• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Graphic Lists The Top 'Best Girls' Since 1983

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
No Kallen Kozuki, "Sekirei" girl (Minato's harem), or Lucy Heartflia? For shame.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
Haruka Nanami, she of the creepy cataract-yellow/green eyes, from the reverse-harem Uta-Pri, made the list not once, but twice??? I think some Uta-Pri fangirls got organized to mess with the vote...
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Lacus holds the record for appearing first most consecutively and being among the top most consecutively. Not hard to see why, Lacus was a real treat for the eyes, her songs were great, and she's really likable.

Lum Invader never #1? I'm surprised. She's one of the best imo.

Yuri is also nice. Love Kyoko Otonashi and Ayukawa too.

Can't believe Mikoto Urabe didn't make the list.

Best girls are feminine girls in both real life and anime.
Pelfmiester

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
This list just baffles me. The characters I see and the characters I don't see and the order of characters I do see just don't match expectations. All the obsession over Asuna in 2012 and for years since and she's not even in the top five. She dominated every poll I remember from back then. Who was voting in this poll? Based on the characters I'm seeing I'm guessing a larger percentage of women voted in this poll compared to the general anime fan base. But even then...
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Pelfmiester wrote:
This list just baffles me. The characters I see and the characters I don't see and the order of characters I do see just don't match expectations. All the obsession over Asuna in 2012 and for years since and she's not even in the top five. She dominated every poll I remember from back then. Who was voting in this poll? Based on the characters I'm seeing I'm guessing a larger percentage of women voted in this poll compared to the general anime fan base. But even then...

Animage is much more of a "general audiences" magazine than most otaku fare. They tend to like shows with a much broader appeal than even SAO can pull in. For instance, here's what their readership has recently considered the "best anime of the year":

2001 Fruits Basket
2002 Gundam SEED
2003 Fullmetal Alchemist
2004 - 2005 Gundam SEED Destiny
2006 - 2008 Code Geass / Code Geass R2
2009 K-On!
2010 - 2012 Inazuma Eleven
2013 Attack on Titan
Pelfmiester

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Animage is much more of a "general audiences" magazine than most otaku fare. They tend to like shows with a much broader appeal than even SAO can pull in. For instance, here's what their readership has recently considered the "best anime of the year":

2001 Fruits Basket
2002 Gundam SEED
2003 Fullmetal Alchemist
2004 - 2005 Gundam SEED Destiny
2006 - 2008 Code Geass / Code Geass R2
2009 K-On!
2010 - 2012 Inazuma Eleven
2013 Attack on Titan

Most of that list isn't overly surprising, though, Fruits Basket is a little more popular than I would have expected (though I'm not sure what it's competition was in 2001), and Inazuma Eleven topping the poll for 3 years is surprising.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Animage does a monthly popularity poll too. It would be interesting to see how the monthly trends stack up against the Grand Prix poll, although the monthly poll's a bit broken for female characters. (Nausicaa placed #1 almost every single month for quite a few years. Animage was the magazine that serialized the Nausicaa manga, and her ballot-stuffing storm troopers apparently quite numerous).

It would be nice to see some similar lists for some of the other Grand Prix categories (they also have Best Male Character, Best Anime, All-Time Best Anime, Best Episode, Best Song, Best Voice Actor, and Best Voice Actress).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
There have been plenty of harem/love triangle TV anime series since 201. A # of them have sold well enough in Japan, so I wonder what the poll's criteria was for Best Girl.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
There have been plenty of harem/love triangle TV anime series since 201. A # of them have sold well enough in Japan, so I wonder what the poll's criteria was for Best Girl.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
Oh my goodness, YES!!! Yui comes out ahead of Mio and Azusa! All is right with the world.
(^o^)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
Ruri from Nadesico enjoyed a very impressive run, if I may remark. To outrank such seminal characters as Asuka and Utena while rising to the top position is no insubstantial feat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TomasHA-SK

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
Nice to see that Canal Vorfeed from Lost Universe got on the list Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3