• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Video-On-Demand Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CloakBass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Cloakbass: Toei's answer will probably be Brockenman.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I realize they cannot list all of Toei's super robot series in the poll...but not listing either Ufo Robot Grendizer and Getter Robo G as an available program is disappointing.
hikura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Why doesn't it surpise me that sailor moon got a huge amount of votes?Proves my point there is a demand for it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd have easily voted for Sailor Moon myself, but there was no "on DVD" option. Specifically Stars, since I already have the first three seasons and part of the fourth on legitimate Region 1 DVDs when they were still licensed, but if the re-mastering was better than Laserdisc quality, I'd think hard about re-buying at least some of what I already have.

I only like getting hard copies of stuff. I'm not interested in paying for downloads ever, in any way, shape, or form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I hope the Sailor Moon includes the Live Action Sailor Moon and the Operas as well! I cant get enough of Sailor Moon! I love that show!

I hope they also do follow the poll - it would be nice to see an official Pretty Cure release! This is another show that I absolutely love!

But I voted for almost everything on the list - did anyone actually take a look at all the show descriptions they had there? Awesome list! There were only a few I had zero interest in at all.

Hopefully someone from Toei will actually look at the responses on this forum...

I hope I can get this when it comes out - I hope its not going to be something relagated only to certain cable TV companies - I hope I can get this using my standard broadband connection that I have.

And echoing what a LOT of people are saying - I hope that all of these will be released on DVD thinpacks as well - so MANY people want Sailor Moon and Fist of the Northstar it's not even funny, but not everyone has broadband internet access.
Crawly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
icepick314 wrote:
i said none of the above...

remember....this is Toei....lousy translation, crappy subtitle formats....

the mess with Interlude and Slam Dunk just made me say NO to any in-house Japanese releases to US market...

So Toei suffers from an issue similar to Hirameki's? That's disappointing, but, hell, if Slam Dunk winds up on VOD, I can't really complain too much.

If it was as bad as the original dvd release then there'd be a lot to complain about, particularly with these being sub only (and likely not fixed for this release). I have mixed feelings on this. I'd love to have a decent, uncut version of SM, since the only good releases we got here were seasons 3, 4 and the movies. I'd also dearly love Air Master, Interlude, Digimon, and Pretty Cure.

On the other hand, this is Toei handling the project. I'd need to see the end product before buying. I'm also leery of legit download-to-own operations. In the US, they're riddled with DRM, making "own" more like "rent." Again, I'd love to have some of these titles, and I'm desperate enough for some of them to pay for downloads provided I could burn them to dvd and play them at will anywhere on any machine or player. But the details and the end quality would be the main selling point.

Though, great gods of Toei, I'd much rather have dvds with pretty boxes and physical extras produced in R1 by a company with an established reputation like Geneon.
ENJN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
When will we know the poll results?
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'd have easily voted for Sailor Moon myself, but there was no "on DVD" option.

This is my problem too. I don't like my VOD service (I don't use it), and I have this thing about wanting to be able to hold my anime without lifting up my CPU. For the time being, I choose not to vote at all, because I do not want to encourage a line of thinking that I want said anime to be available via download without it being implied it would also be available on DVD in an uncut subbed (and dubbed for those who like it) format.
Crawly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
^ I have misgivings, also, and I'm not a fan of VOD or downloads. However, I voted because I do have a real interest in these shows. I want Toei to know that there is a demand for the programming. I just put in a word that I'd much prefer dvds by a trustworthy company that's already here.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Bah, Toei knows very well that Sailor Moon is probably their most demanded out of that list for us here in North America. I don't think they need a poll for that. But I have to wonder with this kind of question being asked that perhaps the reason they're sitting on the rights to Sailor Moon is because they're now planning some massive internet distribution by themselves in an attempt to completely get rid of the middle man in North America, and cash in even more. I really hope that's just my schizophrenia problem popping in, cause I personally would prefer buying my Sailor Moon eps on dvd instead of digital via internet.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf: Maybe they can't put it on dvd, cus DiC still has the rights?
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
I just hope some of this stuff gets English dubbed. Granted, an English-subbed release of Maple Town Story in its entirety would kick all kinds of ass, but one with my dream cast of Kari Wahlgren and Steve Cannon as Patty and Bobby would be universe-implodingly awesome. Anime smile
firecrouch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
littlegreenwolf: Maybe they can't put it on dvd, cus DiC still has the rights?

DiC hasn't had the rights for a long time now.

And I'd just like to say in addition to seeing great Toei Animation T.V. shows and O.V.A..s, I'd love to see some classic movies. I've been wanting to see "Horus: Prince of the Sun" for a while now, and I know not everyone who' d be interested has seen "Puss 'n Boots" (a great movie if you like old-school cartoon slapstick by the way).
Humle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
I voted for Sailor Moon, I don't want to download the episodes but I hope that this will make Toei understand that we WANT Sailor Moon and have wanted it for over 3 years now. I hope that they will sell licenses all over the world again so Sailor Moon can be as popular as it once was.
Or at least sell licenses to Sweden so I can enjoy the show. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7