• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Knight's & Magic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
So, finally got around to watching this series. Pretty enjoyable overall, I can't say I really like the main character, although I certainly don't hate him. His overenthusiastic attitude can be funny at times, but feels somewhat out of place in others (especially since he always seems to be in enthusiastic mode pretty much all the time). I haven't read any of the source material so I don't have anything to compare it to but it's got my interest enough to keep watching.

I do kind of wonder how this kingdom has survived this long when they were having so much trouble against the behemoth in the beginning. How did they defeat all the other monsters that size or larger when they attacked in the past, when they had even more primitive knight armors than at the start of the series? Feels like one of those giant sized beasts would have come through at some point and flattened the capital.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Narration narration, narration narration narration, ahhh narration.

Seriously tho why is this lady still here. She might have necessary in the first episode but she's been totally redundant since then.

I also fail to see how bandages are effective on the outside of the clothing. Come on animators get it together.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The one major shortcoming is once again related to the invaders from the previous episode, as it's speculated that they're from a neighboring nation-collective called the Occident, but still no information is offered as to why their attack took place.

The motives of the invaders are covered in Vol 4 of the LNs, but the anime will have to cover Vol 3 first though (the anime's in the beginning stages of Vol 3).
The Occident is actually composed of many separate nations, meaning the invaders could originate from any of them. Plus, Fremevilla has not enough evidence ATM to pin it on one nation yet.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I do kind of wonder how this kingdom has survived this long when they were having so much trouble against the behemoth in the beginning. How did they defeat all the other monsters that size or larger when they attacked in the past, when they had even more primitive knight armors than at the start of the series? Feels like one of those giant sized beasts would have come through at some point and flattened the capital.

IIRC, the behemoth was division-class, which means to minimize losses, a ton of Silhouette Knights would be needed (at least 100) to keep blasting it until its enchantment magic to wore off and it would die. The country could have managed that if it concentrated its army. Even if that wasn't an option though, a few extra suicidal Silhouette Knight groups would have been sufficient because of the bunker busters they had. Eru minimized losses a lot, but he wasn't absolutely necessary.

Also note that the Silhouette Knights haven't improved much over the ages, so the same bunker buster strategy or the blast it until it runs out of energy strategy are probably only somewhat more effective in the time of the beginning of the anime than from the first Knight was designed.
GhostOfShowsPast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The one major shortcoming is once again related to the invaders from the previous episode, as it's speculated that they're from a neighboring nation-collective called the Occident, but still no information is offered as to why their attack took place.

It seems obvious that the country behind it wants the technology as it is revolutionary which would increase their own might.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
my real concern is that eru's fascination might be a double edged sword. its clear he knows he have the memories of his previous life so he probably have to understand that implementing tech from his old life might have potential world ending consequences. i am sure in the LNs that he's not that obsessed into robots that he have turned into WMD's or even have some equipped with nuclear type energy, right?

that would really send eru's character development in the wrong direction. worse case scenario , he could end up being more disliked than that MC from chaos dragon .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xavon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
First of all, ERU! It is 20 flipping 17. We don't need our names and nicknames anglicized!

Second, this is not Eru's first failure. Remember the arm falling off because the strand fibers were too strong? Or the prototype running out of power mid fight.

Third, holy crap, we're up to the flight pack already? I knew this show was skipping through the novels like nobody's business, but come on.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely one of the more solid shows this season. The main drawback for me remains the same as before. The supporing cast is massively underdeveloped, perhaps with the slight exception of the knight trainer guy who initially ran away. He has gotten a small amount of development. Everyone else is more or less one dimensional. This is especially bad with the two girls who are part of Ernie's group and tend to squee and cling to him nearly every time they see him after he's been out of sight for an hour or two. The dark haired girl is especially bad in that regard. Unfortunately, I don't think the writing for this show truly respects it's female characters. That being said, I do think they've done a good enough job building Ernie and he is carrying the show well enough to make it good overall.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I amreading the manga, but where I am i far behidn the anime now, so this is just pure speculation and I am considering the world ending consequences a shadow hanging over the series in the same way the madoka rip offs now have that element.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
This is definitely one of the more solid shows this season. The main drawback for me remains the same as before. The supporing cast is massively underdeveloped, perhaps with the slight exception of the knight trainer guy who initially ran away. He has gotten a small amount of development. Everyone else is more or less one dimensional. This is especially bad with the two girls who are part of Ernie's group and tend to squee and cling to him nearly every time they see him after he's been out of sight for an hour or two. The dark haired girl is especially bad in that regard. Unfortunately, I don't think the writing for this show truly respects it's female characters. That being said, I do think they've done a good enough job building Ernie and he is carrying the show well enough to make it good overall.

you cant blame the writing for this series you know. the script is more or less completely faithful to its light novel counterpart which is the same for any LN adaptations. if they had make any of the characters differently , including the girls who are all over ernie like a pack of hot soup, then LN elitists would complain that the series isnt faithful and more or less declare the series an anime original version and NOT canon to the source materials.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
^

I agree, but for me that is still a big negative. Like I said, Ernie is a character that is very difficult not to like, so he can carry the show completely by himself and that has worked so far. They have done an excellent job building him up. He is basically the perfect kid: smart, humble, kind, cute, hard working, respectful of his elders, driven, etc... If I wanted to design a virtually flawless character, it would probably be like Ernie. And I'm not saying he is a Gary Stu either. That dude from Isekai Smartphone is a Gary Stu. Ernie is something else, more like the idealized person. Like Conan from Detective Conan but he's not acting, everything is earnest and authentic with him.

That being said, this show probably could be an amazing, A-tier show if the other characters weren't just shells to help exemplify Ernie's greatness. Like in the last episode for example, once again we have Addy and Stephania both clinging to Ernie in a pretty over the top manner that was almost disturbing in its excessiveness. The amount of times that they appear on screen just to cling to him and fight over him makes them seem deranged. I assume the author did that to vicariously live out a fantasy of two hot girls being insane with their desire to cling to and fight over his self insert, and I understand that that is something that appears in other similar works, but it's a very poor use of characters and detracts from the material significantly.

Notwithstanding, I continue to enjoy this show overall. It will probably end up as a solid "B" for me if it continues on its current trajectory.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
not necessarily.

most LN series have instances where two girls always cling to the MC (one example is in log horizon where shiro is a prime example of a gary stu). especially if one of them is a childhood friend which is who addy is. as for her sister, that is another story since at times she acts like she is one of those girls who have a thing for younger boys.

so while ernie do have those qualities, i wouldnt necessarily call him a gary stu character. that is along as the series dont go down the SAO route and introduce another mysterious girl that have taken an interest in him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can almost see the argument for owning personal giant war-robots for fun along the same lines as people who own guns for hunting or sport purposes.

It's actually more analogous to Arnold Schwarzenegger buying a tank (which he did) to wreck stuff for fun in his spare time.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
I can almost see the argument for owning personal giant war-robots for fun along the same lines as people who own guns for hunting or sport purposes.

It's actually more analogous to Arnold Schwarzenegger buying a tank (which he did) to wreck stuff for fun in his spare time.

True. The LN is a bit more clear on how weird it is to own your personal mech and that it was unusual for the former king to request one for "leisure" purposes. Edgar and Dietrich having their own personal machines is especially unusual because they aren't even in the Knight Commander rank. Even officers ranked that high usually don't own a personal mech; the Haimerwort is the only non-Silver Phoenix custom mech in the country that is mentioned in the LNs.
Xavon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

you cant blame the writing for this series you know. the script is more or less completely faithful to its light novel counterpart which is the same for any LN adaptations. if they had make any of the characters differently , including the girls who are all over ernie like a pack of hot soup, then LN elitists would complain that the series isnt faithful and more or less declare the series an anime original version and NOT canon to the source materials.

Completely faithful? Large swaths have been cut out, elements rearranged.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7