• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chobits = Hentai?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kripton0x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
This is not a Hentai serie. But It has a very spent theme in anime: an unskilled boy that takes care of a beautyfull little girl (that seems not to have brain). Anime series like this use to have several hot scenes that most of the japanese people (and me and I'm sure most of the writers in this forum) enjoy them.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:43 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
I'm saying the subject matter justifies the MA rating, not any one scene.

So.. I guess we need to re-rate some other titles, then, yah? I've always been baffled how Ergo Proxy got changed from an MA to Teen rating. I believe someone used the excuse that it wasn't particularly violent in any given scene. But if we're going to go by your logic and the Encyclopedists are willing to follow, at least for Chobits, then I recommend we start weeding out all the titles right now and rate them based on overall content.

By the way, which would you all say is more extreme, subject matter over killing people or subject matter over "implied" sexuality? Or how about psychological aspects. Would that count towards a title's rating too?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
So.. I guess we need to re-rate some other titles, then, yah? I've always been baffled how Ergo Proxy got changed from an MA to Teen rating. I believe someone used the excuse that it wasn't particularly violent in any given scene. But if we're going to go by your logic and the Encyclopedists are willing to follow, at least for Chobits, then I recommend we start weeding out all the titles right now and rate them based on overall content.

By the way, which would you all say is more extreme, subject matter over killing people or subject matter over "implied" sexuality? Or how about psychological aspects. Would that count towards a title's rating too?

You have to remember though that if the company slaps that MA rating or whatever it is they go by on the box, we really couldn't change the rating based on how we feel about the series. Not to sound like an a*****e or anything, but I think that it would throw some people off.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
You have to remember though that if the company slaps that MA rating or whatever it is they go by on the box, we really couldn't change the rating based on how we feel about the series. Not to sound like an a*****e or anything, but I think that it would throw some people off.

I know. This is exactly what I'm talking about with some of the titles in the Encyclopedia.

Geneon labeled Chobits as 16+, I would equate that to a Mature rating, which is fair enough. Ergo Proxy is also labeled 16+, and the rating in the Encyc. used to be Mature until someone suggested otherwise based on the arguments seen in this thread about "not any specific scene was too graphic, so I think it should be rated Teen."

Meanwhile, I noticed a few Gundam series (Wing and G) were rated Older Children, while Bandai clearly has them labeled as 13+, which I would equate to a Teen rating. While they're not particularly violent or mature, it's still another Gundam series, and I've always thought their intended demographic were adolescents and such around the 10-15 age range. I mean, people do die and it is a depiction of war, after all, regardless of how they decided to write it up in that particular incarnation. It's the subject matter, not the actual presentation that counts. Plus, it's not exactly something 5-9 year olds would really get in to, right? Then again, I don't know how smart Japanese kids are...

Point is, I think we should create a more specific standard for the Age Rating system, here.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Rating systems definitely are tricky, especially since not everyone necessarily uses the same one.

And then of course, there are cases like Gravitation, which is rather 13+, IIRC, and yet was sold with warning stickers on it in stores like it was 18+, because it featured a homosexual relationship.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Then again, I don't know how smart Japanese kids are...

I would say pretty smart. And dedicated gamers. When I see people ranging from 5th grade to college age lined up to play Gundam in the arcades, then some of those people have to smart you know.

Quote:
Point is, I think we should create a more specific standard for the Age Rating system, here.

Or maybe the anime industry could stand to make one rating system, like ADV's rating system.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
angel_lover wrote:
I'm saying the subject matter justifies the MA rating, not any one scene.

Whether or not you were being serious Tony I think many titles do need new ratings. Ratings should CONSIDER specific scenes but over all I agree with the idea content should be the deciding factor. Suppose there was a show that show cased kids, college age let's say, going out and beating up or killing bums for fun. They never curse, show nudity, or the violence. So that should get only a Teen rating shall we say right? Hell no. I think scenes can influence a rating but it should be on over all content and the messages it could send to people.

Subject matter over killing btw is more extreme. No matter how bad the sexual content matter is the simple fact is killing means someone is dead. Their life over. Can't get much more extreme then that, short of killing multiple people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3