• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KONOSUBA - An Explosion on This Wonderful World! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I like Megumin when she's surrounded by scumbuckets and sleazebags. When it's just her and genuine people, her self-centeredness and lack of moral backbone become more irritating. To wit, I love Megumin when she's surrounded by Kazuma, Darkness, and Aqua. I like her fine when she's surrounded by all the irresponsible drama magnets and loons in the red demon village, or by the Aqua cult. But when it's just her being an @$$wipe to a shy, earnest Yunyun, it's not as endearing IMHO.

BTW - I'm assuming that light coming down was Aqua being dragged down by Kazuma after he chose her as his wish. Kind of cool.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to watch this but the morons over at Crunchy can't provide me (and others) with subtitles. Rolling Eyes
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:25 am Reply with quote
Aqua ex machina.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

I feel like this show really fell off once Megumin left the Crimson Demon village. The village had the school, Megumin's family and all the other goofy Crimson Demons. With all those gone and only Yunyun for Megumin to bounce off of, the comedy factor of the show has severely suffered for it. This latest episode was pretty decent though, largely because it was just kinda cool seeing a bit of the main cast again.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:39 am Reply with quote
This show is evoking some strange emotions in me. Sadness, for one. The reason for that is that I know - thanks to the main story - that Megumin and Yunyun are about to go their separate ways. Given how Yunyun feels about Megumin, I think that's going to be tough on her which bums me out.

And hearing Kazuma and Aqua's voices bums me out too because it reminds me of how much I want to see a continuation of the main series.

Now, even with all that, I'm still enjoying this. Megumin's completely unwarranted arrogance never stops amusing me as does the impact of her explosion magic on other people. Couldn't help but chuckle at some of the weirdos that Yunyun is attracting, too.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:34 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Episode 10 I feel like this show really fell off once Megumin left the Crimson Demon village. The village had the school, Megumin's family and all the other goofy Crimson Demons. With all those gone and only Yunyun for Megumin to bounce off of, the comedy factor of the show has severely suffered for it. This latest episode was pretty decent though, largely because it was just kinda cool seeing a bit of the main cast again.

Yah, I agree that the Crimson Demon village was the highlight of the series thus far (and we're pretty far into it to be talking "thus" at this point). I kind of feel like the author had more that he wanted to do there after the Konosuba movie (which I loved) and and that this was the springboard for the series, I kind of wish the show had stayed in the village and developed the relationship between the village loser and the fortune teller, or spent more time with Megumin and her family, or at the academy. It feels like the anime rushed a bit to get to the point where Konosuba began.

"Pretty decent" is how I feel about the anime as a whole.

The show hasn't really deepened my appreciation of Megumin (who I've always liked and still do) or gotten me to see her in a new light. One tangible thing that the series has accomplished is that I do appreciate YunYun more. In fact...and this might be because I read Blood's post too, but who wants to respond to him Wink I'd even go so far as to say that I'd rather see a YunYun spin-off than a Megumin spinoff at this point.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:27 pm Reply with quote
So, I watched today's next to last episode.

I liked the Aqua and Kazuma backdrops fine, but there's been a lot of them in the last few episodes that didn't bring much new to the party. Though it was worth a smirk seeing how many people couldn't find Aqua because they were looking for a proper arch priestess.

I did enjoy seeing Wiz losing money hand over fist despite her obvious skills and capabilities, if only because it was a fresh callback to the host series.

For me, the highlight was when the priestess of Aqua's order described what she would do if she was an arch priestess footloose and fancy free in Axel. And as she listed things on her itinerary like:

(1) Cheese a free bath off public works
(2) eat cheap frog legs and drink cheap beer
(3) Abuse the Church of Eris.

I thought to myself: Wow, what a devout follower! She really follows the teachings of her deity...
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:52 pm Reply with quote
The thing that had me laugh the most in this episode was the "blink and you'll miss it" moment when you see one of the horned rabbits that Yunyun and Megumin get its horn stuck in a tree!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

I must have blinked because I did miss that, Beltane70 - good catch. For me, the highlight of the episode was Cecily power sniffing Megumin's sheets. Laughing
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
For me, the highlight of the episode was Cecily power sniffing Megumin's sheets. Laughing

Loved when Cecily still took one good final sniff of Megumin's pillow after she was done making her big offer to Megumin.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:03 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 11

I must have blinked because I did miss that, Beltane70 - good catch. For me, the highlight of the episode was Cecily power sniffing Megumin's sheets. Laughing

That’s my weird anime talent, the ability to notice those split-second single-frame images. The first time I spotted something like that was a missile painted to look like a Budweiser can in Macross: Do You Remember Love? on my very first viewing without prior knowledge of what to expect.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:28 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
The thing that had me laugh the most in this episode was the "blink and you'll miss it" moment when you see one of the horned rabbits that Yunyun and Megumin get its horn stuck in a tree!

The thing I noticed during the rabbit encounters was that Megumin snapped off an explosion on the fly, no incantation. That and the fact that her incantations change a lot made me wonder if all the build up was just crimson demon posturing.

On the other hand, it seemed like a smaller explosion than the usual crater bait.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:51 am Reply with quote
Yay, I am up to date with the series again. Still having fun with it, though I do feel like it is time to end it. It is a fun series for what it is and it adds some fun events to the Konosuba story, but I could see another season of this becoming a drag.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:25 pm Reply with quote
My enjoyment of this really fell off as this show went on. There were still some moments of brilliance after the Crimson Village stuff, but largely I'm kinda glad that this show is over. Honestly, I wish I was really excited for the upcoming 3rd season of the main series, but I have a hard time mustering any excitement after this spin-off. The 3rd season is still ways off so I still got time to forget about this one. Rated this Decent.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I can't figure out if being a spin-off hurt or helped this show.

Now that it's done, when I try to judge this show on it's own merits, which is surprisingly hard to do, I reach an internal verdict of "It's alright." When I view the show as a prequel of Konosuba, I feel like somebody served an appetizer as a dessert.

Speaking of season 3, I found myself wondering if that Priestess from Aqua's sect was being foreshadowed as someone who's going to come back then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4