• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action DBZ Set to Shoot in Montreal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Well this is... interesting... but really at 100 million they can't do much unless they hire nonfamous actors, which would probably result in laughably bad dialogue and lameness all over, oh wait, this is DBZ we're talking about, that may work Razz

I remember rumors that the actors who were to be in the movie were Jackie Chan as Goku and Wesley Snipes as Picollo. Now if that were true, I would go see the movie just for laughs.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
This can't be true. They will make a movie for children, without blood and death. DBZ have been always for children in Japan but Japanese parents are more liberal in what a children can watch than American parents. I don't want to watch Goku going to "another dimension".

... Where have you been for the past seven or so odd years? "The next dimension" bit stopped when Saban (I think) lost the rights to DBZ.

Not to mention, violence in the US kids shows is rising (Notably the comic book ones, like the DCAU, and possibility's of Gwen being lobbed off a bridge in the new Spider-man), and JP anime violence is declining (Compare the early Bleach episodes to ones nowadays.)

Eh, just what I'm noticing.. back on topic, I hope this movie is one of those "So bad its amazing." type ones.
Dune

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Hey neat, it really is alive. ...I hope they film the city scenes during Sundays.

I hope we get a good film here. Doesn't have to be a masterpiece or anything, I just hope that Fox treats it better than its other comic book properties, almost all of which turned sour. (Seriously, Fox: no Ratner.)

You know, I think this film would look great by taking a cue from Jet Li's Hero. It's poetry-esque wirework, wonderful fight choreography, and historical Chinese costumes would fit DBZ great, I think. For the storyline, I'm betting the Saiyan saga is the way to go. The one confusing subplot might be the whole Piccolo-Kami-Dragonball lifelink thing, but aside from that most of the plotpoints work well enough for new audiences.
PurpleM

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
yet the live action Eva is still a dead project?

And that's a bad thing? Laughing

Here's hoping that they can use that money to make decent-looking action sequences.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, Jackie Chan and Jet Li are supposed to be in a movie together.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Wesley Snipes being a Piccolo. He kicked ass in Blade.

But seriously, I'd never thought I'd see the day. >.>;

xD I do wish that Toriyama could be the director or at least put some info, because the people who are either going to act in it or direct in it better know stuff about the series. It's been so popular, how could you not?

xD Johnny Yong Bosch could be Adult Gohan!! ROFL!!

.....But still seeing the news makes my stomach want to turn. >.>;
Vapors

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
300 wasn't all about paste and copy of a bunch of guys. A lot of the animals and scenes had a ton of detail that probably took a lot of time (i.e. money). Plus in those slow mo shots, there's a lot of detail that needs to be maintained (drops of blood, flying body parts, scene details). Plus as someone already mentioned, costs have gone done considerably. By the time they get to the actual SFX shots, the costs will probably again go down and technological capabilities will be up. And before 300, Gerald Butler's most prominent role I knew of was Phantom of the Opera, so in all likely hood we will see a bunch of dramatic actors and actresses we know nothing about in the lead roles, further keeping costs down. And oh right, its in Canada, where it will probably be much cheaper to film and construct sets. Looking at it all, $100 mil seems pretty satisfactory. I mean, just because you spend a lot, does not equate to a great movie. Examples include Superman, Evan Almighty, Alexander.

Here's hoping for the best. I usually try to keep my expectations down for movies based on adaptations of things I have read. And especially for things I like.
Moogle-X

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
The end of the world is near!!! Repent! Repent! The Dragon Ball Movie is the first sign of the end of the world!

Prepare for the second sign. Uwe Boll will get an Academy Award for best director on a movie!

I can't imagine this movie will even be worth while. If you put in name-brand actors, you destroy any believability of the film. I really think that they should pay for a really good quality director who has good action movie experience. I'd like to see someone like say Robert Rodriquez who are good at making highly stylized pictures. I think perhaps a dark semi-serious version of the film with the entire history rewritten for the movie might be the only way it will work. Tie it in extremely loosely. A spoof could possibly be interesting but I'm not sure fans would react kindly to it.

Man, I remember being into Dragon Ball... when I was a child 15 years ago!!!
How long will they abuse this series and drain more life out of Akira Toriyama. The man is going to have a mental breakdown and be locked away for the rest of his life! Such a good quality manga author should be treated better by his publishers/television show producers!
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote
HyperGatack wrote:
Not to mention, violence in the US kids shows is rising (Notably the comic book ones, like the DCAU, and possibility's of Gwen being lobbed off a bridge in the new Spider-man), and JP anime violence is declining (Compare the early Bleach episodes to ones nowadays.)

What are you talking about? In an american cartoon, nobody can have guns, nobody can bleed and nobody says: "he is dead", everybody has to say: "he was destroyed". Even smoking is banned. You make a good point, 2000 anime isn't as violent as 90 anime but it's still more liberal than cartoons. I'm afraid that in an American movie of DBZ, there can't be scenes like Freezer cutted in two pieces or Piccolo losing his arm. Even sexual jokes will be banned. Look what American studios did to Jackie Chan. In his Chinese movies, Jackie made sexual jokes, he bleed and he made dangerous stunts. When he moved to Hollywood, producers turn him into a clown for the kids; just compare Dragons Forever with Around the world in 80 days.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I will probably go see it, to say the least. Never been a big fan of DBZ, but a live action version, if done well, should be entertaining. :3 (Judging merely by the fact that I like Mortal Combat...) And to me, as long as there's a good STORYLINE and good acting I'm satisfied. I can always stomach cheesy action scenes for the sake of a good story. :3 (i.e., PGSM...)

And JYB as adult Goku sounds way hot. Laughing
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

**Grabs Rubber mallet on desk and starts hitting head till unconscious**

I've heard about fox considering this years ago but I thought that it was just a rumor and only that. I'm really curious as to how they are going to pull this one off but I'll still go to see it just for entertainment but I'm predicting that the quality of the movie will be somewhere between decent to down-right super milk chan horrible.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
HyperGatack wrote:

What are you talking about? In an american cartoon, nobody can have guns, nobody can bleed and nobody says: "he is dead", everybody has to say: "he was destroyed". Even smoking is banned. You make a good point, 2000 anime isn't as violent as 90 anime but it's still more liberal than cartoons. I'm afraid that in an American movie of DBZ, there can't be scenes like Freezer cutted in two pieces or Piccolo losing his arm. Even sexual jokes will be banned. Look what American studios did to Jackie Chan. In his Chinese movies, Jackie made sexual jokes, he bleed and he made dangerous stunts. When he moved to Hollywood, producers turn him into a clown for the kids; just compare Dragons Forever with Around the world in 80 days.

You OBVIOUSLY never watched Justice league (The Question once tried to Kill Luthor to prevent Superman from doing it himself) or 4kids Ninja Turtles. (Yes, 4kids ninja turtles was pretty darn open when it came to death compared to other shows in general.) Not only that, We were SHOWN Freezer being cut in pieces (Twice I might add), and Piccolo getting his arm sucked dry and RIPPING it off.

And kids shows have been cracking sex jokes for YEARS. God knows how long they got away with Chokey Chicken in Rockos...
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
ok i must be missing something. when did 100 million become cheap? Shocked
kokuryu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
Well let's see what we end up with... I hope its better than the previous concept photos with those uber fake hairdoo-s... sheesh...
Walker-san

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one incredibly, amazingly excited about this?!

Ed Wood left the biggest residue stain in the Hollywood Hall of Fame!

No one's bested it quite yet, but Peter Jackson came close with his masterpiece Bad Taste (which I'll pick any day over Lord of the Rings Razz ).

For all I know, this movie adds quite a few "favorable" things to the list...well, only three are important:
1-Its DBZ...people...
2-A puny budget
3-*gasp* Johnny Depp is gonna be VEGETA?! Oh wait, nope...HEY, can anyone here name a famous celebrity who's willing to work on a DBZ live-action flick? Okay, how about Bollywood?

Those 3 key things, in my opinion...can add up to an AWESOME movie! Very Happy
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
Why do I have the feeling that this Montreal paper is picking up on an old internet rumor.

Really, none of the other movie news sites have picked this up. I call bullcrap. Last I heard a DBZ movie was in development hell and I also thought that whatever studio that had the rights had given up. Never mind they haven't even named a director or writer or producer or anyone yet, never mind cast. So how the hell can they film it?

tygerchickchibi wrote:
Ironically, Jackie Chan and Jet Li are supposed to be in a movie together.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Wesley Snipes being a Piccolo. He kicked ass in Blade.

But seriously, I'd never thought I'd see the day. >.>;

Wow. The only stupider than this news of a DBZ movie is the fans sticking by the lame casting rumors from like five years ago.

Really. Why do people keep saying Jackie Chan and Jet Li? Are people really that stupid? Are people really that dumb to think that there are only a handful of Asian actors and martial artists? Really, this is some of the stupidest rumors I've heard.

Oh and if you know anything about Wesley Snipes's current situation, you shouldn't even be thinking of that old rumor either.

Last edited by The Xenos on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7