• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Animation Breaks Down 2011 Earnings by Franchise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:41 pm Reply with quote
This topic is still about Toei right? If you want to turn back time to an era where Miyazaki or Satoshi Kon would be involved with works from Toei it would be more than 10 years ago. Just saiyan.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I understand that. I was just making a joke about the people who keep saying that Japanese animation is worse now than it was 10 years ago, and how we only get clichéd shows now. Sailor moon is nearly 15 years old, so that obviously isn't true. Toei actually seems to be the vanguard of children's cartoons in many ways and that hasn't changed over the decades they have been in business.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Though to be fair, at the same time Japan also de-powers them such as by constantly being victims of unwanted voyeur shots.

While I disagree and think fanservice isn't a problem at all (let alone an absurd claim that it 'de-powers' someone, it's a rather moot point since PreCure generally has none, so it's not really an issue here anyway.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Though to be fair, at the same time Japan also de-powers them such as by constantly being victims of unwanted voyeur shots.

While I disagree and think fanservice isn't a problem at all (let alone an absurd claim that it 'de-powers' someone, it's a rather moot point since PreCure generally has none, so it's not really an issue here anyway.

Oh, we agree there's no problem with fanservice, but there's a difference between fanservice (kinda like going to the public park intentionally showing off your assets) and unwanted voyeur shots (getting your assets shown off in ways you didn't want, ergo "victims"). Though the latter can at times be fun for us here too; difference is we don't deny it's chauvinistic pig-isms. Laughing
Anymouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:53 am Reply with quote
Well, some women may find that politically neutral rather than Chauvinistic.
Relairknight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
It's amazing that One Piece is so popular. It is one of the most boring and ridiculous show's I've ever watched, and I gave it more than a fair shake. Watched 2 or 3 arcs hoping it'd get better but its just more of the same.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:17 am Reply with quote
Relairknight wrote:
It's amazing that One Piece is so popular. It is one of the most boring and ridiculous show's I've ever watched, and I gave it more than a fair shake. Watched 2 or 3 arcs hoping it'd get better but its just more of the same.
Sadly this is the usual course taken by the majority of Shounen Jump titles. This is how they keep these series, that are well past their use-by date, fresh for the guppies to nibble on, by regurging and repackaging the same old rusk. Guppies allegedly have very short memories. Wink
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Relairknight wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion and all that jazz, but One Piece is hardly even boring.
You probably didn't stick around long enough to see any of the better arcs, or weren't more open-minded.
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sadly this is the usual course taken by the majority of Shounen Jump titles. This is how they keep these series, that are well past their use-by date, fresh for the guppies to nibble on, by regurging and repackaging the same old rusk. Guppies allegedly have very short memories. Wink

While One Piece is a shonen, and will, of course, follow common shonen traits, it, more or less, has the most creative, imaginative, well-established story and plot in current shonen titles.
It's way above the standard, cardboard cut-out, everyday shonen.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

While One Piece is a shonen, and will, of course, follow common shonen traits, it, more or less, has the most creative, imaginative, well-established story and plot in current shonen titles.
It's way above the standard, cardboard cut-out, everyday shonen.
There are exceptions of course. 'Tis the reason I stated "majority" and not "all". However, having said that, one could comprehend that "above the standard" as meaning the author is better at repackaging then his counter parts, but again if it means he is not only able to gain a new audience, but also keeps his originals captivated as well he's done his week's work and deserves his recompence for it. Wink
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
And considering that the demographics of the people who purchase the One Piece manga volumes in Japan are by far mostly adults, it is certain that Oda and One Piece deserve its earnings.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
It was nice to actually hear some good news, as opposed to seeing figures that mark sharp declines in foreign licensing. Interestingly, we've been talking about companies trying to find ways to combat scanlation sites domestically, and while I am not saying these Toei figures are necessarily corrected, I thought it was interesting that this news came around the same time that the NHK World TV service actually aired a story about the fact that publishers are looking at new distribution methods.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/english/movie/feature201111011123.html
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
While One Piece is a shonen, and will, of course, follow common shonen traits, it, more or less, has the most creative, imaginative, well-established story and plot in current shonen titles. It's way above the standard, cardboard cut-out, everyday shonen.

Figures someone with a Luffy Avatar would say that. Heh. It's just as standard as cardboard cut out as other shounen, only you like it so you can't really see it's faults. It copies so much from Dragonball and does so many 'safe' shounen tropes that to deny that would be just blind fanboyism.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Figures someone with a Luffy Avatar would say that. Heh. It's just as standard as cardboard cut out as other shounen, only you like it so you can't really see it's faults. It copies so much from Dragonball and does so many 'safe' shounen tropes that to deny that would be just blind fanboyism.

Lol, so because I have a Luffy avatar and I'm defending One Piece, also means I'm a fanboy? lol, interesting logic there.
This series is nowhere near being a carboard cut out series. A majority of the characters, main and minor, have vastly different designs, the world is ever growing and huge, and the main plot revolvng around the Void Century, the One Piece, the World Goverment is more complex than most shonen out there.
As for the faults, it has very few. Every series has its own, individual faults. I don't think One Piece is a perfect series(because there's no such thing), but it's minor faults are nearly irrelevant and don't ruin the overall story.
And since when did Oda being influenced from Dragonball mean that he was copying from it and ripping it off? Are you serious?
One Piece is similar to Dragonball, but it is very, very different overall. You seem to be under the impression that a series having a few shonen tropes is a bad thing. When a manga is created into a shonen demographic, it's obvious it's going to have shonen tropes. That doesn't mean it can't be original, interesting or creative enough that it sticks out from all the other series in the barrel.
Amibite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Relairknight wrote:

The bulk of the series is "Luffy arrives on island, Luffy beats bad guy on that island, Luffy sails away to the next island" It's not until around before the time skip it really changes up the formula, and even then it's a very repetitive series, but I guess that's the formula that's popular in Japan. They play it very predictable and safe compared to other series, which I find more interesting like Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, Konjiki no Gash, etc. I've really hated 'idiot' shounen protagonists who only like to fight like Luffy and Goku, but they always seem to be the most popular ones in Japan.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Everything's repetitive when you break it down to such simplistic standards like that. It's a shonen series. There's going to be many villains that the main protagonist will fight. That's nothing new.
The creativity and imagination starts kicks when we learn about each individual island, the inhabitants, how they relate to the world and their culture.
And since the OP world is mostly composed of islands, you don't really expect Luffy to become the Pirate King by just staying on one island through out the entire series, do you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4