• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime tattoos?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote
chicoandkirara wrote:
ok i think i get it now- there is a main series (rorunin kenshin or however it is spelt) and then a prequel oav and sequel oav (which are the reflection and reminiscence you were talking about, right?)

also how do you recommend i see it- tv series first or prequel?

thanks!

It's a Berserk brand not arm band Wink . Yep, that's how kenshin is, you got it. I watched the prequel ova, the series, then the ending ova, which is proper chronological order. However, I might caution you about that. I now really hate the series, I think largely because I watched Remiscence (prequel) first. It is a much higher quality work, better story, better animation, etc. The series just pales in comparison. I expected the caliber of reminiscence, but didn't get anything close. So, I'd probably advise you to watch the series first, then reflections, then reminiscence.

So I'm not 100% off topic, I'll say I wonder if anyone would ever have the balls to get Kenshin's scar as a tattoo. That would be commitment Shocked . On another note, I can also appreciate how some people get anime-style tattoos. I think from an artistic standpoint, those are also pretty cool.
chicoandkirara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:49 am Reply with quote
ok i know what you are talking about now... we made it through two of six disks last night. it would be a cool tattoo, or brand if you are into that.

FUNiRepBlue (disabled)
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
I have seen some pretty cool FMA Blood Seal tattoo's. We get pictures submitted and people at Cons show us their ink. I have also seen some full back pieces done of Dragon Ball Z. Pretty impressive stuff!

I have several tattoo's myself but nothing anime related. For me it'd be like putting 'work' on me Confused
Mine all have specific meanings and/or reminders and none are any sort of character from any shows or anime. However I admit I love seeing what others get done!
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:19 am Reply with quote
I'd like to get some tattoos someday when I can both afford them and when I'm at a position as a doctor where people can't (and in my opinion shouldn't) give a crap. When you're a resident, people don't give a crap what you look as long as you took a shower and you're wearing your uniform from my personal experience.

I even met an Anesthestiologist resident that had a very visible tattoo on his shoulder that was pretty neat looking that was purposely visible because he worse short slevved shirts to the job and nobody cared.

I personally believe backing people from a respectable job because of a nicely done tattoo is virtually as insultive as barring a perfectly qualified person by their sex, religion, race, marital status, hysical characteristics like height if height isn't an impediament for the job or age if the person is of legal age. Sadly laws to protect people don't really exist yet do they?

One of the few joys the Oscars gave to me was that a woman with a very visible (and neato) tattoo got an Oscar. You don't have to be a criminal or rocker to get one, even movie producers can and should have the choice.

As for the choices, I already have in mind this coverart of one of the Saint Seiya Hades DVD's that I just really loved. I'd just change Shura for a neato pic of Shion (maybe the scene where he's about to pass out which I loved). I'd like it to be on my back with a sort of custom background reminiscent of the flower petals and night sky of the best battle ever in my opinion.

Geeks? Heh, whatever. I think my anime fandomness is far better than the love my peers have for drinking and driving all the time. What a gay way to throw your money away.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
sailornyanko wrote:
One of the few joys the Oscars gave to me was that a woman with a very visible (and neato) tattoo got an Oscar. You don't have to be a criminal or rocker to get one, even movie producers can and should have the choice.

To be exact, that was Diablo Cody, the author of Juno. So she's not a movie producer but a writer.

I read an article about tattoos recently which said that a more people have them than you would think. I'm thinking it was 30-40% of people, though I really don't remember that clearly. It was bigger than I expected though. I think shows like Miami Ink have really made people see tattoos in a different light. Especially memorial tattoos.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
I will never get a tattoo myself, but I can't say that I mind them on other people as long as they're small. But the idea of a memorial tattoo is something I'll never understand, perhaps not enough bad stuff has happened to me.

Person A: Hey, remember that terrible thing that happened to you in your past?
Person B: Yes
Person A: Well, you should permanently mark your body with an image of that so every time you see it you remember how terrible your experience was.
Person B: That is a wonderful idea. Who wouldn't enjoy reliving the lowest point in their life every day?
FUNiRepBlue (disabled)
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:22 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I will never get a tattoo myself, but I can't say that I mind them on other people as long as they're small. But the idea of a memorial tattoo is something I'll never understand, perhaps not enough bad stuff has happened to me.

Person A: Hey, remember that terrible thing that happened to you in your past?
Person B: Yes
Person A: Well, you should permanently mark your body with an image of that so every time you see it you remember how terrible your experience was.
Person B: That is a wonderful idea. Who wouldn't enjoy reliving the lowest point in their life every day?

A memorial tattoo doesn't necessarily have to be tragic. Quite a few are portraits of friends or family like a grandparent or something that they just want with them all the time after they have passed. It helps remind them of all the good memories they had of that person.
Very Happy
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, most memorial tattoos are to remember someone who you loved you has died (even pets). My friend has a memorial tattoo in memory of her daughter, who passed away from SIDS (her mother also has one). Most people see it as a way to honour the memory as well as keep that person (or animal) with them for the rest of their life.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
A friend of mine has BonHomme de Neige on his ass. We got it during a trip to Quebec during Carnival so it says "Carnival '08" under it. It was quite the talk of the hotel.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Rika-chama wrote:
Wow, I don't think I'm nerdy enough to get an anime tattoo Razz If I would get one though it would be of the rose symbol used in utena on my back. That would be awesome

That's pretty much the tattoo I've always thought about if I were to get an anime one done. Though, while I have nothing against them, I don't think I'll ever get a tattoo myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I read an article about tattoos recently which said that a more people have them than you would think. I'm thinking it was 30-40% of people, though I really don't remember that clearly. It was bigger than I expected though. I think shows like Miami Ink have really made people see tattoos in a different light. Especially memorial tattoos.

Ozzy Osbourne said something like "Want to be different? Don't get a tattoo. Everyone seems to have one nowadays."

Really liked the colors on yours, inslaveree. Do the colors remain that vibrant after a long time? Like brand, I also have nothing against them (on some people they look gorgeous), but one thing I particularly don't like about tattoos is that you can't donate blood after getting one.

Since we are talking about tattoos, I don't recall many anime characters with tattoos. Kamina from Gurren Laggan, Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho, and Vincent from the Cowboy Bebop movie. I guess Benisato from Ninja Scroll had them... at least it looked like.
inslaveree

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Really liked the colors on yours, inslaveree. Do the colors remain that vibrant after a long time? Like brand, I also have nothing against them (on some people they look gorgeous), but one thing I particularly don't like about tattoos is that you can't donate blood after getting one.

Since we are talking about tattoos, I don't recall many anime characters with tattoos. Kamina from Gurren Laggan, Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho, and Vincent from the Cowboy Bebop movie. I guess Benisato from Ninja Scroll had them... at least it looked like.

Interestingly enough my oldest tattoo has never been touched up and is still just as bright as when I got it while others I have gotten since have had to have colors redone. Everyone's skin takes different colors easier and different colors fade faster. You definitely have to stay out of the sun or use sunblock a lot more to keep the colors.

The one question about anime characters having tattoos: Unless they specify in the storyline, is it a tattoo or a supernatural symbol or mark of a disease? I can think of a lot of characters that have what would seem to be a tattoo but ended up being explained later as a mark of their power or change that happened to them.
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
inslaveree wrote:
The one question about anime characters having tattoos: Unless they specify in the storyline, is it a tattoo or a supernatural symbol or mark of a disease? I can think of a lot of characters that have what would seem to be a tattoo but ended up being explained later as a mark of their power or change that happened to them.

If you provide the examples, I bet the people that inhabit this forum can answer you, case by case, if they are tattoos or not.
geishageek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote
Here's my anime tattoo. It's the butterfly Soubi used in Loveless. Its about 2 years old now so the colors are not a bright. BTW, this picture makes me look really huge. I only weigh 100 or so pounds.

[img][/img]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
but one thing I particularly don't like about tattoos is that you can't donate blood after getting one.

That's not quite true. You can't donate blood within a year of getting a tattoo, but after that time has gone by it's perfect safe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8