• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Police in a Pod (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The part that made me laugh the most is when the police got called away from their mixer and their prospective dates wound up going to karaoke together!
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I swear I saw that coming from a mile away.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:15 pm Reply with quote
7:

I feel like Minamoto is the stand-out character in this episode for two reasons.

In the first part, I can't help but wonder if his sentiments on the "ferocity of policewomen" echoes what many men feel in light of the sexual harassment claims. With more women speaking up about sexual harassments at the workplace, men are becoming more nervous around them, wondering if there's anything wrong with what they say or do that would trigger a reaction, and therefore feel like they're walking on egg shells around them.

Or maybe it's just Minamoto feeling the heat after his screwup with the captain's car, and thus having his thoughts screwing him up.

In the second part... I wonder if he genuinely doesn't want the woman to throw the man he loves under the bus, or he's simply playing the good cop (and Kawai playing the mildly bad cop). Good cop/bad cop is a tried and tested tactic where the bad cop coerces the woman to speak up or suffer the consequences, and the good cop butters her up and gets on the woman's good side. Either way, it taps on the woman's moral conscience to help with the investigation. I just can't help but feel that, given Minamoto's sly understanding of how people behave, he was just playing the good cop and Kawai didn't realize the role she played along the way.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Sexual harassment? Kawai on one hand refused to hold Minamoto's hand while on the other went to a sex hotel with him... which is Japanese culture to the letter which also comes up in this episode: Any public displays of affection are more problematic than what goes on behind closed doors somehow.

I don't think it was a good cop/bad cop technique. Minamoto got the woman to see him not as a cop at all.

What I didn't get what the idea that the guy dealt meth but was also a user.... of his own supply even.
Does not compute. Did they mean marijuana? I could buy that but meth is a little.... no.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:14 am Reply with quote
I just started this and I'm up to episode 4 so far. I have to say that the reactions by some of the reviewers was a little extreme. Yea, I think it makes a few small missteps like sometimes they are a little too happy at catching an abuser which seems a little tonally off with the situation. For me the humor isn't going to knock you to the floor with belly laughs. However, its done a fairly decent job (for Japan) of pointing out sexist attitudes in the workplace and that the job like any other can have its tedious moments.

I think it could do a better job juggling its serious and comedic elements, but based on what I've watched so far calling it cop propaganda is a little over the top. Overall its ok, if you are expecting Law and Order SVU or Hot Fuzz then you are probably going to be disappointed, it's more of a light hearted SOL which should work fine for some viewers.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:02 pm Reply with quote
8:

A gung-ho junior who barks louder than he can bite, and has no sense of self-awareness. Yeah, a real pain in the ass. In any kind of setting, there's bound to be a person like Shikine, but you just have to put up with it. Based on personal experience, such people tend to learn the hard way; learning it the easy way just won't do.

I'm not too sure, but Minamoto and Yamada barging in and mouthing off with the Yakuza felt like a premeditated move. Something similar to Good Cop Bad Cop, where they played the bad cops and Seiko played the good one. Such a tactic can help to deescalate a tense situation since it helps both parties in saving themselves before the scuffle blows up. It would be a lose-lose situation after all.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:17 pm Reply with quote
So I'm not sure I cared for episode 8. On the one hand, seeing the guy ignorantly bad talking the usefulness of women police officers and Fuji's barely restrained anger was decent.

However, the show then goes on to display what it considers the usefulness of a woman in a tense situation. Its not her personal strength of character or her negotiation skills that contributes. No its her femininity. Its beauty that soothes the wild beasts that are men. In a way it sort of reduces men to sort of just meat heads and women as these delicate figures that men don't want to trample on, so they are willing to stop to stop their fighting. It feels both stereotypical and degrading of both sexes. It just didn't sit right with me. Its sort of in this situation presenting both in what might be considered "traditional" roles of men and women, but by doing so it also undercuts Fuji's regular frustration with the sexist environment of her workplace.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:32 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

However, the show then goes on to display what it considers the usefulness of a woman in a tense situation. Its not her personal strength of character or her negotiation skills that contributes. No its her femininity. Its beauty that soothes the wild beasts that are men. In a way it sort of reduces men to sort of just meat heads and women as these delicate figures that men don't want to trample on, so they are willing to stop to stop their fighting. It feels both stereotypical and degrading of both sexes. It just didn't sit right with me. Its sort of in this situation presenting both in what might be considered "traditional" roles of men and women, but by doing so it also undercuts Fuji's regular frustration with the sexist environment of her workplace.

It's bit more/less complicated than that. Before we are rational beings, we are animals. The key point of the scene between the police and Yakuza was that it was public, with phones out already taking pictures of the police.

Neither side can back down under that circumstance without looking face so it can only escalate... until the intervention of an intermediate. Someone both sides can defer to without looking weak to the public. "Good thing my chick's here!" is the universal message of backing down without running away.

If you want to complain about sexism, why not complain about Fuji slapping Yamada every time she wanted to slap Shikine? Yet you didn't, why is that? That part I didn't like as it hits upon a double standard; I'm ok with women slapping men in anime but I don't care for it when women slap men when they really want to slap other men. If you feel like doing, do it and live with the consequences. If you know you shouldn't do it then don't.

My vote for best character in the series goes to the Lt's wife. She lets her husband go back on the job on their wedding anniversary of all days to low key save Kawai's life. She knows that she's married to him and his job. She even gets the "hero walks into the horizon" shot but I would have loved the seen the look on her face.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:18 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
If you want to complain about sexism, why not complain about Fuji slapping Yamada every time she wanted to slap Shikine? Yet you didn't, why is that? That part I didn't like as it hits upon a double standard; I'm ok with women slapping men in anime but I don't care for it when women slap men when they really want to slap other men. If you feel like doing, do it and live with the consequences. If you know you shouldn't do it then don't.

Because I didn't get the chance and the other situation was more annoying to me since it undercuts the character? But since you insist...yea when I think about it I didn't care for that either. I mean I was ok with her getting mad and her expressions, but yes you have a point about the slapping. I get it's being done for comedic effect, but this kind of slapstick doesn't work for me. Now if everytime Fuji slapped Yamada he then went and slapped the other guy then that would have been better for me (its like a 3 stooges gag). If they were really good friends and he normally accepted abuse that might have worked or if she was slapping him because he wasn't speaking up in defense. But just being her punching bag because she's ticked and she's his senpai might have been going too far?
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:33 pm Reply with quote
9:

We should all know by now: Seiko is a troll in disguise.

That conversation between the lieutenant and the rest of the guys cracked me up. Not just because it's hilarious, but how the bargaining hits home too much. You can tell by now how close the relationship is between him and the rest, which is a good thing, but it's hilarious how they tried every trick in the book just to get away from training. Like, how is this different from a class of students trying to bargain with a teacher to cut them some slack?

And how does the teacher/lieutenant win in the end? "Look, I don't wanna do this either, but trust me, this is much better than the alternative. Put up with me (the small devil) or the real instructor (the real devil)". True in his case, but in a negotiation, this kind of negotiation paints the lieutenant in a better light, and more importantly, makes himself sound like he's on their side. This is actually negotiation 101.

The second part of the episode is nothing much. The message is how there are always shitty days as a police officer, but they should never let their guard down. Every distress / disturbance call should be treated seriously, because who knows when someone is really suicidal. This is why prank calls are insidious: they play on on officers' trust on whether a call is real when they receive one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the first half was pretty funny when Seiko was playing up their boss' sense of honour by playing out like they were innocent peasant women being abused. And to the point that he did come down that he was saving them from worse.

And I really enjoyed the second half, because I think some of my favourite parts of this show is where they pretty much play the part of social workers by checking in on the everyday people. Such as the man that looked like he was becoming confused by misplacing his items and not understanding his environment, that they would need to get in touch with his family. Also, Sakamoto, who I felt the sinking feeling when things were different the third time. It touched that element that they always had to be prepared for the worst, but I also think that his mother would not be enough, he clearly needed some severe mental health help.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:49 am Reply with quote
Kawai will remember this event for the rest of her career. I doubt she'll fail to take suicide calls seriously in the future.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:49 am Reply with quote
Kawai will remember this event for the rest of her career. I doubt she'll fail to take suicide calls seriously in the future.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:01 pm Reply with quote
10:

Part 1

I actually imagine that police officers losing their IDs would be more common than what people think. Even if the penalty is perhaps more hefty than say, people who lose their regular IDs, it's one of those things where reality is stranger than what people might think. "Police officer losing his ID? That's crazy!". Well, you might be surprised. One thing's for sure, keeping anything (ID, wallet) in your back pocket is always a bad idea.

Switchboard lady, I love her. Notice how her pitch changes when spoke to Seiko compared to Minamoto.

Part 2

Jesus that was grim.

I guess it's inevitable that a police officer is bound to encounter a traumatic experience at some point of their career. Road traffic accidents are common—just look up the stats and see how many take place in a day—and the accidents that occur are often grisly. Kawai had to encounter the worst kind, so it's pretty natural she's shaken up for a week. Some people couldn't even get a hold of themselves their whole lives after witnessing something like that.

That's the thing about (road traffic) accidents, isn't it: it happens to anyone, and shocks the ones who least expect them the most.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:20 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Part 2

Jesus that was grim.

I guess it's inevitable that a police officer is bound to encounter a traumatic experience at some point of their career. Road traffic accidents are common—just look up the stats and see how many take place in a day—and the accidents that occur are often grisly. Kawai had to encounter the worst kind, so it's pretty natural she's shaken up for a week. Some people couldn't even get a hold of themselves their whole lives after witnessing something like that.

That's the thing about (road traffic) accidents, isn't it: it happens to anyone, and shocks the ones who least expect them the most.

I remember when I was in high school, they brought some officers into talk about motor safety. Which burnt into my memory that one of them explained having seen some super messed up consequences of accidents that made them want to get across to us the soul crushing things they have seen, but also not wish to pass on that sort of trauma. It sounds like the very worst part of the job, that by its nature they are going to see the very worst things that could scar someone for life, and that traffic accidents with all sorts of people can be a large part of that.

I remember hearing that the mangaka was an ex police officer, and I wonder if things like this is what pushed them for the change in career.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4