• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
The kingdom was effectively run by the two princesses while the king was sick. Fam mentioned this shortly after reading the news about the peace treaty in the first episode. As such, it was not necessary for spoiler[the king to evacuate. He likely wanted to stay to lead his soldiers personally--the king's personal bravery and presence would have a large effect in a society that accepts its monarchy as well as Turan seems to.] Far from describing that turn of events as spoiler[tragedy for its own sake, I find it a perfectly believable setup for the final defense of their home land. I doubt the king stayed, knowing that the Exile would destroy them.]

On that last note, I should mention that spoiler[Luscinia spoke to Milia as if the people of Turan returned on one of the Exiles. Given his calm reaction on the Exile's attack and that Liliana is its key, I suspect that the royal family of Turan knows the secret of the Exiles.]

On the subject of the Exiles, I took the ending of the first Last Exile to mean spoiler[the planet's climate drastically improved after the permanent storm caused by the Exile lifted. Thus, it wouldn't have been necessary for the people of Prester to resettle on Earth.] This seems to fit with the idea that spoiler[Prester's Exile contained only an expedition, which would explain why we see Tatiana, Alister, and Alvis but not Claus and Lavie. It does beg the question of how Dio got there though.]

By the way, Luscinia and Alauda both physically resemble Guild people, and the fighter Alauda used in episode 2 and his uniform certainly is reminiscent of the Guild rather than the current spoiler[Earth technology.] In the flashback in episode 1, Luscinia appears to be wearing a Guild uniform as well. Judging by Dio's reaction, I do not think it's just a resemblance like the case with Tatiana. I wonder what the deal is there.
TG72

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:39 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

Okay, you got me there. I haven't watched it all the way through in a while. But clearly they were a lot more discreet the last time around.

As for episode 2...this is what I was hoping for from this show. Edge-of-your-seat action, top-notch visuals and character development. I'm hooked now.

Looking at the opening credits again, I can't believe I missed spoiler[Alvis popping up in the field in the final seconds. Given the way epi 2 ended, she's sure to play a key part later on ]
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:41 am Reply with quote
I haven't rewatched Last Exile in quite some time. As a result, I've started watching this series and judging it as if it were a standalone series, as if the first season had never happened. I'm finding that it's a lot easier to be subjective that way.

The people having issues with the service, I can understand that viewpoint. At the same time though, this series has so, so, so, so much more to offer thus far; going on the defensive from the off coz there was a girl in her undies is a bit close-minded. It's not even tasteless service (though I'm sure someone will helpfully point out there is no other kind), not overtly sexual. Was it necessary? That's debatable, but I certainly didn't let it take anything away from my enjoyment of what is the best looking anime this season... And that's by a long shot too.

The first two episodes have reminded me what I loved about the first season. Epic airship battles and amazing set pieces, and we're only on episode two. I think that's as sure a signal as any as to which direction this is going to take. Gonzo have pulled out all the stops here (again) and the production values show. The story has hit the ground running as well. I see this one has been scheduled for another 19 episodes. I, for one, can't wait.

Seriously, if you're still hung up on the service after episode two, you've completely missed the point.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:

Seriously, if you're still hung up on the service after episode two, you've completely missed the point.

I do not think anyone made this argument a main point of what they said, and as a matter of fact, no one as far as I look back said the series was bad because of this one scene. The point was- in an otherwise quite good first episode, this very first scene which in one way or another is supposed to create some (hopefully good) first impressions, this scene was pointless.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
How so? What I took away from it was that Fam is so at home in the skies, she manages to inadvertently go bungee jumping whilst still half asleep. I didn't fixate on what she was wearing (Or not wearing, as the case may be) because it was irrelevant. This first scene establishes how comfortable Fam is being airborne. I don't think that was pointless at all.

My post was just a reaction to the fact any fuss has been raised over it whatsoever, it's a bit unnecessary in my (humble) opinion.
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
I didn't fixate on what she was wearing (Or not wearing, as the case may be) because it was irrelevant.

Perhaps, but barring the opening credits, we see Fam's panties before we're shown her face.

dirkusbirkus wrote:
I don't think [the scene] was pointless at all.

I have no issue with the scene itself, only its placement. If it occured in the middle of the episode, say after capturing the ship, I may not have even mentioned it.

dirkusbirkus wrote:
My post was just a reaction to the fact any fuss has been raised over it whatsoever, it's a bit unnecessary in my (humble) opinion.

I agree, because that scene really seems a one-off now. The first couple of episodes have really been action-packed and a lot of fun. Watching Fam fly her spoiler[vespa through the air ducts of the enemy ship was awesome]. I was surprised by the series spoiler[having more exiles]. Are all spoiler[6 of those moons exiles], I wonder?
zaeris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
How so? What I took away from it was that Fam is so at home in the skies, she manages to inadvertently go bungee jumping whilst still half asleep. I didn't fixate on what she was wearing (Or not wearing, as the case may be) because it was irrelevant. This first scene establishes how comfortable Fam is being airborne. I don't think that was pointless at all.

I believe we might be getting to an age where any amount of skin shown or not shown lol, is consider fanservice. Bearing in mind the OP are usually irrelevant to how the story can proceed, misleading even but certainly are just OP, animated to entertain the audiences.

Magipoka a classic example where the OP is just fluff.

nothing can be more misleading... ^^,,

but I believe it is consider normal for people to be half naked when sleeping, so in this case we have fam sleep walking to a point where she mistaken her room.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
So it's episode 2, and HOLY CRAP spoiler[SOMEONE JUST DEORBITED A MOON]. I have this terrible feeling now that they've used up most of the budget on those first two episodes, and the rest of the show is going to have to be a slice-of-life comedy. Smile

Did anyone else notice that the princesses spoiler[have pointed ears like Dio, Luscinia, and Luscinia's buddy? It didn't look like their father did. Was their mother from the Guild]?

The thing I'm dying to know is, spoiler[how did Dio get from going totally insane and falling out of his ship in the Grand Stream to being on Prester? I only ever saw the edited dubbed version of Last Exile that aired on G4-- did they cut out something showing Dio getting picked up by the Exile ship?]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
The thing I'm dying to know is, spoiler[how did Dio get from going totally insane and falling out of his ship in the Grand Stream to being on Prester? I only ever saw the edited dubbed version of Last Exile that aired on G4-- did they cut out something showing Dio getting picked up by the Exile ship?]

Nope. Dio's survival is only barely hinted at in the first series. I think he snaps back to reality after realizing Lucciola is not in the vanship with him. Dio's Wikipedia entry (not the greatest of sources, I know) mentions his voice being heard in the Silvana's engine room after his fall, and this piece of official artwork, which would occur after the main cast's trip on the Exile. So, it was always a big question mark until the new series brought him back.
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Interesting new angle to things with the character Agusta and the history of Turan. I'm wondering if she's completely aware of what Luscina is doing?

The Grand Race sounds promising. Maybe we'll get to see Claus and Lavie for that (fingers crossed)
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
To me, it sounds like the spoiler[loli empress is well aware of their general plan, judging by the reports of conquest she was being given, though it is plausible that the generals are downplaying the atrocities they are committing in their war to acquire Lebensraum.]

Kind of bored by the character centric episode, but at least Millia appears to have grown some. She was getting to the point of being annoying, so I'm glad for the quick character development.

Next episode has some interesting stuff in store: spoiler[Looks like the Sylvius will be making an appearance, judging by the end of ep 3 and the shot of its crew. There's a new sound officer, or Wina is not a meganekko. Either way, it's good. We also might see a dog fight between Fam and Tatiana, from the last screen.] I wonder who would be better. Dio seems better than Fam, from the first episode, but I got the impression that only Claus was better than Dio.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
OK, so I'm very confused about a couple of things here...

Regarding the timeline: In the third episode, the Empress Augusta, the Ades Prince and a few others are talking about the Turans spoiler[ having come back to the present world on the Exile from the Prestar (world of the original series) 118 years ago. This would make Dio very old indeed. There is also one other apparent full blooded Guild member, Alauda. He even has the Guild mark on his forehead. The two seemed to recognize each other as well. The age thing could be explained by the guild race being long lived, but why then would they all grow up except for Dio, who is obviously still a teenager? Hmm. Dio also mentions that "Sophia and your King said I can do what I like." That would imply that the two were contemporaries, unless they both told him that separately for some reason. The king didn't look quite that old. Maybe he meant a prior King? Of course, we don't know for sure that any of these people have normal human lifespans. Maybe they all live to 200. That still doesn't explain why Dio never grows up]

Regarding the Prince of Ades and the Turan Princess' pointy ears: spoiler[Did the original inhabitants like the Ades have pointy ears and the immigrants from Disith and Antoray eventual lose them during the long separation from their homeland? The Princess' are immigrants from Prestar too, so are they descendants of Marius Bassianus, thus of Guild descent?]
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
We see in episode 2 that spoiler[one of the six shards of the moon is an Exile.] It is therefore not far-fetched to assume that spoiler[the other five moons are also Exiles.] In episode 3, the Ades Federation is spoiler[continuing to drive outer other returnees from other countries.] From these facts, we can safely conclude that spoiler[there are many different Exiles sending refugees to other worlds, and they returned at different times. Prester is merely one of these worlds. The inhabitants of countries that are at war with Ades are returnees on different Exiles. Hence, the Prester Exile is called the Last Exile. Hence, Dio need not be over 100 years old.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Look at it another way. spoiler[If the "Exile" immigrants had only arrived within the last couple of years, how did they create such large civilisations with their cities, buildings, culture and battleships, in such a short time? My theory is that the people from the first series are the most recent returnees, the last of the six "Exile" moons, you could say.]

Edit: Raftina posted while I was drafting my post. We're pretty much saying the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TG72

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote
It seems that the Federation princess is named Sara, and "Agusta" is her title: http://myanimelist.net/character/49351/Sara

The story they told her about Turan could be a lie so she'll go along with their plans...maybe they even killed her parents to make it happen?

Dio spoiler[is probably acting as a scout for the Sylvanus and is about to test and recruit Fam.]That would mean next time we'll see spoiler[Tatiana and/or Alister]. Can't wait!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15