• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Santaman! [2007-12-21]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
I'm a college age anime fan and I love older anime, mostly because of the character designs. I'm in love with Slayers. Sometimes I find new anime to be TOO sleek and shiny.

Also, I've never played any of the Final Fantasy games. Is that strange?
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
I'm a college age anime fan and I love older anime, mostly because of the character designs. I'm in love with Slayers. Sometimes I find new anime to be TOO sleek and shiny.

Also, I've never played any of the Final Fantasy games. Is that strange?

Depends on who you talk too. For instance I sometimes get the feeling that I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like Final Fantasy at all. I think there are about ten of us in the whole world who don't play it. I've tried but I just can't get into it. If I want to play a really good RPG I'll stick with The Elder Scrolls.

I'm a bit skeptical on how the live action DBZ is going to be pulled off. I'll still go see it though. However I do agree with Zac about Speed Racer looking awesome. But the best movie news (not anime related) is that peter Jackson and New Line resolved their differences and are making The Hobbit. Woohoo! Very Happy

Merry Christmas to everyone and God Bless Y'all.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I think the DB movie would look pretty neat if they filmed it like Beowulf where the actors were all motion captured and then translated into "computer people." It would be a nice blend of cartoon and live action. I like most of the actors they've got on board, but it comes down to the look of the movie and what plot they go with.

kyokun703 wrote:
To me cosplay is cosplay. Sure, at anime cons, I like to see anime cosplay, but if someone wants to dress up as Jack Sparrow, and they do a decent job of it, I'm not going to be all elitist and say, What a dumba$$, doesn't he realize this is an ANIME con? If it's good, I'll just take their picture and move on. There's always a Jack Sparrow, and odd Stormtrooper or two, plus some Metal Gear people. At AX there were a ton of Warcraft tier armor sets that were pretty neat, and I wish I had taken more pictures.

The funniest thing my friend saw once was a bunch of Trekkies at a Renaissance Faire pretending they had beamed down on a primitive planet.

I do admit the FF cosplayers seem to be over done (sometimes I feel like I'm at an FF con, not an anime con), but oh well.

I agree. I'd rather see well done FF cosplay than a bunch of people wearing Naruto head bands and acting like that's cosplay. Confused
Roy9076

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
A lot of games are easily can be recognized into the anime fandom. Hell, if the game looks "anime" enough (cell shading) then the anime fanbase will accept it. A lot of the gaming fandom also like anime and vice versa. Both games and anime relate to each other and of course not strange to see gaming fans in anime conventions. Same thing as anime fans into gaming conventions. Both "relate." Also favorite Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy IX.

I watch a balance of different anime, but I prefer watching the older shows. Currently finding DVDs on some older shows, but that proves harder to do than importing them from Japan. Anyways, currently enjoying Astro Boy on [Adult Swim].

Skeptical about the movie. We'll see. Speed Racer though looks to be the must watch! I really am interested on watching it!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as most new releases seem to be either moe, or loli com dressed as moe, or fanservice laden buckets of chicken breasts, I can see a lot more classics wanting to be dusted off for general re-release.
Treetastic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember Last Order being bundles with Advent Children. I know it was bundled with the re-release of the actual game. Not that I wouldn't like to see it if it is on my DVD of Advent Children. Wink
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Treetastic wrote:
I don't remember Last Order being bundles with Advent Children. I know it was bundled with the re-release of the actual game. Not that I wouldn't like to see it if it is on my DVD of Advent Children. Wink

It's on the Special Edition set. This one.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
The Anime Classics line seems to be on the right track. Hopefully, they'll license some old shoujo so I can try it out. And I'm quite proud to have Rose of Versailles on my AoD "Please License" list. Razz

My favorite Final Fantasy is FFVI. Opera floozies rules! Very Happy

I second this request. Please someone license Rose of Versailles.

I think it would be great for a sub only maybe two box-set release.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Gah, that was the most adorable picture of cats ever...

I involuntarily squealed

I am too old to be doing that. Rolling Eyes

Glad the writers block is over, hope the depression is as well.
Merry Christmas.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
AWO:
Quote:
Regarding the reason nobody except a teeny tiny group of screaming psychopaths will even consider watching classic anime: Zac's reason is correct. The art--specifically, the character designs--looks "too old," and so people don't care.

I think it has to do with marketing more than anything else. Otherwise, Animeigo would've gone the way of CPM and Geneon.

Quote:
Surely if so many fans truly believed that, then they wouldn't mind tracking down and watching (for example) Space Pirate Captain Harlock, one of the poster children for "slow-moving, old-looking space operas" if there ever was one. But I don't need to tell anyone here that hardly anybody outside of the few people on the Corn Pone Flicks mailing list even has Captain Harlock on their radar.

That has more to do with Toei being a bitch of a company than the fans themselves. The Harlock spin-offs are technically for people who are already familiar with the series, which is why they do so badly. If this shit was released properly in the first place, it would do better. Even if it looked older, for example, it would have helped people become more familiar with the series if Geneon released Lupin series 1. And it would've been less expensive for them in the long run. But they had to pay for a series they couldn't finish, and now the rest of us fans are screwed. Anyway, if fans can buy into series which spoof these titles, like Excel Saga, then that must mean they might have some interest in the originals. Plus if they're willing to play old-ass looking NES games on the VC, why would anime be any tougher for them to watch?

Anyway, FFIX was ok, but Xenogears, DQ7, Lunar 1, and probably that port of Grandia, were better. FF7 was disappointing when it came out, and Wild Arms and Suikoden were the only rpgs back then which were awesome.

prime:
Quote:

Just ask yourself: how would you imagine a Super Mario Brothers live action film to be like?

It probably should look like a bigger-budget version of that show with Captain Lou. Or at least Ron Jeremy....

Rolling Eyes

todd:
Quote:
Pre-2000 anime fans were typically social retards with narrow interests and far too much free time, while modern anime fans are typically 14-year-olds who don't really have the schedules or motivation to hunt down Captain Harlock vs. The American Occupation (aka Arcadia of My Youth).

As a pre-2000 anime fan, I feel owned by that comment. Crying or Very sad

Zero:
Quote:
For a general idea of how the fight scenes in DB could look, rewatch Matrix 3.

More like Matrix 2, since that one had Keanu as Goku.

Berserk: I'm just Final Fantasie'd out myself.

phoenix: If it looked like Beowulf, it'd take forever for them to get to the action scenes. But then I guess that would make it faithful to the anime. Rolling Eyes
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
There's a small fragment inside of me that isn't dead which refuses to accept that the prevailing mindset of anime fandom is the same as the cast/fans of Bratz. This despite the mountain of evidence demonstrating it to be the case. Now I know what fanaticism feels like.

I think it's more along the lines of self delusion actually, join the club. Though I find it harder and harder to have any "faith" in the current anime fandom as it is now. I think though most of these "new fans" in regards here do mean what they say. They do love the classics. The problem is, what their definition of a classic is and the age of said classic. It seems today for many of them classic means only 2-5 years old, being closer to about 3 years. I think the definition and heart of what a "classic" is got lost in translation somewhere. To them the first season of FMP is an old classic, and not say something like Patlabor or Mobile Suit Gundam. I also tend to think many newer fans also lack a real ability to determine what is worthy of being considered a classic. If it has some sort of fighting oriented action and either boobs/bishie men then it's a classic. I agree many probably say they like classics to sound cool or hip and "with it", and delude themselves into thinking they're an actual well rounded fan and not shallow, but I think many just simply have a different idea of what classic should mean. And by the way, simply being old (the show) doesn't simply mean classic either. In that case MD Geist and Genocyber would be classics as well.

toddc wrote:
But it's also a matter of spare time. Today's anime fans are far more likely to have networks of friends and hobbies that, shockingly, have nothing to do with anime. Pre-2000 anime fans were typically social retards with narrow interests and far too much free time, while modern anime fans are typically 14-year-olds who don't really have the schedules or motivation to hunt down Captain Harlock vs. The American Occupation (aka Arcadia of My Youth). They just want to watch Bleach or InuYasha or Cowboy Bebop.

So which category do you fit in hmmmm? Wink
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I think most people have forgotten this already, or were too young to have even heard of it, but Super Mario Brothers was actually the FIRST ever video game movie ever made in 1993, starring Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo as the brothers, some actress as Princess Daisy (instead of Peach), and Dennis Hopper as King Koopa. So there's the joke, for anyone who missed it. It cost 42 million dollars to make, and, needless to say, it tanked (revenue to this day is slightly less than half). Bob Hoskins hilariously calls it a "F***in' nightmare" and the husband-wife directors "F***'in idiots." Just this August in The Guardian. Go ahead, look it up. I'll wait.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, you know...

Up until now, I never realized that the title for Ragnarök had the 'ö' instead of just 'o'. Odd...

Cute cat picture.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I really love both older and newer series the same, in fact I really don't think the age of a particular series should have anything to do with whether or not it's good. But I don't know, maybe that's because of the fact that I've been an anime fan since I was 12, so I've seen most of these "older" series, despite the fact that there still is a lot of 'em I'd like to try out. The top ones I can think of are Slayers and Fist of the North Star, and Rahxephon, at least as long as it counts as an older series anyways, I'm not sure. Wink A lot of newer ones I want to try as well. At the same time, a lot of older ones are on my favorites like DB/Z, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ronin Warriors, most of the older Gundam series, Trigun, while a lot of the newer ones like FMA, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, ect. are up there as well. Really, I don't see any reason at all to put much emphasis on an actual age of a series to determine it's quality. Maybe as far as animation quality is concerned, but that's about it.

As far as the DB movie is concerned, I'm with the crew that really believes we need to wait and see before we determine whether or not it'll be good, but at the same time I don't think it'd be to out there to think it could translate well anyways. I mean, like, half the Marvel movies out there would've looked ridiculous on the big screen had the actual art style been captured. That's why they did they're best to create they're own style while still capturing what the series were all about. And that's exactly what I think they could and should do with DB. Really, it doesn't matter what it looks like, so long as the characters and story and basic feel of the series is captured well.

EDIT: On Final Fantasy, well, first of all, let people cosplay as whatever they want to cosplay. Who really cares if it's at an anime con or not? I mean really, where else are you going to cosplay as an FF character? Wink Second of all, I swear, everytime..... I mean, I personally think Naruto is one of the best, if not the best shounen series out there, while most everyone else thinks it's pretty good, but not nearly as good as a whole bunch of other titles I think are really great, just not quite as good as Naruto. I think Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed are the best Gundam series out there, yet others either only think it's okay but not as good as a whole bunch of others I think are pretty good, but not as good as GW and SEED, or hate them altogether. Looks like that trend is continuing into FF! Laughing Everyone seems to think FF7 is good, but not as good as 9 and 6 or whatever, wheras I think FF7 is the best, although this time Laughing I actually have 6 up there as my #2 behind 7, with 10 at #3. So are my tastes just wack or what? Wink I have to say though, I didn't really like 9 all that much from what I played of it. Probably needed to play more if it or something, 'cause I just wasn't interested enough in it to continue. But, it's all about personal preferences I guess.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
i love that cat zomg
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4