• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Claymore (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:12 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:

I really need to get into this fansub thing a lot more given that waiting for R1 releases takes too damn long.

Welcome to the brotherhood, my friend! Twisted Evil We'll initiate you latter.Laughing

Anyways, my opinion of the first episode is that it was really quite good. Not nesesserally the best episode ever, but that's just fine seeing as how this is the introductory stage of the series. Animation was great, although not nearly as great as in the manga or as great as the animation in Death Note, but still very very good. I especially loved the animation they used to show Clare and her silver eyes, and especially when her eyes went gold. They made it look very cool. The music had it's great moments, but in the action sequences, I was pretty disappointed with their usage of your typical battle sequence-styled music from practically every other shonen series out there. I was kind of hoping it would be more special than that. I really liked both the OP and the ED, but I think I definitely agree that the ED was better.

All in all, I think the anime is really looking great. This is a very good adaptation of the manga, and can't to see further episodes!
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I've literally been waiting to see Black Lagoon ever since it was first announced... and, while I have managed to come this far (release date is finally next month), I don't wanna be doing this waiting BS again this year.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading at least one chapter from this manga from one of my [[shounen jump]] magazines, I was reading Shaman King one day and I caught a chapter preview from this manga and the artwork look gorgiouse and interesting, and so I got hooked, and now I'm defentilly wanna check out the anime version for my self because this one looks like a winner.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Having fallen in love with the manga after reading just the first chapter preview in a Shonen Jump, I'm a bit disappointed with the first episode of the anime. It's an amalgam of the first and third chapters, it's very rushed, and personally speaking I think it changes the dynamic between Clare and Raki. spoiler[I really don't like that they took out Raki telling Clare that she was better looking than the normal girls in the village. I was kind of looking forward to that scene because it was sweet. Also, the way they spliced the two chapters, it's like Raki only wants to know Clare's name because they'll be traveling together, not because he actually wanted to know.] (Probably don't actually need spoiler tags here but just in case.

Seriously, am I the only person who thought that it was too bloody fast? The fight with the first yoma in the manga is spoiler[drawn out with it trying to fight Clare and getting surprised over and over by how strong and fast she is. Then it's begging her for it's life for a while before she destroys the thing.] I'm not saying this is a bad adaption, but based on the episode titles listed in the encyclopedia and the nature of this first episode, we're going to have four, maybe five episodes with Clare before switching to Theresa. Not a lot of time for non-manga fans to get into the characters.

Also, if all the fights are going to be done in such a fast way, how exactly are they going to handle the fact that Clare's spoiler[actually very weak compared to other Claymores]? I mean, crap, the fighting in this first episode was "blink and you'll miss it."

And they skipped the Claws in the Sky chapter which featured some great yoma slaying on Clare's part. Are they cutting out spoiler[Clare's "handler" guy from the organization] or what? Maybe they're going to merge it with the Black Card chapter but that doesn't seem right given the preview. At least they might devote a whole episode to this chapter, although it's pretty melancholy for the second episode. (Had I been handling this series, the first chapter would have been one episode, possibly two, chapters 2 & 3 would have been merged for one episode, and then the Black Card would be number 3 or 4.)

If they handle the first real arc like they handled the first episode, the fights will not be nearly as enjoyable as they could be. Well, at least that's my opinion and I don't claim to be any more worthy of being listened to than anyone else.

I'm going to follow for a bit but if it doesn't slow down a tad so I can savor the story, the characters, and the demon fighting, I'm going to have serious reservations about buying it when it's licensed.

omar235 wrote:
I hear from a few people on here that it is good and they love the manga and can't wait for it...I will have to see this I suppose. Razz
You should check the anime out, despite my slight rant above. If you like what you see then you might want to pick up the manga. If nothing else, this is a story that evolves as you go along from what at first seems like standard shonen to something surprisingly complex and quite brutal while also being very emotional.

I highly recommend the manga, though I'm only me.

Also, I apologize for going so heavy on spoiler tags. I'm paranoid about them. Also apologize for the length.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Claymore the anime.....my thoughts on the much anticipated first episode.

As always Spoilers through first episode
spoiler[Opening theme song, very standard Japanese Pop.....not really my thing, but the animations did have some sweet sports like the sunset. At the start of the episode did anyone else see a patriot act with that hysteria brought on by the monsters....it really feels like our country currently. The Half demon (Yoma in this case) half human is really something that's done way too much for our heroes, well I rather have the main character have that then mysterious memory loss, that basically makes it so the character have no personality.

Wow what a jack up episode poor kids been living with monster that killed his entire family....and has been waiting for his time to eat his brother. Got to love that blue blood, reminds me of RahXephon along with Blood the last Vampire, I've got some high hope for this show. The real challenge is will having this kid follow the claymore be interesting or will he becoming one of those annoying sidekids.....I don't think it will come to that but who knows. When I first saw the hostage situation I thought it was going to be another Helling, where are hero turns the protagonist into a Claymore.

For some reason I really like the ending, I like the red leaves blowing in the wind, and I also really like the music with it's traditional feel at first and how it builds into this song with a great beat....I am digging this show.
]

Overall a very interesting episode that I think has some great promise, considering Madhouse's body of work and the quality they been doing recently I guess I wouldn't be that surprised.

Last edited by Deltakiral on Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
omar235

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I really found the first episode pretty good despite things running so quick. I think they were trying to get the feel that the Claymore's are that powerful, I would imagine that maybe some more powerful Yoma will pop up, or the Yoma becoming more powerful will occur to show the gap of power between Clare and the other Claymore's. I liked the music for similar reasons as Delta...I have to admit this is a pretty good start from what I have seen.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:30 am Reply with quote
Ok, Just finished watching the first episode,and so far i'm impressed,sure the first episodes tend to be impressive like any standord Shounen anime to set up the main plot,but this one on the other hand amazed me,best graphic violent anime i've seen so far, now here are my views on this

spoiler[The female Half Yoma,Half Human Claymore with the silver eyes is sure freaky when she turns here eyes yellow in battle,but good thing she's the main character Smile , and sadly I feel sorry for Poor[ Raki that he lost his parents, and eventually his older brother and his grandfather to thar Yoma]

spoiler[and that Fight scene near the end of the episode in the forest scared the crap out of me when the heroine claymore got peirced in the stomatch by that Female Yoda, Blue Gender and Gantz were graphic enough for me to give me the willies,but this one takes the cake,and I love it..]

overall, this is becoming my new fav anime along with El Cazador this year, I'm looking forward to the next episode, I wonder how many episodes this series will have anyway? At first, I thought this was just gonna be another dumb clitched Naruto,Bleach or Inuyasha, but for once, based on it's Gantz-like Graphic violence level, I have faith for this title, and I like it.

Anyway, Like most first episodes in any standord Shounen fighter, we'll just have to wait and see how this one goes,who knows,it may be promising, it may not,because most Shounen animes start out fine at first,but later turn to crap,but this one might have promising.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first ep and my immediate first thought was...(drum roll and all that)

'That's not a claymore...'

1. it tapers way too much
2. it doesn't even have a ricasso (the ricasso is one of the defining features of the claymore)
3. without the ricasso it can't be used properly...
4. the quillons aren't downturned

The fighting was typical shounen monster stuff and I can't really see how it can change that much throughout the series (if they start having 'special' attacks with magical glowing weapons, powering up sequences and super names then tell me now so I can stop watching)

On the flipside it wasn't all bad as I am sort of interested (willing to check out the next episode or two) in seeing how the relationship between the two goes on, is it a major part of the manga? Do you suspect it will be major in the anime or just lip service, cos again if you suspect it's just lip service then tell me now so I wont waste my time.

Edit: added point 4.

Last edited by hentai4me on Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Facade19

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Now I have to definately check out the manga, it appears that those of us who read the manga have a more consensual unimpressive viewing of the first episode.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
(if they start having 'special' attacks with magical glowing weapons, powering up sequences and super names then tell me now so I can stop watching)

Awwwww, you mean all the good stuff?

Naw, just kidding!Smile If you don't like it yourself, that's your own preference, and that's just fine. You won't have to worry about either that or the lip service thing being in there though, since neither one is in there at all. Or at least as far as I know anyways (only read to volume 7).
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
i know it's just the first episode, but i thought the art was fantastic. it would be great if they could they could maintain this level of quality through the rest of the series.
free2slap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
The first episode seemed fair to a particular point, an interesting protagonist and awsome animation but aside from that i was disappointed with the rushed beginning and i wasn't liking at all the concept they brought about the so -called Yoma. With such antagonists, the Yoma( on the assumption that they are) it almost feels like a Inuyasha-like or bleach. i dislike when the story moves on the basis of bringing a fight in every episode or in the case from this anime to fight with a Yoma, and with what i see so far, although i shouldn't judge since it is only first episode, it appears to be that way. On a positive note, i love Gory stories and claymore appears on that aspect, i can predict a lot of bloodbath in the future but i hope it won't only be Yoma's. I also love claire's sword, it looks a lot like Gut's in berserk and Ichigo's in Bleach, which made me wonder now why whenever they're making the protagonist fighting with a sword it always has to be a big and long ass one.

And about Raki, he seems a guy with great character and a lot of potential but how will he develop throughout the story that should be the main question. I hope it doesn't fall to the circumstance where he acts just to follow claire around and gets his ass save in every episode. Anyway i'll wait for the next episode.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:47 am Reply with quote
free2slap wrote:
. I also love claire's sword, it looks a lot like Gut's in berserk and Ichigo's in Bleach, which made me wonder now why whenever they're making the protagonist fighting with a sword it always has to be a big and long ass one.

Thats What I Asked[/url]
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
free2slap wrote:
. I also love claire's sword, it looks a lot like Gut's in berserk and Ichigo's in Bleach, which made me wonder now why whenever they're making the protagonist fighting with a sword it always has to be a big and long ass one.

Thats What I Asked[/url]

I think it's because it's big because it's MANLY...

I remember, when I was still working at the anime shop, me and my boss were looking at preview clips for a bunch of anime since he was thinking what we should order next... to sell, I mean.

We saw one for Le Chevalier, and my boss immediately exclaimed:

"This looks GAY."

... it was, not just because of how it looked, but because of the dinky swords (rapiers... or whatever they really are)

Yeah, that was interesting story (which doesn't actually reflect my opinion of the show).
kolibri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
First of all, as your resident "no manga spoilers in the anime threads" nazi I'd like to say...

NO MANGA SPOILERS IN THE ANIME THREADS!!!!!11!!

Spoiler tags, please, if you want to compare the anime and manga but please try to avoid saying things like "I can't wait for so-and-so to turn up" because that's really irritating... I want to enjoy the anime as the standalone product, and later pick up the manga if it's really good. I don't want to know about what you like about the manga that may or may not be included in the anime in the near or far future.

Ahem. I've been busy so I'm only now catching up with the new anime series and I've just finished watching Claymore. And I really liked it - I think it looks superb, I love the character design, animation is stylized but pretty, and the colours are washed giving it a very distinct look. Animation-wise it looks a lot more like Paradise Kiss than Death Note... all great looking shows from Madhouse. And music was just creepy (except the OP and ED, very average). And not having anything to compare it with, I thought the pacing was good - there was just good amount action, story, flashbacks and character development. I can't wait to see some more Smile

hentai4me wrote:
'That's not a claymore...'

Haha! That's what my husband said, too Wink The other thing he said was "I hope they are going to have some sensible male characters in this one", obviously not being impressed with the boy there - you manga readers and say yay or nay for that... (but no more Wink)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 65