• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Afro Samurai or Haruhi Suzumiya?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I saw all of Afro and Haruhi is another hype machine. Neither, but if the Afro DC's have a lot of extra, I might change my tune.

Not watching Haruhi.

SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:
God Gundam wrote:
Afro Samurai was horrible. GONZO wasted their money animating it.

Uh, no they didn't. Afro Samurai was a fun, "turn off your brain" type show. Which is fine to have every now and then. Anyone expecting a deep plot in only five episodes is only kidding themselves. Was the plot thin? Yes. Was it "style over substance?" I guess so. But damn if it wasn't a fun ride. And it's clear other people enjoyed it too considering it was averaging 700,000 18-34 viewers when it was on. Even Spike TV was shocked.

Yes kids, anime CAN get good ratings. If you give guys what they want from it. I remember reading about the series high around 1.1 million viewers it got and was stunned, since those are generally Daily Show numbers. (To be fair, it was following both a UFC fight card and the premiere of Pros vs. Joes)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
bakaShin wrote:
Is Bandai pressuring ANN to poll and gather interest for this series or is just slow news days for anime? there have been a lot of exposure to this title and topic after topic about MoHS, it seems Bandai is still unsure that this will be the smash hit when it is released.

No, Bandai is unrelated to these polls.

ANN has an ulterior motive for this poll in particular, this motive will be made clear in a few months.

-t
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
ANN has an ulterior motive for this poll in particular, this motive will be made clear in a few months.

Now, y'see? I was just about to ask what the catalyst for this poll was, but it looks like it's been answered.

Wait. No, it hasn't. It's "going" to be answered... in a few months, anyway. Can't begin to guess what for.
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

-t

Hmm... both of these series come out on DVD in late May...
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I like both show, but I haven't the money for neither, considering they're far from being part of my priorities list. So yeah, neither.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

-t

As if this "ulterior motive" is really all that tough to work out; you'll hold some sort of contest with a set of limited edition Haruhi/Afro Samurai DVDs as the grand prize, depending on the outcome of this poll.

Although I really have no intention of purchasing anime at this time (beyond FSN, of course), I voted Afro Samurai for two reasons; the first is that it's innovative among anime titles for appearing in America first, dubbed, and the second is that it's gotten air-time on another network outside of Cartoon Network. I'd say that's a step toward anime getting individual recognition in main-stream media culture.
MasterYeshua

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Okay people, we almost all agree that Afro Samurai is not good. And we'd rather purchase Haruhi. But as much as I dislike Afro Samurai, I can still appreciate the potential this type of show has to attract a new audience to anime. Let's face it, Afro Samurai will attract a greater audience to anime than Haruhi ever could.

Last edited by MasterYeshua on Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
MasterYeshua

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Trek wrote:
tempest wrote:

-t

As if this "ulterior motive" is really all that tough to work out; you'll hold some sort of contest with a set of limited edition Haruhi/Afro Samurai DVDs as the grand prize, depending on the outcome of this poll.

Although I really have no intention of purchasing anime at this time (beyond FSN, of course), I voted Afro Samurai for two reasons; the first is that it's innovative among anime titles for appearing in America first, dubbed, and the second is that it's gotten air-time on another network outside of Cartoon Network. I'd say that's a step toward anime getting individual recognition in main-stream media culture.

My thoughts exactly. This industry needs more shows like Afro Samurai. Especially ones that can be successful outside of Adult swim and Toonami. Now if only Spike would air higher quality anime with the same style as Afro Samurai; Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Gungrave, Hellsing....
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
A-ha, a-ha, a-ha. What a funny little poll.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi for me! Smile With that price, no way I could buy both. Laughing
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

BZZZZZZT *WRONG*
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Although I really have no intention of purchasing anime at this time (beyond FSN, of course), I voted Afro Samurai

Okay, so you have no intention or purchasing it, yet you said you would when a poll asked if you would...

Gee, thanks...

The question asked, "Which Of these DVDs do you plan to buy?" Not, "Which of these is a step in the right direction?" "Which of these excites you the most?" or "Which of these do you wish to support?"

Of well, it's accepted that at least some people will lie when answering a poll.... Which is part of the reason why they're never 100% accurate.

-t
NGE1113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Eh, Haruhi was already a given for me. I don't get Spike down here, so I haven't been able to watch Afro Samurai. I like to have seen an episode of something before I buy it, so it's not on my to-buy list.
Mephistophilus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Of well, it's accepted that at least some people will lie when answering a poll.... Which is part of the reason why they're never 100% accurate.

-t

Unless it's a political Gallup poll. Those are completely accurate. Wait, what?

I thought my choice was obvious, as I've already preordered Haruhi... I suppose that makes me a victim of the hype, but I enjoyed the show and I think it deserves support.

I thought Afro Samurai was kind of cool, but not worth a buy, and not especially well done. Seemed that even for 5 episodes the story was kind of thin, and some of the show just wasn't believable. Good step, but not a giant leap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5