• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:36 pm Reply with quote
That "Jesus" moment was something. But I am totally down to spending time going over the mechanics of a story's magic system. I have in fact been doing it with my own just recently, to make sure it is fleshed out before writing much with it.

My thought otherwise would be that the imbuing the water may not quite be a no go, because there is nothing in just water molecules for the magic to cling to. Creating some sort of magical fertiliser would perhaps be more efficient.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:41 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
But now we know that the potency of Sei's power depends on her heart. How exactly? Based on how strongly she feels about something? Her emotions at that point of time?

This sounds like what I was saying last week in the Review thread about Aira and Sei. I've bolded the parts that we saw demonstrated in this episode.

"I'm kind of wondering if the difference in power or Saintness has to do with how the two feel about this world. Sei is content and has adopted the place in her heart, with no apparent attachments to her old world, but Aira is unhappy and quite homesick, and does not think of this world as hers, i.e., a place and people she wants to protect. Maybe the true Saint needs to feel that way before she can become a Saint. If so, then Aira's not entirely out of the running yet."
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:52 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
"I'm kind of wondering if the difference in power or Saintness has to do with how the two feel about this world. Sei is content and has adopted the place in her heart, with no apparent attachments to her old world, but Aira is unhappy and quite homesick, and does not think of this world as hers, i.e., a place and people she wants to protect. Maybe the true Saint needs to feel that way before she can become a Saint. If so, then Aira's not entirely out of the running yet."

Interesting theory, and likely to be true.

So it has something to do with sense of belonging (contentment), but I also saw that it may be more than that. From the battle in the forest, her powers have also manifested out of instinct (for self-defense) and emotional burst (to protect someone). In Aira's case... I can't conclude anything, tbh. The show just doesn't explore her side enough for me to deduce that it has something to do with sense of belonging/contentment (or lack thereof).

Sei knows she has powers; I just don't think she realizes how powerful she really is. Can't blame Yuri for seeing Sei as an intriguing specimen.

Last edited by ACxS on Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:07 am Reply with quote
Well, what you called "instinct" and "emotional burst" are both facets of her wanting to protect someone she values: herself and Albert (& Co.). Likewise when she healed all the soldiers. So as I said, not just feeling like this is her world that she loves, but also a place that makes her want to protect it and its people. Protecting the kingdom is after all why Saints are summoned in the first place.

Aira hasn't really had such opportunities to show off, it's true. Her lessons haven't been life or death situations for anyone. But where she has shown Saintly aptitude was in self-care - removing exactly the amount of water from her to dry off while staying moisturized. Laughing Which suggests to me that she could display Saintly power if she had any reason to, or cared enough about anyone here to exercise it for their benefit. Right now she seems to be too miserable and homesick to do that.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:07 pm Reply with quote
9:

Ladies finally getting their tea party. Yay!

I mentioned before that Kyle is self-centered and overly-protective. And a dick. But with a heart in the right place. Most important part is how he's doing damage control. Here's where I need to correct myself.

"Self-centered", yes he is. But that's the ruse he wants to portray to everyone, just so that he can take the heat off of Aira. Got the job done. Overly-protective, he is. He's trying to compensate for swiping Aira, thinking is the Saint only because she's the better-looking of the two (let me call this the "main mess"). Did he really think that Sei is an imposter? This might also be a ruse to everyone else: his plan to be the villain so that everyone focuses on him, and not Aira (aka taking the fall). He apologized to his father, but for what exactly? For calling Sei an imposter (basically not admitting he's wrong), or for causing a ruckus with his master plan? I think it's more of the latter.

Damage control, yes he is trying to do. Because of the "main mess", he landed Aira in a pickle and had to think of all the ruses to prevent her from being condemned as the not-Saint. A dick, that's the plan. His heart in the right place, no question about it. When we learned how Kyle is just like Seigfried when he's younger, we can kinda infer what kind of character Kyle is: brash and reckless, has his own way of fixing his problems, and he has a good heart (this is the important part).

And now Aira is in a better place, and she finally gets the social support she's been seeking this whole time. Did Elizabeth have any kind of malicious intent? No. It's just a simple case of her not knowing what Kyle was planning, at least until the conversation with Seigfried.

If anything, she just wants a tea party. They all wanted to have a tea party. We all wanted to see a tea party.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:55 am Reply with quote
I am going to start seeing Sei as the herbology version of Goblin Slayer, where as soon as someone says goblins he is in. "Did someone say alchemy?" Because was ready to go on that trip to the alchemy domain, after the guys were looking for ways to get her out of it. If it is bad in places, and Sei can be one of the only ones who can help, I would not be surprised that she starts going harder. Which then makes me wonder if someone might need to step in if she puts herself in danger.

But Aira is now in a better place, with Liz at her side. Kyle looked to set himself up as a bad guy to try and put heat on himself instead of others, but he still said some serious things like claiming that his father set up a fake, publicly accused Liz of acting out of jealousy. the isolation of Aira and the stuff with Sei that looked like he was about to grab her. Still kind of seems that his accusations that Aira's freedom was at risk were kind of misplaced.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:14 pm Reply with quote
10:

Remember how the people around Sei were worried if word got out that she is the Saint? This is why. It's no surprise that Klausner probably want something from Sei. His region teaches her a thing or two about alchemy, he probably wants something in return? Not necessarily having malicious intent, but things don't come for free.

Just two questions:

1) So apparently there existed a Saint before. How do such people come about? And why is Sei a special case: someone summoned from another world? Just curious.

2) Would Sei find Commander Hawke more irresistable if he had swol biceps? Just curious too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:08 am Reply with quote
I liked the part where she took notice of the biceps. To be fair to Albert, he was pretty smooth in the episode too. But nothing wrong with checking out some muscles.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:34 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
His region teaches her a thing or two about alchemy, he probably wants something in return? Not necessarily having malicious intent, but things don't come for free.

What they get in return is her ridding the area of monsters. They're just paying their fee in advance, and learning some things in the process.

I think all the Saints but the first one were summoned, but maybe not. Maybe they just summon one whenever there doesn't happen to be a candidate already among the population.

As for Albert's smooth moves, I just finished ranting about that in the review thread. Let's just say I wasn't a fan of his timing or approach.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:35 am Reply with quote
Under normal circumstances a Saint appears naturally somewhere in the kingdom when ever the miasma/monsters rise to a problematical level. Only once in the past history of the kingdom was it necessary to summon a Saint from another world. Chief Magus Yuri was able to find the necessary ritual and had to use all the kingdom's magi to cast it.

Basically there have been only three people summoned in the history of the Kingdom. Two Saints and a spare.

Of course Klausner wants something from Sei. They want her to renew the blessing on their herb fields. That way they can go back to producing bountiful harvests of herbs and will be able to cultivate hard to grow herbs. What Sei (and by extension the kingdom) wants is lots of herbs and access to rare herbs. I really don't see any conflict of interest here. Laughing
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
11:

Erhart and Yuri, Naruto-running in the hall.
Yuri taking Aira as his new guinea pig.
Sei squirming like a little girl when she learns Hawke is the magic word.
Sei low-key fanning herself now that she's aware that Hawke is the "problem".

Yeah, when this show's having fun, I'm having fun too.

But you know when's the best part? The tension between Hawke and Leonardt, with Sei in the center. Hawke versus Leonardt (not Albert!). Knight in Shining Armor versus Chad "Meathead" Thundercock. It's not going to be a love triangle or even a legit rivalry but oh god, the idea is too tempting! More so when Sei gave Leonardt the thumbs up to not be so formal which, if Hawke learns about this, would feel like something's growing between them. OH GOD!

Did I mention how much fun I'm having?

But now we have only one more episode left. How is this show planning to wrap for now?

Last edited by ACxS on Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:40 am; edited 4 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:37 am Reply with quote
Psst - boyfriend's name is Albert Hawke. The puppy is Leonhardt. Wink

I was kinda worried, but Albert seems to be handling his jealousy with more restraint than I was anticipating. I'm also glad to see Aira getting some field time.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:15 am Reply with quote
Sei calls him by his surname so I'll just go with that. Even seems like the surname alone is a trigger for her.

But this raises another issue: she still formally refers to him by his name (Hawke-sama uwu) instead of casually by his first name Albert. Does she realize she hasn't closed the intimacy gap yet? Maybe her fettered heart won't be able to take it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:21 am Reply with quote
Um, either Hawke or Albert is fine, whichever you prefer, but you kept referring to Leonhardt as Albert, which makes it sound like Hawke is having a Tyler Durden meltdown. Laughing
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:27 am Reply with quote
OH PFFT, I was wondering what you were saying because I didn't realize I typed "Hawke versus Albert"! That's awkward @.@

Gotta fix that one. Crap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9