• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
English speaking characters in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
Rozzer wrote:
In the anime Beck there were a couple of American guys speaking English in the Japanese sub. Although I cannot remember if they put any Japanese subtitles for them since it's been awhile since I've watched the series. Also the character Ryusuke Minami, who happens to be Japanese, did have quite a few English speaking parts. And as mentioned above, Samurai Champloo did have English speaking parts during the Baseball episode, which I thought was hilarious.

yeah there were japanese subtitles.. Just started watching beck, and I have to say their english is pretty good there..

I also notice that in most animes where the main characters are still in school there are scenes where they speak in english for a class - maybe for an english clash, like the one in R.O.D the TV where Anita was told to read some sentences and in Yu Yu Hakusho, in which Keiko was faced with the same situation.. There are also instances in which the terms can be too technical and difficult to translate into Japanese, like in Yakitate! Japan.. Kanmuri actually speaks in a good neutral accent Laughing

Haha, BECK's English with Japanese subs were the greatest. The English was outright, unintentially halarious. Like that black guy in the helicopter in one of the last episodes, he's like -

*pulls out a gun* "I'll shoot you if I have to."

And then like 10 seconds later -

*pulls out a rubix cube* "How do these motha fuckaz do this shit."

That was just great, especially since Japanese people were saying it in English.
archangelunder7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
what about blood the last vampire? it's probably one of the only shows i have seen where american's speak english and japanese speak japanese. and the main characters, often speak both.
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Personally I've always understood that we should get the general idea of what langauge the characters are "supposed" to be speaking in from what we hear. However, this sometimes gets confusing, like in Monster. In Monster we are to assume for the most part, they are speaking German. However, when someone starts to "speak" English, Japanese, or Russian, unless they give us a context clue, we are quiet clueless as to what is going on.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
THOUGH, there was one sequence in Monster where Czech was used to brilliantly convey suspense...

That was goddamn genius.

THOUGH, I'm not sure whether it was good Czech or not... or even if it was good acting...

Heck, I don't even actually know if it was Czech.

But still: genius.

ANYWAY, I undestand the whole notion of "context clues" as well...

I mean, Kaleido Star is set in the US... so, you know (though, I do watch the dub... but if you watch it in Japanese, you're to assume that everyone speaks in English, obviously)

Jedi General: I think I heard that Girl meets Girl isn't getting a dub over at animeondvd.com...

Yeah... MB is kinda taking that approach with its shows now given that they don't seem to be confident that they'll sell (though, you'd think that a show about lesbians *technically* would be an easy sell...)
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
On Genshiken 2, Ohno and Angela only speak in English with each other (Japanese subtitles are available). The problem is that Angela Burton, Ohno's American friend, has a heavy Japanese accent.

I was wondering if any one who is fluent in French and has seen Gankutsuou would mind telling if the narrator has an identifiable accent. I can't tell since je ne parle pas français. Subtitles also available.

Accent may seem a trivial aspect but it definitely adds depth to the characters. On Nick Park's Creature Comforts, a lion longing for his jungle days becomes incredibly vivid when you notice that he has a Brazilian accent.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
On Genshiken 2, Ohno and Angela only speak in English with each other (Japanese subtitles are available). The problem is that Angela Burton, Ohno's American friend, has a heavy Japanese accent.

Yuki Kaida is one of the few Japanese seiyū who can speak English with relatively little accent; I've talked with her in person in English. She can even mimic the American accent of Japanese by emphasizing the curled tongue of letter R in "Madarame." At least she has done it much better than Ayako Kawasumi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
I just watched Video Girl Ai last night and noticed that part (I think they were at the movies and it was the movie they were seeing) was in english with japanese subs for it. It is much more common to find simple english without the japanese subs than with it, so I remember it sticking out.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
rti9 wrote:

Yuki Kaida is one of the few Japanese seiyū who can speak English with relatively little accent; I've talked with her in person in English. She can even mimic the American accent of Japanese by emphasizing the curled tongue of letter R in "Madarame." At least she has done it much better than Ayako Kawasumi.

Then perhaps she wasn't doing it in this series. The English sounded stilted and it sounded that the VA's were having a really hard time speaking that way.
demonroach

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the real reason is that most japanese script writers and voice actors are horrible at english. Razz
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
One of my personal favorites is in Nodame Cantibile. When Chiaki begins to talk to Stresemann(a german symphony conductor), a small message pops up something to the effect of "This scene is spoken with german but is being redone in japanese [for the audience]". It seems like they mentioned the viewers but I can't remember exactly.

It was humorous but realistic in the sense of, what else could you do? Like speaking engrish in dubbed anime, there doesn't seem to be any good way to do it. The company just has to muddle along and hope the viewer will get the jokes/scene even when everyone is usually speaking english.

And, it's been a long time but, in ROD TV, doesn't the younger sister speak japanese in an english class or something? As in, the dub does the opposite of what the original japanese track did?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
The Voice actor for Madoka in the Kimagure Orange Road OVA spoke surprisingly good English as did the punks in Hawaii she was talking to.

Black Lagoon put English through a woodchipper most of time when it was spoken. (Rock's Spanish translation was off too). Also in Gantz the English cursing got really annoying since it sounded awkward, offen with the wrong words for the wrong type of situation. They didn't have the "art" down. Very Happy
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:27 am Reply with quote
I think a lot could be learned by the way 'Allo 'Allo dealt with languages, excepting the fact that you can't really speak Japanese with an English accent the same way you can speak English with a French accent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Twilight's Chapter 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
I don't think anybody's mentioned Neon Genesis Evangelion. Asuka spoke German in her introduction episode with a funny accent. It's like me trying to read an article of french.
retty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
I do prefer it when they actually speak English rather than passing over the issue and just having everyone speak Japanese. Tis always funny to wonder if they think they're doing a realistic accent.

The most annoying non-right accent ever is Negi in the Negima dub. He's meant to be from Wales, yet he sounds like Tiny Tim. I think it's poor form of the studio to miss what is possibly the only chance ever to do a Welsh accent in anime, it would have been hilarious.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
retty wrote:
I do prefer it when they actually speak English rather than passing over the issue and just having everyone speak Japanese. Tis always funny to wonder if they think they're doing a realistic accent.

The most annoying non-right accent ever is Negi in the Negima dub. He's meant to be from Wales, yet he sounds like Tiny Tim. I think it's poor form of the studio to miss what is possibly the only chance ever to do a Welsh accent in anime, it would have been hilarious.

God...it's so bad that is about the only series that I refuse to watch in the English dub, simply because the Japanese one does away with his voice. Only Shinji in English has ever made me flat out refuse the English dub before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4