• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Japanese TV Station Removes Nymphet from Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah right....like there was a chance in hell that it would get licensed in the states. I have a better chance of becoming a Shinigami
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Besides,if would hurt Nymphet more if they did somehow air the show. Then if would be more public pressure to have it banned the them thing. So,be lucky you have the choice to stream the show on the internet or buy the DVDs and manga.
Lost_Toys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The television station does not have an obligation to air whatever material is handed to them. It's not a violation of your free speech rights if Fox News doesn't air your youtube video of you dancing around naked screaming swear words.

No, but Fox did not come into your house, hand you a contract and go "we are going to air this in two months on Tuesday". They then retract the contract because of some pressure.

I have nothing against a broadcaster deciding not to air upfront, but to slot in a show then decide "whoops, but retract it" bankrupts the credibility of their operation.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Lost_Toys wrote:

No, but Fox did not come into your house, hand you a contract and go "we are going to air this in two months on Tuesday". They then retract the contract because of some pressure.

I have nothing against a broadcaster deciding not to air upfront, but to slot in a show then decide "whoops, but retract it" bankrupts the credibility of their operation.

I don't think you understand how broadcasting works.

The station does not HAVE to air content it deems objectionable. If a studio comes to the network and says "We have this show about an 8-year old with a crush on her teacher" and then you deliver a show chock-full of panty shots, nudity, and mountains of sexual innuendo, the station has every right to say "Uh, hell no."

It may "bankrupt the credibility" of their network in your eyes but you're likely in the minority.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Yeah right....like there was a chance in hell that it would get licensed in the states. I have a better chance of becoming a Shinigami

Techincally it did get liscened...(manga portion) then a idiot company caved to pressure like a chick and her football playing boyfriend on prom night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ZaWarudo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was interesting that they're going to stream it for free on the web.

Don't they realize they're devaluing their copyrighted material and now no one will ever buy the DVDs since they can watch it for free?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

This isn't censorship. Nobody is censoring anything. The station made a decision not to broadcast material they didn't approve of. That's just a business decision.

To be frank, I'm surprised anyone is actually shocked that there's a backlash against this kind of material. It's controversial to say the very least, and it's been growing in popularity among Japan's otaku culture for a while now. The show that finally pushes it too far gets yanked for pushing it too far, and everyone screams and cries about censorship and free speech?

The television station does not have an obligation to air whatever material is handed to them. It's not a violation of your free speech rights if Fox News doesn't air your youtube video of you dancing around naked screaming swear words.

Um yes it is censorship. Censorship is just a group (in this case the TV station) not allowing something to be aired or read. A lot of times books are banned from libraries and schools. That is also censorship. You can still buy the books just like you can still buy the DVDs of Kodomo no Jikan. It doesn't change the fact that the TV station decided to censor the program (probably because they were afraid of public pressure)

Notice how I did not say that the station does not have a right to censor Kodomo no Jikan. I was not talking about rights at all. I am well aware that the TV stations in Japan are in their right that does not mean I have to approve of their decision. I am against censorship of any kind unless the material is illegal (even if I personally dislike and disapprove of the material which is the case with Kodomo no Jikan). I am assuming that Kodomo no Jikan is not illegal in Japan.

Anyways this is a discussion of censorship from ALA. It mainly pertains to books and US law but this is what I based my definition of the word censorship on:

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/basics/intellectual.htm#ifpoint3
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Lost_Toys wrote:
Zac wrote:

The network probably set guidelines that needed to be met for the show to air. Obviously,these guidelines were not met. So,the network made a business decision and canned the show. Mine point being that the studio have probably have prior knowledge that if they did not meet the guidelines the show would get canned.
Case

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
Man, it really must be bad if even the Japanese won't even show it, considering what else has been shown there.

Keyword: HAS.

People love to compare current American media controls, ala the Superbowl 38 "wardrobe malfunction" to Fahrenheit 451... Seems like Japan is going in the very same direction.

Ten years ago TV networks broadcast shows like Sailor Moon - largely a kids program - unoffended to show naked bodies on television with minor coloration changes. And Dragonball Z and Crayon Shin-Chan with genitalia and other things that were sometimes called subjectively offensive to Americans. It was a refreshingly loose take on the power of sex and violence in media.

Today they're censoring TV broadcasts right and left, for content that was deemed acceptable less than a decade ago. It started a few years ago with Elfen Lied and Girls Bravo and it seems to be spreading. In the last two months we've heard about censorship or cancellation of Moetan, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, School Days, and now Nymphet.

Is this the necessary end result of being "civilized"?

Zac wrote:
To be frank, I'm surprised anyone is actually shocked that there's a backlash against this kind of material. It's controversial to say the very least, and it's been growing in popularity among Japan's otaku culture for a while now. The show that finally pushes it too far gets yanked for pushing it too far, and everyone screams and cries about censorship and free speech?

And you wonder why I can never stop ranting about anti-moe sentiment on ANN. I can't say as I've ever heard a staff member talking about how "controversial to say the least" axe murder is and how _that_ has been "growing in popularity among Japan's otaku culture for a while now". The language is totally biased in favor of a particular ethical stance that may or may not even be involved in the conversation topic at hand.

Last edited by Case on Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'd be a little curious to see exactly what ratings Nymphet was pulling down on this station before it was cancelled. Who knows? It may have been underperforming on this network as compared to the other networks mentioned in this thread that continue to air the show.

Everyone is jumping up and down screaming "Censorship" before we have any concrete evidence that there weren't other financial or contractual considerations. What show is replacing Nymphet in its timeslot? Are there other shows similar to Nymphet on this network? Are other shows like Nymphet also being cancelled?

Jumping to conclusions and hollering like a bunch of twelve-year olds who were told they still need a babysitter isn't going to actually get to the bottom of this. The fact of the matter is that the network cancelled Nymphet, the network doesn't want to tell us why they cancelled Nymphet, and the network has no obligation to tell us why they cancelled Nymphet.

Welcome to private enterprise.
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I'd be a little curious to see exactly what ratings Nymphet was pulling down on this station before it was cancelled. Who knows? It may have been underperforming on this network as compared to the other networks mentioned in this thread that continue to air the show.

Everyone is jumping up and down screaming "Censorship" before we have any concrete evidence that there weren't other financial or contractual considerations. What show is replacing Nymphet in its timeslot? Are there other shows similar to Nymphet on this network? Are other shows like Nymphet also being cancelled?

Jumping to conclusions and hollering like a bunch of twelve-year olds who were told they still need a babysitter isn't going to actually get to the bottom of this. The fact of the matter is that the network cancelled Nymphet, the network doesn't want to tell us why they cancelled Nymphet, and the network has no obligation to tell us why they cancelled Nymphet.

Welcome to private enterprise.

It is my understanding that the show has not aired yet. It wasn't canceled, instead it's broadcast is being pulled before it even starts. This leads me to believe that it's a content issue, not a ratings issue as there are none yet.
NightOption

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Zac wrote:

This isn't censorship. Nobody is censoring anything. The station made a decision not to broadcast material they didn't approve of. That's just a business decision.

Um yes it is censorship. Censorship is just a group (in this case the TV station) not allowing something to be aired or read. A lot of times books are banned from libraries and schools. That is also censorship. You can still buy the books just like you can still buy the DVDs of Kodomo no Jikan. It doesn't change the fact that the TV station decided to censor the program (probably because they were afraid of public pressure)

Now, what would be the solution to stop this case of censorship? Force the TV station to air something on their network? You see the problem with this? The communication channel belongs to the TV station, and if the owners of that channel can't determine what their channel will and won't broadcast....well you get the idea. Refusing to speak on someone else's behalf is not censorship.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Case wrote:

And you wonder why I can never stop ranting about anti-moe sentiment on ANN. I can't say as I've ever heard a staff member talking about how "controversial to say the least" axe murder is and how _that_ has been "growing in popularity among Japan's otaku culture for a while now". The language is totally biased in favor of a particular ethical stance that may or may not even be involved in the conversation topic at hand.

Well, you're basically ranting about the injustice of the fact that you and I don't agree on the subject at all. That "bias" you're talking about never makes it into the news or the encyclopedia, the two places with no room for personal opinion. You basically complain that I don't like moe and I express that, and somehow there's something super-duper wrong with that.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Dude, That's wrong...a 9 year old "having a crush" and "putting a sexual attitude" towards an older teacher...That's wrong. period Wrong...

I know that there is freedom of speech and all that ghey stuff but I dont know how stupid people can be putting an ANIME out of this infamous manga and all this, the manga and anime, should be burned to the ground, children should be children and sexuality or "romantic love" should not be discovered by 8-12 year old kids yet, they dont know what it is!! if a twisted manga creator puts the mind of a 25 year old slut into a 9 year old children body, no matter what the character does, it will be, or is supposed to be accepted by the audience, and that suggest you that if the teacher is willing to do anything, it will be ok since the kid is consenting too.

and the defenders of this anime are using the argument of "ha, is funny because of the situations that brings" but is suggestive and under the child's rights of UNICEF, children should be protected under any cirscumstances, and this is one of these instances.

The show is aimed at adults but as an adult, I realize kids shouln't be put in this situations.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote
NightOption wrote:

Now, what would be the solution to stop this case of censorship? Force the TV station to air something on their network? You see the problem with this? The communication channel belongs to the TV station, and if the owners of that channel can't determine what their channel will and won't broadcast....well you get the idea. Refusing to speak on someone else's behalf is not censorship.

Well schools are also in their right to ban books because they find the material objectionable. A museum has every right not to display an objectionable piece of art. That doesn't mean I have to agree with these decisions. It's just my opinion, and I did not say the TV Station should be forced to air the material. What is the solution?

If people are against this they should share their opinions with the network. If people can speak out against the show being aired then obviously people can speak out against the show being canceled. This might accomplish nothing but it could also affect the network's decisions in the future.

Yes I realize my posts on ANN will not amount to a thing. I don't live in Japan so my opinions mean squat. However that doesn't mean Japanese citizens cannot voice their opinions. Whether they do or not is up to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10