion the Nadesico movie for what they did to our favorite characters.

I will probably pick up the BD.
Cabron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
>Evangelion
>deconstruction
There's that meme again.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I remember buying the DVDs as I was determined to investigate a classic.

I was of the 'super robots are stupid' mindset, and y the end of the show I had switched. I would rather be among lighthearted Super Robot fans even if it is a little silly, rather than hardcore-so-serious Real Robots. I mean, the show starts out with a politician, some super serious dude pretty much shooting the embodiment of the Super Robot genre dead. Deep.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote
Ah, Nadesico. Another big boom that wasn't that big. I mean, if you believe the old magazine, fanzines and look at Newtypes, you'd believe it will be the biggest hit. The manga was drawn by Kia Asamiya, nonetheless! (and had a slightly different story -if memory serves me well-)

But... it sizzled. The main characters were unapealling, clinging Yurika wasn't that funny, ditto for Ruri... ("hey, Evangeliion had an almost mute character with blue hair. Let's do a younger one, but with ponytails and white hair!")

Oh, the battles were exciting and the Gekiganger, a nice touch, specially if you were born watching old superrobot animes, like Mazinger or Getta Robo.

In a nutshell, the show swung between moods. They mock superrobots antics, but the next episode they use them with total passion. Yurika was a laughing stock, but then she get the boy, etc.

The dead of Jiro Yamada, was the most shocking thing, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4