• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Notes near Body Parts in Belgium Linked to Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
What the hell! It's things like these that exacerbate the reputation of manga/anime. Why are people so stupid?!?! Death note is a great series. Now, not only is it a "poison, creating wicked hearts" it's also being imitated in the worst possible ways. This is just sick.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, what the hell is up with this year?
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
i blame it on global warming !
zetsuie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Quote:
Notes near Body Parts in Belgium Linked to Death Note

Quote:
near

Quote:
Death Note

Oh ho, subtle message?

Anyway, this is a horrible travesty. I mean, "dess"? There's nothing worse than misspelling.
yes i see, the adult swim marketing campaign strikes again first boston, now Belgium, next Uranus

Last edited by zetsuie on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heretic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
LoOpiNg wrote:
but in the anime, did the line "watashi wa kira desu" even occur?

there's the famous "watashi wa L desu" line in the university but that's it?

even when Light admitted to it, he used boku and not watashi right?

What about Misa's tapes?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:

That very immature thinking. Are you in the minds of these people? To be blunt TV and media can trigger mental problems. Stop thinking that someone is always trying to ruin something for you.

Most reasonable people can see there's a dif between an unbalanced person doing a copycat-type thing, although the sensationalists love pointing to stuff like this as an excuse to sanitize the world.

I've been a fan of horror stories for as far back as I can remember. I haven't killed anyone yet.

Yeah, in the name of respecting the family (& covering their butts) I could see the Japanese stations pulling the other title until they figured where things stood (a week, wasn't it?), but this isn't even copycat considering the dissimilar methods of death.

I really hope this is a very poor joke (medical cadaver, bored college kid), but I doubt we'll be that lucky.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
phoenixphire24 wrote:
SIGH

This person is either totally crazy or trying to get attention. Why can't people ruin media that I don't like?
That very immature thinking. Are you in the minds of these people? To be blunt TV and media can trigger mental problems. Stop thinking that someone is always trying to ruin something for you.

They were being sarcastic. I'm sure this person isn't going, "oh, damn, somebody died, but who cares about that, now my anime is ruined." Please.
Ladymage Samiko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:52 pm Reply with quote
The one question I have is: where is the rest of the body going to show up?
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
REPENT FOR YOUR SINS NOW BEFORE KIRA GETS YOU!

Nah I'm just kidding. I'm really disliking these events in which anime is related. I would just hate to see the media bad mouthing such a great title like Death Note. Sure it seemed corrupt but never the less taught us a few things or too.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
This year has been crazy!!! Must be those new radiations making their way to earh because of the weak ozone layer
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
kurotsuki wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
i blame it on global warming !

Don't be silly, global warming doesn't exist in Belgium. There're no Democrats there.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
phoenixphire24 wrote:
SIGH

This person is either totally crazy or trying to get attention. Why can't people ruin media that I don't like?

Yes, I actually think this person is out to get Death Note because I watch it. Rolling Eyes

TV and media can influence people that already have mental problems, yes, but that person makes a choice to do the things they do, unless they're seriously mentally disturbed. If that's the case then they were bound to do something whether or not they were watching certain shows if they weren't getting help.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
People don't need any help finding sources of inspiration for sick behavior like this. If it hadn't been Death Note it'd have been something else. It's a horrible thing but someone capable of doing this would have done so with or without Death Note.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This year has been crazy!!!

You are quite right. I can't remember a single year before 2007 where so many industry and socially anime related incidents occurred with such close proximity to one another. Here it is, the final quarter of 2007, and so many controversies and shocking incidents have happened almost one after another. It's really quite intriguing once you reflect upon it all. And to think that the year hasn't even ended yet makes me even more curious of the future.
Koast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Here we go again, you get people going insane because of the anime and the manga and boom! Someone's dead and decapitated! It's so obivious that anime causes murder and such, can't people see that??! Yeah right, damnit people, stop smoking the pot! You see, people smoke the pot, then they read the manga and get inspired and go out and do the killing, and are like "It wasn't me! It was Ryuk and the jello pudding!" But seriously, The only country that has to worry about Death Note is possibly Belgium I would think.. but I don't know anything about that countries politics. It's just a convenient scape goat, but then again there was no mention in the article about people going insane about Death Note anyway.. so I wouldn't start worrying Yet.. Until maybe news about this story is shown on CNN or FOX news..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7