• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Katanagatari DVD/Blu-Ray 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
You mean the total effing troll?

I think he means it as a story that explains the vague comparisons Shichika gave Togame about him and his sister. It was an important plot twist that if you think was a troll effort your reaction to future episodes will probably be disappointment.

I'm not sure if this is what everyone is talking about or not, but I love the fact that they don't spoiler[ show the fight between Shichika and "The Greatest Swordsman" in Japan and instead focus on his sister. ] It reminded me a lot of the twist in the first episode of Ga Rei Zero. I like it when a story pokes fun at an expected trope and surprises me.
Yeah, I was talking about the fact that they spoiler[hyped up ep 4 to be this epic battle between Shichika and Sabu(or Haku, or Sakubei, or w/e the hell his name was) but ended up not even showing it at all.] Despite how much I laughed at it when I realized that it just happened, I think my excitement for that fight dampened my could-be enjoyment for episode 4.

Quote:
Opinions on the ending are split: although a lot of people hate it, I think it was brilliant and I'd consider it one of my absolute favorite anime endings.
Wo-ho-ho, well then. Good to hear something positive about it--makes me not feel so worried. Laughing I rarely have huge problems with show endings that a lot of people do, so I hope I'm on the same boat as you.

NeoFireHawk wrote:

I don't know who are those 'everybody' you speak about, but in my case the reaction I've seen was overwhelmingly good. There were people who even said that they cried while watching the finale, claiming that it was one of the greatest endings they have ever seen in their entire lives.
Well, f**k me sideways--that's a stronger positive reaction than any of the negative reactions I've seen. Exclamation This is all just making me more anxious for the 2nd set to arrive.

And FTR, my everybody=peepz I've seen around on this forum talking about it. Laughing
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Sounds good. OMG!!! I just looked up the retail price for this anime. It's way more expensive than Toradora! with less episodes. Although it's a combo pack, it's still quite pricy even with the usual discounts available online. I think I'll be holding off this title for a while cause I have a lot of pre-orders coming my way soon. Does anyone know of a legal stream?

Last edited by Guren Alchemist4 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
I'm almost 100% certain there isn't one. And IF I'm right, I doubt there ever will be.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Well, I for one was pissed off at spoiler[how the show tried to absolve Hitei of all blame for ordering Togame's death, even going so far as to show Shichika forgiving her and letting her accompany him on his travels. Plus Togame herself, what the hell. She's lying there dying in Shichika's arms and then we get a big long info-dump with her saying how she was going to turn on him and that everything had been a lie. To make matters worse there had been absolutely no hints that she was planning this. You might believe this surprise twist was powerful because it was so sudden, but I thought it was awfully handled. It seemed like the writer pulled Togame's ending out of his arse rather than going to lengths to carefully build it up and make it fit into the established framework of the story.] The ending pissed me off so much that I am surprised I rated the show as high as I did.

There are hints that spoiler[Togame hides something. In the first episode this Maniwa guy said if they knew what kind of person she really is, they wouldn't want to work with her, or words to that effect. There are also hints when they talk with Rinne Higaki.]

Togame is a secretive, ambitious and spoiler[vengeance-driven woman. Hitei doesn't really appear to be that much worse compared to her. I think that Shichika has nothing against Hitei, because it's not her fault that Togame wasted her life in order to seek pointless vengeance.]

This also one of the reasons why I like this show. This type of person is never a romantic interest of the main hero in shounens. The character who wants to spoiler[kill the main hero is usually a villain. And Togame is both is a love interest and a villain that fails.]

I agree with swienke. The ending is brilliant.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:
Sounds good. OMG!!! I just looked up the retail price for this anime. It's way more expensive than Toradora! with less episodes. Although it's a combo pack, it's still quite pricy even with the usual discounts available online. I think I'll be holding off this title for a while cause I have a lot of pre-orders coming my way soon. Does anyone know of a legal stream?
The episodes are double length, so the runtime comes out about the same.

I thought the ending was great, personally.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Another ending liker here. One of the things I'm interested in seeing is if some things that weren't terribly clear to me in the fansub will be more understandable in NISA's official release. I suspect that some things will make more sense in the light of a decent translation. NISA did an awesome job with Our Home's Fox Deity which was a comedic series filled with very particular Japanisms, so I am hoping for the same with Katanagatari.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Another ending liker here. One of the things I'm interested in seeing is if some things that weren't terribly clear to me in the fansub will be more understandable in NISA's official release. I suspect that some things will make more sense in the light of a decent translation. NISA did an awesome job with Our Home's Fox Deity which was a comedic series filled with very particular Japanisms, so I am hoping for the same with Katanagatari.
Part of the included artbook has a really detailed glossary that should help.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:

Embarassed I missed that. Thanks.

Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
I'm almost 100% certain there isn't one. And IF I'm right, I doubt there ever will be.

Yeah, I looked everywhere but couldn't find one. It would help promote the show if they allowed one of the legal sites to stream it given the unusual art style which might cause some people to overlook the show like I did in the past. Since it's licensed, the other methods are not an option for me any longer, so I guess this will be a title for the future for me.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Katanagatari's biggest attribute is just that while it takes a very cliche plotline, it's DIFFERENT-- highly abnormal art style, an animation that reads like a novel, very unusual characters. Ep 4 (and some later ones, and the ending) just push this forward. I think at this point you can't even call Katanagatari good or bad-- it's just polarizing. If it's not your kind of "different," you'll hate it, but it is, you'll love it.

I'm personally think it's one of the best subversions of a cliche plotline I've seen in anime-- maybe not as far as Evangelion, but certainly farther than Madoka. Good old Nisioisin, so seems to thrive on just being WEIRD at whatever opportunity.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:16 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
spoiler[if the girl who had servant-killer wanted to kill the feudal lord, then she could do it right from the beginning... there was nothing what could potentially tamper with the execution of her vengeance...]

Katanagatari.

spoiler[the feudal lord was a plain mortal and the princess could have her vengeance immediately any time she would want it... she had the assassin guy as her servant in any time...
(obviously, I am not talking about main heroine and the guy-sword... this is different pair)]
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Guren Alchemist4 wrote:

the ending might be great, but it ruined sense in the story...spoiler[it is exposed motives and actions of light-coloured hair princess, which turned to be nonsense... see my post above... ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3