• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Classic Anime Tropes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Right on with this list, not one series goes by without having at least one of these in them that I've seen.

Also can anybody tell me the name of the character who is on the ANN page link that leads to this article? (Horse jockey ojousan)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Best example of #4 ever (pretty innocuous, but maybe nsfw if your work is really strict?):http://i67.tinypic.com/347v29k.jpg (Comical Psychosomatic Medicine #6)
Thanks, now I really want to see how that happens...

You can find it on YT, I just didn't want to link it since the source is a streaming site that shall remain nameless. There's an even more extreme example later in the episode, but it wasn't suitable for a single image since it's a long tilt to get the full effect. Very Happy

@ Wandering Samurai: That's Ayame Minamikujō from Silver Spoon 2.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
Loved it, found it, did an edit and uploaded. This is what happens to schoolgirls when riding the commuter train after it rounds a corner!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
Being a harem fan, I like the "If You're a Harem Anime Protagonist, Your Parents Are 'Gone on Business'" trope. One reason you couldn't really get away with this in real life trope in because the temptation of teen pregnancy does run high.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
In anime, no matter how good of friends you are as children, if one of you moves away, you will never have contact with that person. Apparently, phones don't exist or a postal service. Never mind trains to go visiting. Years later, when you meet again, one or both of you will not recognize the other.
Vizo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that character that says "Things are getting interesting!" right before a big event.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
People actually voted for Sumanai in last week's poll... If any Apoc servants made the list, I expected Mordred or Jeanne.

Then again Mochizuki Toya got votes. I guess it is an under performing season.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
In anime, no matter how good of friends you are as children, if one of you moves away, you will never have contact with that person. Apparently, phones don't exist or a postal service. Never mind trains to go visiting. Years later, when you meet again, one or both of you will not recognize the other.

This isn't entirely unreasonable, as children often won't have the means or the energy to keep up a long-distance relationship, whether as friends or otherwise.

That said, the whole "childhood friends reunited" thing is a pretty huge cliche in romance/harem shows when it's between a boy and a girl, especially the ones aimed at men. In particular, the promise would be to marry each other when they're grown up. And while the boy will forget that promise in the interrim, the girl will not only remember, but expect said childhood promise to be fulfilled when they reunite later on.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Let´s not forget the most annoying rom-com anime troupe.

If the MC love interests is a rich Ojou-sama or a princess, they are almost always engaged with a pervert nasty fiance that are only interested on her money/position. And that always have a arc here the marriage gets canceled and the fiance get dumped or arrested in the end.
Soval

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Heck, you could do a whole list just on school tropes:

1) The main character always hangs out on the roof.
-- So the relevant characters can socialize and talk shop without the irrelevant other students getting in the way. Sometimes the teachers even lend them a key to the roof so they can do this.

2) Transfer students yell "it's you."
-- While being introduced to the class they immediately notice the MC and excitedly or angrily react, completely ignoring everyone else so they can have a noisy exchange. Nobody stops them.

3) Main characters wear different school uniforms.
-- Minor or major deviations from what the all regular students wear clues you in that they are not regular students... they might actually have names or do something plot related. Otherwise how would you know?

4) Romantically frustrated teachers.
-- Apparently all female teachers in their mid to late twenties have constant problems finding or keeping a boyfriend, and will angrily kvetch at their students about every detail of their romantic woes. In class.

5) Weird principals
-- The school principal/owner/director is usually revealed to be eccentric and odd looking. They might be extremely short or not entirely human, or they might have a weird hobby or personal fixation. They will pop up out of nowhere and dispense advice or bark orders, often leaving students and faculty baffled. Yet somehow they are still respected and allowed to run a school.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Ohoho laughs give me life. I will love any character who does that laugh.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I also love that Heavy Object had the (sort of) villain be identified as Miss Ohoho because she did the evil "Ohoho" laugh all the time

Same. I've never watched the show but I know she's best girl just because of her laugh. I watched a bunch of videos of her laugh and every so often I hear "ohoho?" in my head.

Quote:
I'd like to see this lampshaded at some point, with a character yelling at everything on the beach to let us know what it is.

Not lampshaded in the same way, but I feel like Love Live did a funny version when they went to the beach, and everyone's like UMI DA!! and then Honoka looks at Umi and says UMI DA!
But maybe I imagined that. I totally can't tell anymore.
There was at least a bit where Honoka is like "UMI WA?", referring to when can they go to the beach, and Umi is like "watashi?"
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
7 Regardless if it's a uniform or not, the cast will always wear the same clothes unless the show is set in college or from those overambitious jerks at Kyoto Animation. Showoffs...

This one recently occurred to me again while I try to assail the wall of Eureka 7 again. Renton has his clothes lost multiple times but that doesn't explain/excuse the Gekko State crew. Honestly, this one works for all cheap animation though anime has a monopoly on the use of "uniform", from schools to alternate universe mech space jockeys.

8 If cooking comes up, there will be someone who has negative cooking ability. Not little or zero but an inhumanly ability to destroy the ingredients, the meal, the eater or the kitchen... Rosaio + Vampire took this one step further by the cooking taking out the cook as well.

There were no survivors. Oh well, most of them were already undead anyway....

9 Karaoke!... more specifically a scene with limited animation where the show can display whatever, ahem, "song" they want. A series of them, in fact. Buy the CD, support the artists, karaoke!

10 School trip to Kyoto unless the show is set in Kyoto which then it's a trip... within?... Kyoto. Just exotic enough to be foreign yet still local. Or Okinawa.

11 Standard yet generic Japanese landmarks. I don't mean the obvious things like Tokyo Tower, Mt Fuji or the Diet building, I swear I've seen this same beach/stone wall combo in over ten different shows. Artificial riverbank, sidewalk on a hill with concrete embankment.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
7 Regardless if it's a uniform or not, the cast will always wear the same clothes unless the show is set in college or from those overambitious jerks at Kyoto Animation. Showoffs...

I remember Joshiraku didn't do this, and I've heard Shirobako didn't as well. I can't remember if Sakura Quest has characters with different clothes but I think so?
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
11 Standard yet generic Japanese landmarks. I don't mean the obvious things like Tokyo Tower, Mt Fuji or the Diet building, I swear I've seen this same beach/stone wall combo in over ten different shows. Artificial riverbank, sidewalk on a hill with concrete embankment.

That one corner in the mountains above x city that everyone drives round.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I remember Joshiraku didn't do this, and I've heard Shirobako didn't as well. I can't remember if Sakura Quest has characters with different clothes but I think so?

Both SHIROBAKO and Sakura Quest dress their characters in different outfits from episode to episode. It certainly add to these shows appeal.

Not only do Aoi and Yoshino look alike physically, they both share a taste for the jumper-with-shorts look. Never did much for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4