• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Song that broke you into jpop/anime music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbuttheather89

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I heard a lot of anime music before i really got into it like 'Real Folk Blues". But i have 3 songs that really got me into it. Sobsaku, Heart of Sword,and My Will. Sobsaku aka:Freckles and Heart of Sword r the begining and ending themes for Rurouni Kenshin. And My Will is the first ending theme 4 Inu-Yasha. I had one more song in mind but i cant remember it! hehe Mad
Oh yeah i forgot to mention i am new!
Cerberus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say that the openings and endings to Gundam Wing by Two-Mix got me into J-Pop. I thought that it was really cool music so I started listening to some other music by them and really liked it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:16 am Reply with quote
Can't say a specific song... but I'd say the songs from KOR, esp Kanako Wada's...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
rektagunn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
rektagunn wrote:
"Sobakasu" by Judy and Mary

Finally! Someone else that likes this song!!! Man, that got totally bashed in the "worst song" thread, unfairly if you ask me.

I think they were clowning the english version of that song....of which I am indifferent towards.....Sandy Fox is cool though.............

the Japanese version, on the other hand, ROCKS like fat nuts!
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:07 am Reply with quote
rektagunn wrote:
I think they were clowning the english version of that song....of which I am indifferent towards.....Sandy Fox is cool though.............

the Japanese version, on the other hand, ROCKS like fat nuts!

Amen, there. As for me personally, I think that the English version sounds more or less the same as the Japanese version...for about a minute and ten seconds or however long it is. Anyhoo, it's good stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
rektagunn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:04 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Iron Chef"]
rektagunn wrote:

Amen, there. As for me personally, I think that the English version sounds more or less the same as the Japanese version...for about a minute and ten seconds or however long it is. Anyhoo, it's good stuff.

Yeah, I'm a little nitpicky when it comes to lead guitars and I think the lead guitars on the Japanese version is different from (and more "well-constructed" than) the lead on the English version......
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:40 am Reply with quote
"Idol Talk" from Macross Plus got me interested in anime music (even though it was sung in French) and "Fourth Avenue Cafe" from Rurouni Kenshin sparked my interest in jpop.

When I first heard "Idol Talk", I had never heard anything like that in an anime before.
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:41 am Reply with quote
BuffaloStyle wrote:
"Idol Talk" from Macross Plus got me interested in anime music (even though it was sung in French) When I first heard "Idol Talk", I had never heard anything like that in an anime before.

Yeah, good call. The Macross Plus II soundtrack was the first one I ever thought of buying. Even though the show wasn't all that hot, there was some pretty decent music in it. "Voices" was cool, "Idol Talk" is pretty sexy and "Pulse" is just mesmerizing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kidotai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:46 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
BuffaloStyle wrote:
"Idol Talk" from Macross Plus got me interested in anime music (even though it was sung in French) When I first heard "Idol Talk", I had never heard anything like that in an anime before.

Yeah, good call. The Macross Plus II soundtrack was the first one I ever thought of buying. Even though the show wasn't all that hot, there was some pretty decent music in it. "Voices" was cool, "Idol Talk" is pretty sexy and "Pulse" is just mesmerizing.

Information High was the best song off the soundtracks.
Koenma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Umm... I think my first J-Pop song was... Sobakasu, By Judy and Mary, about three years ago. barely listen to anything but J-Pop/Rock now, with "The Pillows" being my favorite band.Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Sakura no Miko

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...that'd be "Just Communication" by Two-Mix, I think. For some odd reason--likely growing up on dubs--it shocked me to hear a song in Japanese.
After that, "Tsuki no Ie" and "The Real Folk Blues," which I heard on Cartoon Network, hooked me.

My first CD...Hmm, that would be wither Initial D's "Extra Stage" or Rurouni Kenshin's "Best Collection."
trigunner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
or Rurouni Kenshin's "Best Collection."

That was mine. Actually, now that I think about it, was it? Confused
I'll get back to ya.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Wing on CN was probably the first show I really got into and finished. And I loved Just Communication. That song was so rad.
Also, Anybody ever listen to any of the Def Jam Japan artists? There's one woman (can't remember her name) but she sings this song called "Thank You". I tried my best not to like it, but it's just so damn catchy! I saw her perform it live on HEY HEY HEY music champ in the international channel. If you get a chance, check it out.
kodochafan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Listening to the soundtrack for NGE and to some of the excellent vocal tracks, playing a PSX game called Bust A Groove (import version with the oh so catchy Kitty N and Shorty theme in japanese). This all happened several years ago, and I started to listen to Namie and Ayumi and fell in love ever since.

Nowadays I'm more of a Shiina Ringo, GoGo7188, Olivia Lufkin, and Brilliant Green fan. Cool
PunkDB326
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:03 am Reply with quote
I remember enjoying Cowboy Bebop music (who doesn't?) but I think my big breakthrough song that threw me into the world of anime music was "My Will" from Inuyasha. Something about that song just struck a chord in my heart, maybe it was the snow, or the voice, or the lighted ferris wheel, or the octave change, or all of it! But whatever it was I couldn't get enough anime music after that. Now I'm into all kinds, and actually a friend and I have made 5 anime mix cds of all different shows that are fantastic to listen to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4