• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aluria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
belisarius wrote:
They could have cast Peewee Herman and the zombified corpse of Tiny Tim to do everyone in the show for all I care. Avast me hearties, set sail for the sub-titles!

lol, I couldn't agree with you more^^ Sub-titles for the win!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
8daze wrote:
Not that I don't have faith in Wendee Lee's talent, I just don't see her voice as fitting the character nearly as well. I'm glad that Wahlgren's still in the cast but...a tad disappointed that she won't be doing Haruhi.

Wow, was Wahlgren in the poll as Haruhi? I too think that she's the best available English talent for Haruhi, judging by her performance as Haruko from FLCL and Pacifica from Scrapped Princess, so why she was not chosen though she got the most votes Confused
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

You take this stuff way, way, way, way too seriously.

A signature worthy quotation.

kid_gloves wrote:

its really just an excuse for him not to pay for something he watched.

An excuse to who? If I were really only intending to watch fansubs and never touch the R1, would I have said anything at all? Why put in the effort of following every asosbrigade.com update, expressing facination/excitement at the marketing campaign as well as support for countless hours? Granted, I enjoyed doing that but I could have used my limited time more productively; to invest all that effort for some silly justification for watching fansubs is a silly proposal.

kid_gloves wrote:

into long pseudo-intellectual rants using theories they learned in psychology and sociology 101 to give themselves and excuse not to buy it.

I'd have pseudo-intelligence rather than no intelligence, thank you very much. And it's Economics 110. Razz

PantsGoblin wrote:

You honestly sound like you're far more than just "disappointed" here. You sound like you're ready to rip someone's head off because of this.

Does it really sound like that? Heh, while I did attempt to convey frustration, don't get me wrong, I'm not really angry, just annoyed.

PantsGoblin wrote:

I suppose I'll ask this again; is it really that bad?

I'll repeat myself, then; no, we'll have a fantastic dub. The problem is, it'll be a boring dub too.

penguintruth wrote:

Wendee Lee was in second place as Haruhi. Johnny Yong Bosch was the favorite for Itsuki. Crispin Freeman was the favorite for Kyon. I don't remember Yuki or Mikuru's polls that well.

Ironically, I don't remember Haruhi, Itsuki, or Kyon's polls that well. I'll trust your judgement on this one; I was mistaken.

Delphina wrote:

Surprise? If you've really been following anime dubs since the early nineties, surprise shouldn't be on that list. What made you think that this dub would be any different than the rest? Dub studios don't care if a story is good, or work to think of how best to represent the stories they tell artistically. They just shove Michelle Ruff and Crispin Freeman into the roles over and over again and hope they can pull it off.

That I know well, but given how...unusual Haruhi was, I was really convinced Bandai/BZE would be taking more risks with the production. I mean, they've already done that with the marketing campaign; rather than try to appeal to a general audience, they're aiming right for the internet folk, which is dangerous; look at what happened with Snakes on a Plane! Licensing Haruhi would be the equivalent of lifting a land-mine to get at Gold Roger's treasure; there's a risk that the mine could explode, but there's potentially great reward if it doesn't.

I know Bandai USA is not in the best economic situation right now, given how they've been shamelessly trying to promote that god awful Gundam Seed Destiny, but if they're going to take a gamble they shouldn't take an even bigger risk by trying to back out three steps in.

Delphina wrote:

It's really no different than if every movie Hollywood ever put out starred Tom Hanks, Jim Carrey, Angela Landsbury and Drew Barrymore for a nonstop span of 15 years. Even if they're good/versatile actors and you enjoy them, you've seen it thousands of times.

Well, one could argue Tom Hanks to be a very versatile actor, which we can't really attribute to Haruhi's cast; Drew Barrymore and Jim Carrey are typecasted as "the nice girl" and "the eccentric funny man", respectively; when people get sick of them, they stop watching their movies, which is why those two haven't had a ton of work as of late. Even with Carrey extending his bounds, like...ehh, that one movie where he was a lawyer or such and lost his memory. Ahh, The Majestic; anyway, even then, when people think of him, they don't think of a serious role, but rather, his comedic 'aire'.

This is the "imprinting" phenomenon I mentioned earlier.

bennyb wrote:

...Maybe I'll try watcing the dub of this show and see if I like it better, I'm one of the people on the "melancholy of the overrated" train, but if the english dub is equally good (which it looks to be) I may have to see this for meself.

Interesting words from a dub basher.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh joy... overused actors. Guess it shouldn't surprise me. Just another reason I'll never watch dubs of my own free will.
8daze

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
8daze wrote:
Not that I don't have faith in Wendee Lee's talent, I just don't see her voice as fitting the character nearly as well. I'm glad that Wahlgren's still in the cast but...a tad disappointed that she won't be doing Haruhi.

Wow, was Wahlgren in the poll as Haruhi?

Uh-huh. Won with a pretty good percentage, too, if I remember correctly. Lee was second or third.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
What happened to the Pink Space Ranger? Anime cry
frouella

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
When I read this announcement, my first reaction was, "Is this a joke?" Not because the VAs are bad or anything, but just because it looked like someone had gone and picked a handful of the most ubiquitous voice actors in the business and stuck them in the roles. I mean, I've heard of every single one of these VAs, and I don't even watch dubs, usually. I can't tell if Bandai was trying to go the safe route with an "all-star cast" kind of thing, or if this is their attempt to cater to the anime-insider vote by going with fan faves.

I really don't have a problem with any of the VAs themselves (and I haven't heard the finished product yet, so I can't judge preemptively), but isn't the fact that their voices are so well know a problem? For example, I love Wendee Lee to death, but she still always sounds like Wendee Lee -- and I don't know if I'm going to be able to reconcile her voice with Haruhi in my head. Same for Crispin Freeman. Their voices are good, but I don't know if I could call them versatile. Or emotive, really, but that's another story...

In any event, I will try to keep an open mind until I hear the dub. If I find I don't like it, I know I like the sub!
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Cool, this seems to be a good dub decision. All of the voice actors are very capable and I think it will come out well. I knew Sheh would be Mikuru, she's perfect for the role. I'm not sure how Wendee Lee will turn, I loved her as T.K in Digimon and Faye in Cowboy Bebop, though. She also plays Tatsuki in Bleach. I think she can pull this off.
On the other hand, it makes me sad that people are bashing the dub. Yes, they are overused, but they're great so no wonder they get a lot of voice acting jobs. If every "overused" voice actor shouldn't be used anymore, say goodbye to veterans like Megumi Hayashibara!
Also, though slightly off-topic, I find it sad that dub-bashers can blindly bash dubs in general. Give them a chance! I grew up on dubs as a child, and these dubs fostered my love for anime and opened up my world to one of my primary interests.
A lot of you were introduced to anime by dubs, so why bash them when you probably wouldn't have liked anime without goddamn dubs like Pokemon and Samurai Pizza Cats and what not? In no way are subs bad, but c'mon, are anime dubs really that bad? (Okay, most 4kids dubs are really that bad, but they're excluded).
Darrenm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Ugh....I was kind of hoping for some new talent here instead of the same voice actors we've been hearing for the last decade.

Not that they're bad, but I'm especially sick of hearing Crispin Freeman, Johnny Yong Bosch (along with his billion alter-egos), and Wendee Lee in EVERYTHING.

I'll still buy the DVDs as they come out, but I think I'll be sticking to the original Japanese.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
mmmmm.....Wendee Lee as Haruhi? I don't know, that Sounds like a good choice, I guess

I mean, I liked her Role as Blackrose in the .Hack games and she did an awsome voice of Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop, but i'm not sure How she'll pull off Haruhi.

my guess is, she might use the same voice/or simalar voice like Blackrose,but how will she pull off singing "God Knows"?

Wendee Lee also did the voice of Iczer One in Fight! Iczer-One.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:

On the other hand, it makes me sad that people are bashing the dub. Yes, they are overused, but they're great so no wonder they get a lot of voice acting jobs. If every "overused" voice actor shouldn't be used anymore, say goodbye to veterans like Megumi Hayashibara!

Firstly, Hayashibara is a very versatile actor. Secondly, the market pool for seiyu is enormus in comparison to those for voice actors in the United States. Thirdly, while actors might be "great", that doesn't mean people don't grow bored with them; because the market pool is so small for actors, and that anime companies are acting somewhat oligopolistic, we're forced to hear them in a huge number of shows. This become a turn-off to anime in general, which I'm sure no company wants to cause.

CloverKuroba wrote:

Also, though slightly off-topic, I find it sad that dub-bashers can blindly bash dubs in general. Give them a chance! I grew up on dubs as a child, and these dubs fostered my love for anime and opened up my world to one of my primary interests.

It's not a case of "blindly" bashing a dub, since I'm the same as you, perhaps more experienced since I used to watch anime in Japanese on the "International Channel" alongside dubs way back in '94, '95, '96, and '97. I respect voice actors since they're in a business with relatively low job security, but it's frustrating to see only a select group of people get jobs while everyone else has to struggle to get employed. The demise of 4Kids Entertainment as a 'lead' anime company and the dying Central Park Media have effectively killed New York as a source for quality, ranged voice actors; people were cheering when 4Kids gave up One Piece, but kept thinking to myself, how many people have now lost a job?

Rising stars like Liam O'Brien and Dave Wittenberg, who are versatile AND strong actors, are getting stifled because they've yet to become one of these "voice acting elites".

CloverKuroba wrote:

(Okay, most 4kids dubs are really that bad, but they're excluded).

Wow, what a way to totally undermine your whole argument; and all this time, I thought you and I could see eye to eye.

4Kids is JUST as guilty as BZE is of reusing the same voice actors, but most of the shows the license aren't exactly unique or interesting, but cheap and generic shows that get refitted with a fresh script and new music. Until One Piece came along, those were entertaining shows, and the actors weren't nearly as famous as fellows like Lee, Bosch, or Freeman. Heck, one of my friends only recently admitted that, after five years of watching Yu-Gi-Oh!, he just noticed Kaiba and Brock were voiced by the same person.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Delphina wrote:
Dub studios don't care if a story is good, or work to think of how best to represent the stories they tell artistically. They just shove Michelle Ruff and Crispin Freeman into the roles over and over again and hope they can pull it off.

Yeah I'm sure you've done extensive research and spoken with plenty of dub directors and voice actors and then came to this conclusion, right?

Or is this just a bunch of lazy, insulting, cynical pabulum you like to spout so you can appear enlightened on the issue, even though you don't actually know whether or not this is the case?

I suspect it's the latter!
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I like these VA's, but I do agree with a lot of of your cocerns about the overuse of them. However, most of these are who I voted for in the polls... Michelle Ruff as Yuki, Stephanie Sheh as Mikuru, and Wendee Lee as Haruhi. Bosch was my second choice of Itsuki, and I never got to hear Kyon's. T.T (Link never worked when I clicked it) But I'm happy with this.

(Random) Behold the awesome Wendee Lee character that is Dorothy!
<------

...Sorry. *cough*
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Malinex Terek: You put up some good points, in an egotistical manner that I have come to know as your style of posting. No offense though.
The reason I put 4kids in my argument was because I was expecting a kind of rebuttal like "Good dubs? Have you watched ___(4kids product)"
I loved Pokemon as a child, despite it's various flaws. I still find it today to be the best 4kids production. Especially, in the beginning, where it didn't edit so much and skewer things around, where the score was kept intact. The scripts didn't sound so cheesy or talking down to you. Plus, it didn't always have to rely on the same group of voice actor pulling different facades.

I think overusing VA's is a problem. But you'll have to deal with it. There are only so many VA's in this industry, and since it's a trend to have some voice actors work in these companies and not others (like JYB working for Bandai and Geneon and Viz primarily, while you'll only see Luci Christian in ADV and Funimation products). I think that it's different in Japan then here where seiyuu's are celebrities somewhat. I think mixing VA's and having some regular VA's that work in regular cartoon make a foray into anime (like Tom Kenny, Tara Strong, Billy West etc...) would be pretty cool to see. It's probably impossible but I would like to see it happen one day.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Leaving Malintex Terek beside, I think it's a nice bunch to bring together, but I really can't say anything for sure since I usually don't watch English 90% of the time anyway. If I hear nice things about it though, I tend to check out the English dub first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7