• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blade Runner's Unbelievable Influence On Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The lack of Psycho-Pass is sad. Even Makishima recommends reading the original novel in the actual series.

Also, even Darker than Black's first season seems to be influenced by Blade Runner to the point the final episode was titled after Dick's novel.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:09 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
The lack of Psycho-Pass is sad. Even Makishima recommends reading the original novel in the actual series.

Also, even Darker than Black's first season seems to be influenced by Blade Runner to the point the final episode was titled after Dick's novel.

I think it's just that. Psycho-pass is influenced way more from the novel than the movie. Even the world of psycho-pass seems heavily focused on not making a cyberpunk corporate hellhole, but a cyberpunk corporate police state. But yeah, one influence from Blade Runner I can think of is Snatcher. I know its a video game, but it so heavily cribs from Bladerunner I have always wondered that is why it has never been rereleased recently. I actually played Snatcher before I watched bladerunner. It still does its own original ideas, but it still uses the big spoiler that

spoiler[ Deckard is a Replicant himself ]
TravellinMatt77

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote
The WWWA headquarters from Dirty Pair bears a passing resemblance to that of the Tyrell Corporation. And I feel like Battle Angel Alita was at least influenced by Blade Runner, if only subconsciously.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
"After all, we now more or less live in the shabby, polluted, corporate run, authoritarian surveillance state of Blade Runner..."

I guess you live in England?
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:10 am Reply with quote
I just may re-watch the original Blade Runner its been a few years since I've seen it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:34 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting that ANN doesn't have a review yet of the new Blade Runner TV series, when others have even released theirs even before the TV premiere
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:41 am Reply with quote
The MegaTokyo webcomic is still going........sorta. Fred puts out about a comic a month.
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Silent Möbius wasn´t mentioned despite the manga ripping off the film very directly in the manga. The (inferior) anime had to tone down the parallels but it´s still clear which movie story they "adapted" in that ep. They also borrowed the film´s visual wholesale too. Not the greatest franchise, despite some charming characters, but that goes for most who tried to bask in Blade´s greatness.

The original Philip K. Dick novel is another masterpiece and all of you who need pictures to go with your novel should check out the 24 part BOOM! Studios comic adaptation. Every word is featured, to the comic´s detriment.

Yeah, I was also looking for a reference to Silent Möbius in the article. The manga/anime is definitely the love child of Blade Runner and the Cthulhu Mythos.[/i]
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:17 pm Reply with quote
TravellinMatt77 wrote:
The WWWA headquarters from Dirty Pair bears a passing resemblance to that of the Tyrell Corporation. And I feel like Battle Angel Alita was at least influenced by Blade Runner, if only subconsciously.

Watching the first two episodes of Black Lotus this weekend made me seriously want to give Alita a rewatch, because the setup felt so similar. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3