• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Um, spoilers people? Yeah, there were plenty of hints, but still, would it kill you to spoiler[not reveal the death of a major character].
ikky

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
Updated OP animation can be viewed here: http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=68481

anyway, like many others here I was blown away by spoiler[the death of Kamina]. Definitely one of the most memorable and emotional scenes in any anime I have seen. And of course, the animation was inhuman Shocked

From now on, It seems like the secondary characters will get more screentime, and Simon will look more like the main character.
Vics3020

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
How do you think spoiler[is the girl with pink hair and nice eyes that apears in the preview of the next chapter I think maybe she will revive kamina] To me kamina seem very hurt not dead plus no one got close to him and checked his vitals
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, that OP seals it I guess. To be honest, when I watched the first episode, I couldn't even finish it. I had to turn it off in disgust, and when people would put it on in the club room, I would tend to just decide that I was done for the day and head home since I had no intention of wasting 20 more minutes out of my life to watch something I hated.

Then one day, I decided "what the hell, I don't really want to go home yet" and sat and watched episodes 4-8 all in one go with the rest of the group. By episode 6 I actually found myself getting into it, and was extremely surprised. It was sooo stupid and sooo over the top, it crossed some sort of barrier that actually made it good. I'm not exactly sure how that works.... but apparently it does.

By episode 7 I was really getting into it, and found myself really liking it. Kamina's reactions with the rest of the group were so hilariously stupid I couldn't help but laugh.

Then we got to episode 8. I was definitely not liking it much at first, it gets all dramatic and the love interests actually move, but naturally not in the direction I wanted them to. It's not lame that Kamina gets the girl and all the attention just for being an unthinking stubborn idiot. And then spoiler[Kamina got hurt. I was surprised he got hurt as badly as he did, but considering the nature of the show I didn't think much of it. I remarked "Oh man, what if they killed off Kamina?! They'd never do it in this type of a show, they don't have the balls for that sort of change" considering that all the people who had got me to follow the show had done so because of Kamina; because they were hot-headed mecha fans that love anything with a mecha and even more so if they don't have to think when watching a show.

And then, they did it. Kamina actually died, and I must say, that is absolutely AWESOME. I don't think anyone spoke a word for a full 3-4 minutes after episode 8 was over, we were all so dumbfounded that they actually did it. I never would have thought in a million years they would build the show like they did only to kill off the de facto main character. Gainex, I love you. It all hinges on episode 9, but if it is handled as well as I think it will be, this could be (and currently is) one of my overall top 2 or 3 of the season, and that's pretty hard to do in the spring. Shocked ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
After episode 9... I'm seriously really excited about the route Lagann is taking beyond the whole Nia is adorable deal going on, even if she is indeed a really nice character through rather than the usual forced fan-service cute little girl. Seriously, everything felt really refreshing and well done, the script took a turn for the better and feels still exciting yet there's now an intriguing grand-scoped very well thought plot behind the action-script and the characterizations, or rather their presentation, went a real notch above what we had previously seen while the personalities and the effects of loss came through as amazingly humane while retaining consistency with the ones they held at the happy over-the-top days.

The mood this time was tremendous too, as good for its purpose as it was the previous feel for before, their conflict with the Spiral Empire feels like a real war now, hopeless and without an end. Simon's and Yoko's inner changes are fitting and, dare I say it, realistic. Both of them are devastated yet doing their best to fill in Kamina's shoes while most of their practically now "army" falls apart without any support, and the writing here was superb. Emotional, sure, but not exaggerated and even if at times somewhat heartbreaking still very fun, specially by the moment Nia enters in scene. Speaking of her, both she and the new characters are surprisingly cool and likable thus far, charismatic yet with a hint of complexity, specially as we now have learned more about beastmen themselves.

Visually speaking this 22 minutes were once again a real sakuga-festa for those who like me really care about this kind of stuff. The animation was really introspective in a way similar to episode 7 of Haibane Renmei or 4 from Arjuna, so similar to them I dare to say the same Norio Matsumoto worked here. Not to say anything negative about the cinematography this time, good use of angles and scene composition, the same dynamic storyboarding we knew but much more personal.

For sure the idea is not amazingly creative at all, specially considering they're going for the definitive and most exciting super-robot show by making their tributes towards the history of mecha as a whole, but it's so amazingly constructed and written you can't help but being grabbed in by the feeling of adventure and immersion those epic old-school journey adventures evoked in the past. It's very much correct the analogy made by me right after I read the titles for episode 9-11 in that Animage magazine: they're going through the big eras of giant robots. We're already through the pure entertainment Mazinger era, the more serious Macross and Ideon are next and you can already feel it.

Two thumbs up on the follow up, Lagann team!
sykosteve

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
As soon as i saw Kamina speak in the first episode, I knew he was going to die. First of all, this is Gainax, and it is prone to taking dark twists with their shows ala mahoromatic and to a lesser degree abenobashi.

second...He was too much like gai dai goji from nadesico to me, so that's a ticket to death right there.

third...He was a motivational back board for simon, and it being a gainax show, he had to die -_-...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Information from the Gurren-Lagann panel at the Fanime Con:

Quote:
I recently returned from Gainax's Gurren-Lagann panel. I didn't bring my video camera this time, so I'm typing this from memory.

First, they showed the episode one of Gurren-Lagann without subtitles, but I'm pretty sure almost everyone there had already seen it fansubbed. After the episode was over, Hiroyuki Yamaga said, "If you want to see what happens next... I don't care, watch a fansub or something." So there you go: WE ARE FULLY AUTHORIZED TO DOWNLOAD GURREN-LAGANN. Then, people could ask Yamaga about the show.

Some of the important statements follow:

-Because of the bad reaction to episode four, there will not be any more extreme experiments with the animation style, only the usual we used in FLCL.

-The planet Gurren-Lagann takes place on is Earth in the future.

-The mole pig stampede (one of Yamaga's favorite scenes, and mine as well), the crazy-looking animals, and the Gainax cameos were not scripted the way they ended up, but were the results of the animators going crazy.

-Apparently, in Japan, "boys like drills".

-And, finally, someone asked, "Is Yoko really 14?" to much laughter and applause. Yamaga responded that "As the series takes place underground, time may be measured differently. So a year underground may be different from what we consider to be a year." That was met with the most cheering I had heard at the panel yet. Personally, I think it's the best non-committal answer I've ever heard.

-The series is going to be 26 episodes and self-concluding, since over that would probably wear them out and shorter isn't enough to get in what they want

-They are currently recording Episode 21 (as of 5/27/2007) (OH SNAP!)

-Episode 6 (Hot Springs) that aired on TV isn't the complete episode. Due to airing requirements, they had to cut out some scenes. Though he did say that the uncut version will be on the DVD release

-Gurren-Lagann may have a sequel, but the plot would be completely new since episode 26 will be the "end" of Simon's story.

Quote:
Gainax ran their third panel (or fourth, if you include their joint panel with Bandai Visual USA) today, and it focused entirely on Gainax’s newest show Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Hiroyuki Yamaga starred once more, and this time he aired the first episode of the anime (raw, of course).

Let’s see, the most important piece of information: there are most definitely plans to bring the show to the U.S., though of course no licensing announcement yet. But never fear, you will see Gurren Lagann drill its way through North America in the future. For the rest, hit the jump.

For those who wondered about the stylistic change in episode 4 of the show, Yamaga said that given the negative reaction of fans all over the place, they would probably not be doing anything quite like that again during the 26-episode run of the series.

When asked why drills were selected as a main weapon of the show, Yamaga said that maybe people in America don’t get it, but in Japan, boys like drills. Interpret as you will. In all seriousness, it was chosen because it was unrealistic and over the top - like the show itself.

One attendee asked about the inspiration for Kamina, and was told that it had to do with how the voice actor acts. I asked Curium’s question about why humans came to live underground and was told: that will be addressed in episode 15. Ask an’ ye shall receive, readers! The show is currently recording episode 21, by the way, even though episode nine only just aired - if that gives you a sense of what kind of lead time there is on an anime.

Another attendee inquired as to Gurren Lagann’s length, versus 6-episode OVAs like FLCL or Gunbuster, and Yamaga said that the Gainax staff had been really interested in creating something more character-driven, which requires more time than a 6-episode series can provide. Apparently they originally hoped to make it a year-long series, but decided they’d get burned out, so decided on 26 episodes instead.

With regards to the Gainax girls cameo in episode six - featuring Evangelion’s Rei and Asuka, Mahoromatic’s Mahoro, and Gunbuster 2’s Nono and Lark - Yamaga noted that the episode was originally supposed to be about Kamina attempting to peep on the girls at a hot spring, but since it airs at 8:30am on Sundays, it had to be toned down for potential kid-watching. They hope to do late-night reruns with the “real” episode six, and that the real version will also be on the DVD release.

Oh, and a final attendee asked if the buxom sniper Yoko was actually supposed to be 14 years old. Yamaga very carefully didn’t say “yes,” but suggested that since she grew up underground, perhaps they measure years differently. Smooth man, that Yamaga.

Yamaga also gave out drills at the end of the panel. (Yes, I fought hordes and got one.)

Aaaaand that’s pretty much it for industry panels here at Fanime Con in San Jose.
Vics3020

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm confuse because I remember seen kamina on top of the dai gurren just in the first episode Yelling gurren laggan pierce troght the sky whit your drill so I tought he couldn´t posibly die but he did so maybe that of the first episode was a mistake or something wasnt it
Rainulf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Vics3020 wrote:
I'm confuse because I remember seen kamina on top of the dai gurren just in the first episode Yelling gurren laggan pierce troght the sky whit your drill so I tought he couldn´t posibly die but he did so maybe that of the first episode was a mistake or something wasnt it

lol, that wasn't him, I believe it was spoiler[Simon, I've even seen the grown up picture of him.. =P]
Vics3020

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote
Even if it were simon hoe would be piloting the langan and it wolud be creepy that simon turn out to be so similar to kamina
Rainulf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
Vics3020 wrote:
Even if it were simon hoe would be piloting the langan and it wolud be creepy that simon turn out to be so similar to kamina

No, it wouldn't be creepy that Simon turn out to be so similar to Kamina. As a matter of fact, it's to be expected, because Simon idolize Kamina. In addition, Simon is the protagonist of this show (obviously, because he's always in the middle.. Anime hyper lol) where he must overcome himself, and be a man.. Loss of innocence, that's pretty much the theme of the show.
cycrone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
he's most likely to be exactly like kamina like how they portrayed the 1st episode. because who i thought was kamina was holdin the drill key of super ultimate doom of buttrapage but yea.. lol
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
OI, because I move slow on the mass amounts of shows I watch, I'm on episode 6, but did anybody see in that episode, when Kamina was being hoarded by all those girls with bunny ears, those girls were Nono and Lal'C from Gunbuster 2, Rei and Asuka from Eva, Mahoro from Mahoromatic and other peeps from GAINAX?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Dranxis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, those girls were definitely Gainax cameos. Speaking of references, Viral's Ganmen was called Enkidu in episode 10, right? Is that a reference to Enkidu from the epic of Gilgamesh? Cause I was wondering if some of the other Ganmen... Like Sayrune, for example, might be named after characters from epics. Of course, it could be like most anime literary references, where names are just thrown around for the heck of it.

Anyway, this is seriously turning out to be an AWESOME show. I'm becoming more and more attached to these characters, even though they appeared to be one-dimensional in the beginning. I'm only worried that Simon might turn out to be another Shinji at this rate, but if the first episode tells us anything, he'll grow out of it before long.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
was anyone else kinda bothered by the fact that spoiler[Simon wants to be his own person, yet his ultimate attack is exactly the same (sunglasses and all)?]

all in all, 11 was a great episode. i was beginning to get sick of emo Simon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19