• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Take to Change.org To Bring Back Former Kemono Friends Director

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

C) Kadokawa statement about that they can't communicate with the studio past August and the studio withdrew, is also the cover-up lie - the collab between Yaoyorozu and Nissin was done in September, and because of the previous stated claim of Nissin that Kadokawa know all about it, it's clearly to say who is lying right there.

it was released in September, but when was it actually produced? The timeslot it aired in was certainly September, but how weeks out was it scheduled?
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I would like to point that chage.org petition don't have "goals" as much they do certain checkpoints. Looking at it now, the "goal" has moved 75,000. Change.org petitions just kind of keep going until they are shut down for one reason or another.
mcantrell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Could this be another example of someone having given approval to a promotion that did not have the authority to do so?

Mark Gosdin

Both companies have made public statements that they do not know what Kadokawa is talking about, they went through Kadokawa to get permission to make the commercials with Tatsuki's studio.

The character designer of Kemono Friends made a statement in April that Kadokawa gave Tatsuki permission to do "secondary works." This is also part of the Kemono Friends collaboration agreement thing (Kemono Friends supposedly isn't owned by Kadokawa, it's a collaboration between a half dozen companies) that says that say, the music publisher can put out a Kemono Friends music CD without having to ask the Manga Publisher for permission.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
it might've ended up that way with a different director

If so, then it would have to be another newer director. The basic concept of the show is to take nonhuman things and turn them into cute girls, which has been a pretty common idea in anime for a while now. That means there had already been plenty of opportunities for other people to turn this premise into something just as successful if they were capable of doing so, and yet they did not, despite having far more resources at their disposal.

We will never get an honest official statement about what took place, but a reasonably clear picture emerges from viewing what is known through the lens of Japanese corporate politics. To start with, Tatsuki and Kadokawa had both decided on different visions for how the show should continue. We don't even need any confirmation because this is an inevitable occurrence.

Although Kadokawa was aware that Tatsuki's version was more likely to be what the fans wanted and would have compromised or even approved of it entirely if he were a more established figure, they could not tolerate the disrespect of being challenged by a mere upstart. Technically this would be considered speculation, but there's not many other plausible scenarios where Kadokawa would need to blatantly lie and provoke the ire of other companies to cover up their own pettiness, and it's consistent with how Japanese companies operate.

They would not hesitate to cite creative differences unless they feared that if he ever revealed what he had in mind the fans would be furious about what got made instead. If they were concerned he might be a one-hit wonder and wanted someone they had more faith in at the helm, they would have kept him onboard for brainstorming ideas that the more experienced staff could then filter and polish, in order to avoid exactly this kind of backlash. Had he demanded an unreasonable sum of money or something of that nature, they certainly wouldn't make themselves look so bad just to protect his reputation. We also already know the unauthorized use of their IP was a lie.

All those realistic possibilities are easily ruled out, as are most if not all others except for the case of Kadokawa deciding that letting Tatsuki know who the boss really is was more important than the future of this franchise. They are well within their rights to do so, but doing something stupid just to prove the point that you can does not make it smart thing to do.

Moroboshi-san wrote:
Nothing new here and any anime director should understand that.

The things you say are correct, but I think that under these circumstances he made the right choice. If he had allowed them to dictate the course for the second season knowing that the results would be unsatisfactory, he and his team would have been held responsible for its failure and continued to make peanuts while they quickly faded away as untalented hacks who merely benefited from a fluke. I'm sure he's well aware that this situation will hurt his career and the studio unless Kadokawa does the unthinkable by not using their clout to drive them out of the industry, but this way they get to go out with a bang as people who managed to turn lead into gold but then got screwed over.

Last edited by Parse Error on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:03 am; edited 4 times in total
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Japanese corporations are notorious for back stabbing employees for petty reasons and this certainly looks like one of those cases. So far Kadokawa has fired the director, fired the production company, and made the actresses apologize for them. Also the Kadokawa press release assured fans that the mission to learn about animals would continue which sounds like it was written by a manager who has never even watched the show.

Just to add something to this, here's a little note: This is one of the reasons why many American companies like Kickstarter, at least until recently, require foreign companies or individuals to use an American strawman, so that they can comply with American laws, and not with the laws of their countries, precisely to avoid something like this.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
It was released in September, but when was it actually produced? The timeslot it aired in was certainly September, but how weeks out was it scheduled?
It wasn't just released in September - the collab itself started in September.
Genix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
Dammit. I really liked the series too. But you know, corporate scumbags think themselves mighty and just do whatever they want. This is the problem when a company gets too big and influential in one sector: Is their their way or the highway.

The best thing that could happen as a whole form this, for other not-as-prominent publishers to start getting steam with their IP's, so that Kodakawa gets some more competition and isn't as inclined to pull crap like this as much. Because that way, people can start boycotting their IP's and just moving to the other publishers'.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:58 am Reply with quote
I cannot tell if this is a good idea. If this is their way to "fix" Kemono Friends, then I hope they succeed, which is very unlikely sadly.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Amusingly, wikipedia says that Kadokawa's president and CEO is Satan. That clearly explains everything. http://archive.fo/1iWIB

Well, he's "Major source of inspiration in corporate ethics now", so I guess that's sort of a demotion. Razz

So, depending on how invested you are in this show, feel free to imagine the CEO saying to Satan: "Excuse me, but I believe you're in my chair." (Just to put a new spin on an old Bill Gates joke.)
americananimotk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
It seems as if Kadokawa is taking a page right out of Konami's book on how to treat your most valueable employees. That is especially the case since the Kemono Friends project was in real trouble before the anime was handed over to TATSUKI, who saved the series nearly single handed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3