• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: North American Anime DVDs Were Down 20%+ in 2007

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Quote:
Fansubs... the part which discusses the responsibility for anime of free download/stream from end. The idiot of demon, so the shank?

Shank? For kicks I checked the dictionary and the only definition I could get besides anything long(handle, bone, leg, etc) or hitting a golf ball wrong was:

Quote:
shank of the evening, the main or best part of the evening: "Don't leave yet—it's just the shank of the evening."

Anime dvd sales were down, but aren't dvd sales generally going down? You can't count piracy out for anime sales dropping but, the same is true for regular tv/movies anyway. I was under the impression that the dvd had peaked and been dropping for sometime now.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:

Anime dvd sales were down, but aren't dvd sales generally going down? You can't count piracy out for anime sales dropping but, the same is true for regular tv/movies anyway. I was under the impression that the dvd had peaked and been dropping for sometime now.

DVD sales are down overall, but anime DVD sales fell earlier and harder. 2007 was the first year since the format was introduced in 1997 that overall DVDs sales were down, and they were only down less than 5%.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-01-07-dvd-sales-slippage_N.htm

However, anime DVD sales was already dropping year-to-year well before 2007, and the anime DVDs' 2007 drop alone is over 20%. From 2003 to 2007, the four-year drop is at least 40%.

There's a big difference between less than 5% and more than 20%. There's also a big difference with three years of slowly plateauing overall sales followed by small one-year drop, and four years of anime sales drops adding up to over 40%.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Zac wrote:
Quote:
Fansubs... the part which discusses the responsibility for anime of free download/stream from end. The idiot of demon, so the shank?

Shank? For kicks I checked the dictionary and the only definition I could get besides anything long(handle, bone, leg, etc) or hitting a golf ball wrong was:

Quote:
shank of the evening, the main or best part of the evening: "Don't leave yet—it's just the shank of the evening."
It's also the name of a sanitary china manufacturer that make urinals for public toilets here in the UK. Shanks.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:32 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Vortextk wrote:

DVD sales are down overall, but anime DVD sales fell earlier and harder. 2007 was the first year since the format was introduced in 1997 that overall DVDs sales were down, and they were only down less than 5%.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-01-07-dvd-sales-slippage_N.htm

However, anime DVD sales was already dropping year-to-year well before 2007, and the anime DVDs' 2007 drop alone is over 20%. From 2003 to 2007, the four-year drop is at least 40%.

There's a big difference between less than 5% and more than 20%. There's also a big difference with three years of slowly plateauing overall sales followed by small one-year drop, and four years of anime sales drops adding up to over 40%.

Thanks. Looks like my "impression" was correct, but it's magnitude was being over played by the companies. Anime is obviously in a much worse state.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
The dvd sales are down because over the years we went from a $20.00 dvd to almost a $30.00 dvd which only has 4 to 6 episodes on it. Buying a complete box set is cheaper, when and if the box set comes out.

I personally find that buying a box set is cheaper depending on where and when you buy it.

Too when the price of Oil(gas,etc..) goes up, so does the cost of everything else!!!!!

Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
Rhesian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
calimike wrote:
You part blame for free download/stream anime from fansubs... end of discuss. Evil or Very Mad Devil fool you, isn't he? Twisted Evil

I was trying to decipher this message so I ran it through Babelfish, first into Japanese and then back into English, hoping to glean some meaning.

I got this:
Quote:

Question

I'm not sure why, but I found this friggin' hilarious! Thanks Zac!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
An average of 33 volumes of manga are being released weekly in North America.

Okay, so we need new figures indexed to remove the influence of Geneon on DVDs and Naruto on manga?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:

Okay, so we need new figures indexed to remove the influence of Geneon on DVDs and Naruto on manga?

I don't get why people are making the assumption that Geneon's exit from the market in late '07 are not accurately portrayed in the figures they gave. ICV2 isn't comprised of morons who don't know anything about the industry they're payed to analyze, and furthermore, any impact Geneon's exit may have had in the final months of 2007 would be reflected in the numbers given regardless.

If anything, Geneon's true impact on the market will only be finally calculated in 2008 anyway.

And why would you remove "Naruto's influence" on manga? How in the world would a study of the manga market be at all considered competent or relevant or even worth reading if it excludes the bestselling title?

It's like saying Billboard isn't accurate unless it excludes all top-selling artists. Some of you folks are really grasping at straws to somehow discredit or disprove these numbers, and frankly I'm not really even sure why in the world you'd be so dedicated to doing that in the first place.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Some of you folks are really grasping at straws to somehow discredit or disprove these numbers, and frankly I'm not really even sure why in the world you'd be so dedicated to doing that in the first place.

I think it is because they don't want to admit that anime DVD sales are dropping at a higher rate than the rest of the DVD market. And they especially don't want to see any proof of that fact.

Why in the world would anyone want to do that?

Oh wait, we all know why they would want to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tigergal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The dvd sales are down because over the years we went from a $20.00 dvd to almost a $30.00 dvd which only has 4 to 6 episodes on it. Buying a complete box set is cheaper, when and if the box set comes out.

That's true I guess lol thats why I buy all my Anime in box sets not to mention its a pain to collect all the volumes when one series is like more than 10 Volumes long uh ... Saiyuki for example I have all the volumes for season 2 but I can't find volume 2 in season 1!
Which then makes me hold off watching it cause of one stupid volume!

That is why I dont buy Anime unless it's in a box set Mad
also I love the sets packed with special features Very Happy
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Why in the world would anyone want to do that?

Oh wait, we all know why they would want to do that.

I wasn't asking that because I didn't know the answer.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I know you know. Your the Answerman after all. But let's not beat around the bush. Laughing You can take it as an agreement or a rhetorical question on top of a rhetorical question. Smile

Taking those two quoted sentences together, it makes it sound like I was being sarcastic towards Zac. That's not the case, It was just the only way I could figure out how to not mention a certain word that I still will not mention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
As great as the sales were last year, imagine the bump they'll get this year with the live-action film.

*snerk* Laughing *pounds on the desk laughing*

Easily 2008's most grossly overachieving prediction ever.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
As great as the sales were last year, imagine the bump they'll get this year with the live-action film.

*snerk* Laughing *pounds on the desk laughing*

Easily 2008's most grossly overachieving prediction ever.

Uh, I do not think "overachieving" means what you think it means. Wink And, let's not overuse the word "ever" (a la Comic Book Guy), especially when it conflicts with the second word in your sentence. Wink

For better or worse, even the worst film adaptations (and Dragonball could very well join those lowly ranks) have boosted the sales of the original comic books and animation. That's why even a critically panned movie like Daredevil had Marvel re-issuing graphic novels to meet renewed fan demand.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:00 am Reply with quote
Dr.G wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
(Off topic)Our Suncoast stores here in Vegas,are just now closing down.I would buy a lot of anime from there.The familiars are disappearing.

Our suncoast closed years ago. I didn't buy from them because they were so marked up in price.

I recently read somewhere that suncoast went bankrupt back in 2006.The one in the Meadows mall just closed.No warning or nothing.Still offering the discount card and everything.The DVD's were very expensive but they had a decent selection.After our Tower/WOW store dissapeared,I would venture over to suncoast.Tower carried my Shonen Sunday and Shonen Jump books(Not the americanized ones).It's just strange seeing stores from back in the day,vanish.

Before that,I would get drunk and walk around the forum shops in Caesar's Palace.They had a Virgin megastore that had a really good selection of Anime and Manga.That's gone too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4