• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Run 52 More Episodes of Bleach

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:
Since I'm more of an anime guy than a manga guy, what's filler? It's new to me...

Basically, it's anime only material added in when the story in the anime is about to catch up with the story in the manga to give the manga-ka more time to get farther ahead. If you run into any story arcs or episodes in an anime you watch that you know is based off of a manga series that has absolutely nothing to do with the main story, that's filler.

Just to clarify on the whole subs vs. dubs thing since my comments partially started that whole argument up (I usually try to stay away from sub vs.dub debates altogether) I like both subs and dubs equally and I don't particularly hold one above the other.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Realistically, Japan has dubbed American shows in their native language when they air it on TV, so I just see no difference in why people complain about anime dubs being showed on TV in English.

>.>; I'm not worried about any fillers right now, I don't want anything skipped either, I want the full series, and I want to see it on AS. Just because everyone else saw it and didn't like it, why should people who haven't seen it have to "suffer?"
ultrapostman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
billyarnie wrote:
Since I'm more of an anime guy than a manga guy, what's filler? It's new to me...

Basically, it's anime only material added in when the story in the anime is about to catch up with the story in the manga to give the manga-ka more time to get farther ahead. If you run into any story arcs or episodes in an anime you watch that you know is based off of a manga series that has absolutely nothing to do with the main story, that's filler.

Important to remember imho is that filler is used to extend a series until more canon material can be produced, whereas if a series diverges completely from the manga and ends on its own, it's not filler. i have yet to see anime filler that can actually equal or surpass the canon material, so I understand when people complain about filler, but it annoys me when people criticize an anime for having a different storyline from the manga, even if the anime ending is superior, for example Eureka 7.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3