• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stupidman007

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Good guys don't always prevail. Ever watch the movie Swordfish? spoiler[John Travolta's character didn't actually die] so honestly the good guy didn't completely win. That may not be an anime but they could take that approach and surprise you at the end. Maybe Sousou will kill them all and rule the world with murderous abandon Wink

Swordfish is actually one of my favorite movies ever. I don't think that is a strong comparison in this case, because the good guy - Stan, ended up getting what he wanted. Also, from multiple perspectives, I don't think Travolta's character was a clearcut bad guy.

What I'm saying isn't that the bad guy always dies, rather that the good guys don't die.

Facade19 wrote:
Personally I am on episode 4 and so far the anime has been very entertaining, though also very, hmm, what word would suit here...esoteric.
So we have Dynasty Warriors gone to high school, where it happens to be that every female is big breasted and dress skimpy. Now now, I know people will shout and protest that is only an anime show and therefore cannot/ (should not) resemble reality. I think however that the shows serious points (and to me there are quite a few) are being negated by the constant mockery of its comedy.
Maybe that is exactly what viewers wish to encounter, but yet while I cannot help to be entertained during the viewing(s), the taste of utter confusion leaves me buffled at times afterwards.

However I will still continue on, since Dragon Destiny is addictive.

haha, I completely agree with you there. The show's not going to get very high ratings, nor is it going to be discussed for anything positive. But if you watch it for simply entertainment purposes, it's extremely entertaining and addictive. Of course, thats only the second season, whereas the first season lacked entertainment along with everything else.
undeadben

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 - behind again.

Whew. Things are getting tense. Plots are being revealed, little sage girl is showing her colors, not those of the breast lover she showed when first introduced, and we discover one of the major turning points early on was actually her doing. Hakufu is spoiler[presumed dead, although mama is willing to wait and hope], Setou is asking Nanyo for a union. Motoku is spoiler[losing to the beast within and even goes after Genjou at the end, possibly big death #2 ] And when they are down to minimal panty shots, maybe only 15 to 20, you know something's about to go down.

So with the tense mood and stuff starting to spill from the woodworks I have a big problem here. Despite all that, nothing really seems like it moved forward a whole lot. Don't get me wrong this is another episode that actually had me watching really attentively, but I'm waiting for something huge. But then again, I'm probably just being impatient. This is why I don't like following a lot of shows week to week, I like just starting a series and being able to get to the end quickly if I want to.

In any case, as I have said all along, if all the set up and rising action actually follows through accordingly in the following climactic episodes this series will definitely turn out to be one to watch for more than just the fanservice. Three episodes to go and all hell about to break loose, anyone else still watching?
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
Episodes 10-12

Right so we last left off at things were heading things were getting tense and it was getting bleak. And then suddenly we have ideas being formed people choosing to take action and spoiler[Hakufu, the fallen warrior, is finally revealed to still be alive, and has been taken in by an eerie fellow who seems to be training Hakufu for the upcoming events. Although Hakufu isn’t really there it’s like the lights are on but nobody is home, or at least not the rightful owner. Hakufu’s dragon was awake and sort of doing the training on his own. This part bothered me somewhat because how could you awaken someone’s soul when you are not even trying to deal with that person directly]. Surprisingly though it is one of the few times IT: DD really just tosses one out of nowhere, sure sometimes it has slowed to a crawl or not even moved forward but up to this the story has been pretty tight. spoiler[However the continuation of the training part through the end when Hakufu discovers herself and decides to finally come back] was done pretty good and sort of saved that near blunder.

And more surprisingly than anything is that wasn’t even part of the main storyline. This show is still Ryuubi’s and her band. Plans were made, sides were taken alliances were formed and then we hit the final battle. The ensuing battle to come somehow paled in comparison to some of the earlier fight sequences during the series which was a bit disappointing; however it was still pretty good. Lots of big explosions, energy blasts, spoiler[and dragons flying around,] and the action was still a bit flat, so that was weird. However the lead up to it with the intrigue and set up was well worth the watch.

Overall I’d say I did enjoy the show and I wouldn’t mind sitting down and watching it all through again. I never liked Ryuubi as a character too much and the fact that she was the main character in this somewhat took a lot away from what I thought was a good story, but it wasn’t nearly enough to ruin it for me. And yes there is still plenty of fanservice right up to the very end but the story was enough to ensure this series is not just about the pantyshots. Sure, there is still plenty available for the panty fetishists out there, but I think someone can enjoy this show even if they are not just watching it for the boobs and camel toes.

Sorry, I kept it short, but I wanted to finally post on it. Anyone else have any ending thoughts?

Last edited by undeadben on Tue May 29, 2007 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I liked it overall it was highly entertaining and at points, dramatic. I didn't really like how they handled spoiler[Ukitsu's death though, ] I would rather have seen the fight rather than just the aftermath. I especially liked in DD that the secondary Nanyo characters weren't as useless as they were in the first series. In Dragon Destiny they actually improved some, especially Gakshue and Kokein, and instead of getting the crap kicked out of them they were able whoop some a**.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3