• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - The Shojo Must Go On

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote
OH and Emma. Can't forget Emma.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:04 am Reply with quote
Emma is not a shojo manga though. And Paradise Kiss is a Josei.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:25 am Reply with quote
I empathized with Zac's realization with shoujo that there really is nothing like it in the West. Actually, that mirrors something I've argued about visual novels, that many of them represent a romance genre for men that has no Western equivalent that I know of.

If we go with Zac's comment that what stands out about shoujo is how a story like "Marmalade Boy" or "Hana Yori Dango" just features ordinary people and their lives and their relationships -- sorry, can't find his exact quote in the MP3 -- well, sure we can probably find various indie comics that meets that broad definition. But I found myself thinking about "Archie" comics (of all things!) recently, and wondered "hey, what genre is this?" Even though it's idiomatically nothing like shoujo -- self-contained, gag-centric stories without particular depth to the supposed romance -- isn't this a somewhat popular (or at least once-popular) example of relationship-driven non-super-powered Western comics? It's not shoujo, and I can't imagine what its modern audience is (collectors?), but compared to the rest of Western comics, it's an awfully odd duck. Is there some broader, cross-cultural genre that both "Honey and Clover" and "Pals and Gals" fall into, or is that so broad as to not be meaningful anymore?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I remember when some girl was crying in front of Miyazaki when he was hosting Spirited Away in L.A., saying that she never had a show like it when she was 13. Of course, then Neil Gaiman tried to do the same movie with Coraline...

And I would point out, from the link you cited:

Quote:
but [Gaiman] has asserted that the similarities are merely coincidental, particularly since his Coraline novel was finished a year before details about Miyazaki’s Spirited Away movie began coming to light.

So sorry, no claims of copying/borrowing can be validated here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:48 am Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
My problem with a LOT of shojo is how a lot of it just comes off as misogynistic, or rape-happy.

It's kinda strange to read that since...well women are writing these stories.

However, according to some Japanese manga critics and some of the Fabulous 49ers (a group of artists considered as the mothers of modern shojo) the rape element is actually extremely important to shojo. Some of them feel it is a key element to Japanese women's literature in general.

Wait, what?! Given the often deplorable state of gender equality in Asia, I'd love to hear someone explain this argument to me.

Vertical_Ed wrote:
It's definitely now a "hook" and while it might not work well with other cultures, in Japan it is an time-proven trope that adds dynamics to character development.

Yeah, because it's instant (and lazy) character depth/background. Need a tragic or traumatic life event or character? Rape'em. Or kill both their parents.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:

And while Eroica might depress some, SWAN did half as well. I don't think a single volume ever broke 4-digits. It's best was only a little more than halfway there, while most were barely squeaking into 3-digits.

Haha, all my favourite series sell/sold HORRIBLY! I've got several bookcases filled with failure. Awesome failure Very Happy
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Emma is shojo to me.

Also I watched Redline, I'm not sure what's so good about it. Not sure what ANN people love it. not sure why Japan love it. I couldn't finish the movie.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
My problem with a LOT of shojo is how a lot of it just comes off as misogynistic, or rape-happy.

It's kinda strange to read that since...well women are writing these stories.

However, according to some Japanese manga critics and some of the Fabulous 49ers (a group of artists considered as the mothers of modern shojo) the rape element is actually extremely important to shojo. Some of them feel it is a key element to Japanese women's literature in general.

Wait, what?! Given the often deplorable state of gender equality in Asia, I'd love to hear someone explain this argument to me.

Vertical_Ed wrote:
It's definitely now a "hook" and while it might not work well with other cultures, in Japan it is an time-proven trope that adds dynamics to character development.

Yeah, because it's instant (and lazy) character depth/background. Need a tragic or traumatic life event or character? Rape'em. Or kill both their parents.

Fantasy rape and real life rape are completely different. Lots of women have rape fantasies but they wouldn't want to be raped in real life. Unfortunately, I imagine a lot of Japanese women, like these authors, were probably taught that such things are "normal", even in real life.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

And that's what threw me for PK. It was a jump from light and fluffy to a bit of broody and emotional. Going out of just "shoujo" into auxiliary genres this was one of my more interesting transitions.

As for Emma, I guess, but I'm just a fan of non-action life stories and lump em together really.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
Hmm, my first shoujo manga (well, manga in general) was Marmalade Boy. And following right after that, Mars.
I remember burrowing them from a friend in middle school and reading them during class. I actually ended up getting one of my non-anime/manga friends into Marmalade Boy (she liked reading/watching teen drama/romance stuff like One Tree Hill & The O.C at the time)

But yeah, from there on, I pretty much turned into a shoujo manga junkie.

Though it sucks that shoujo always gets the short-end of the stick when it comes to anime adaptations. I think the trend now are live-action adaptations instead, especially if it's just a school life/slice of life series, like Otomen and Highschool Debut and such. There's a few good shoujo series that I would love to see an anime adaptation of (Strobe Edge, Immortal Rain) but I doubt it'll ever happen any time soon. Oh well, I'll just continue reading the manga lol.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Emma is shojo to me.

It's not really useful if everybody just decides these things for himself. Then you can't really discuss them so easily anymore. The demographic is decided by the publisher, which makes it very easy to look up in most cases (apart from some magazines that purposely don't aim at a specific audience), and then to discuss with everybody having the same "basis".

BunnyCupCakes wrote:
Though it sucks that shoujo always gets the short-end of the stick when it comes to anime adaptations.

Because anime are aimed mostly at male otakus, who don't necessarily care for shojo series. While shojo mangas are aimed at any kind of girl. And many of these girls aren't otakus, and they as well as a general non-otaku audience are easier to reach through live action series. But I'd love to see some more fantasy shojo series (which doesn't work well as live action) animated. For now at least we got some Josei series, Bunny Drop and Chihayafuru (starting next season).

Asterisk-CGY wrote:
As for Emma, I guess, but I'm just a fan of non-action life stories and lump em together really.

Well, I guess you are not necessarily only a fan of "shojo", but a fan of the "slice of life" genre. Which can often be found in shojo mangas, but not exclusively. Just as "romance" and "drama" aren't exclusive to shojo mangas. You might want to check out some more Josei mangas =)
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:28 am Reply with quote
I really liked this ANNCast! I enjoy hearing people's opinions about shojo anime and manga since I have such love for it (I miss the Chicks on Anime column!). And I find it funny that Zac kept referring back to Hana Yori Dango and Marmalade Boy as 'definitive' shojo, because those are the exact two series I think of as well - they are both purely character-driven (not to mention they're two of my favorite series, along with Kodocha).

I have to say, I really agree with Emily about wanting the Itazura na Kiss anime to be licensed - I'm reading the manga and I'm enjoying it because of how much it influenced so many later shojo romantic-comedies.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote
A minor complaint about the podcast. Ed a couple of times refers to "49ers" without ever explaining the term. While from the context it's clear enough that it was a group of influential mangaka, it seems neither he, Zac, nor Emily realized the many of the listeners would be completely unfamiliar with the phrase. As someone living in the U.S., the first association I make with 49ers is the football team, and then the gold rush that provided their name. I feel you missed an opportunity to possibly enlighten your audience about what seems to be an important bit of manga history.

maaya wrote:

You're splitting hairs, at least about Emma (not familiar with Paradise Kiss). Emma is a historical romantic drama, and to any male, that just screams chick flick, regardless of quality or maturity level, and because it's manga, it just gets dumped all under the broad label of shojo.

Regarding the faux-yuri stuff, I can think of three shows that include those kind of situations. One being Marimite, which I haven't actually seen but is, or at least was, pretty popular and influential. The other two are more parodies of the idea: Otoboku and Maria-holic. I think "faux-yuri" refers to the situations where younger girls are paired up with an upperclassman as a mentor type, and there is abundant romantic subtext, but nothing actually occurs. Otoboku obviously doesn't really fit this because it's a harem comedy where the male is forced to cross-dress to attend an all girls school and becomes the respected older girl. Maria-holic has the shallow lesbian lead relentlessly mocked for expecting such relationships to be common place in the series. I don't watch much shojo normally, so I don't know any actual examples of faux-yuri, though.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

Asterisk-CGY wrote:

Well, I guess you are not necessarily only a fan of "shojo", but a fan of the "slice of life" genre. Which can often be found in shojo mangas, but not exclusively. Just as "romance" and "drama" aren't exclusive to shojo mangas. You might want to check out some more Josei mangas =)

Well Last Josei I read was Nana, and haven't looked for anything really since. A lot of it really has to do with backlog. Most of these series seem to have been ongoing for a while, so its not easy to jump in and pick up. That and they're not that prominatly really on most radars. And with Nana still on haitus, well...

Eh at some point maybe, but I follow enough stuff to keep me busy. Just need a big name to show up somewhere to catch again.

Could start watching those Kdramas on CR. Or the live action Hayate.

Ahhh Live Action, trying to be anime while clearly not.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

You're splitting hairs, at least about Emma (not familiar with Paradise Kiss). Emma is a historical romantic drama, and to any male, that just screams chick flick, regardless of quality or maturity level, and because it's manga, it just gets dumped all under the broad label of shojo.

No, he's not. In my opinion romantic manga aimed at boys/men, such as Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road is different from shojo and Emma did nothing to change it. Emma feels nothing like any shojo manga I've read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4