• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Live-Action Death Note's English Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
And HyugaHinata: did you hire an agent? If not, you have probably a 0.5% chance of being taken seriously, no matter the quality of your translation. That's just how the business works. It's all about how you present yourself, not about how talented you are. Sad but true.

No, no agent. But you never know - they might use my script anyway to save on translation costs. Wink I don't mind if they don't credit me.
hogkill3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
detective392 wrote:
That's stupid there is no english version my mom watches the anime but she dosent watch sub movies or shows and if they can dub the trailer they can dub the movie and give us both versions just like they do for anime.

Maybe your mom should learn how to read. Watching dubs is disgusting.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:14 am Reply with quote
hogkill3 wrote:
detective392 wrote:
That's stupid there is no english version my mom watches the anime but she dosent watch sub movies or shows and if they can dub the trailer they can dub the movie and give us both versions just like they do for anime.

Maybe your mom should learn how to read. Watching dubs is disgusting.

Welcome to the boards, but just know that these kinds of comments are frowned upon here. We oftentimes disagree on these boards, but we don't wantonly insult each other. Thanks for the future consideration.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
The double post is on purpose. I wanted my last post to stand on it's own.

I forgot to mention this a few hours ago, but there is already a legit English subtitled version on the market. South Korea (Region 3) has a really pretty boxed set with English subs. They are a bit rough in some spots of the first movie, but for $30, you really can't go wrong. I plan on supporting Viz Picture's release too, but I may just move the discs over to the Korean box. It really is that nice.

And HyugaHinata, I appreciate your enthusiasm and generosity. Really, it's nice to meet someone who's not so jaded. Unfortunately, I don't think they're going to use your script, but your attitude is refreshing.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Ha! What if they "dub" the Red Hot Chili Peppers with their own Japanese song? Wonder if Viz could get the Chili Peppers to a con (SDCC perhaps). Laughing

Won't happen because the RHCP song Dani California is what was used in the Japanese release. They also used Hey Oh! (Snow) for the second movie.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Honestly, I hope that the release the subtitled version in theaters. We Americans could definitely benefit from getting rid of our almost paranoid fear of anything not in English.

Where have you been? =P

There have been Asian movies that are released in thetares in it's original audio track. My friend and I had gone to see Kung Fu Hustle and it was all subtitled. I believe Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was subbed too, when it was released. Many other movies (not Japanese) have been released in it's original language, but I doubt something like Death Note would attract such a large scale audience.

Also, the movie is limited in Theaters, most are special screenings at cons and film festivals.

Hogkill:
You don't have to like dubs, but your attitude is quite irritating and disgusting in itself. Learn how to respect people, even if you disagree with them. It doesn't make you necessarily right either.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
BleuVII wrote:
Honestly, I hope that the release the subtitled version in theaters. We Americans could definitely benefit from getting rid of our almost paranoid fear of anything not in English.

Where have you been? =P

There have been Asian movies that are released in thetares in it's original audio track. My friend and I had gone to see Kung Fu Hustle and it was all subtitled. I believe Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was subbed too, when it was released. Many other movies (not Japanese) have been released in it's original language, but I doubt something like Death Note would attract such a large scale audience.

Short answer: I've been in Asia. Where I am now. Where almost half of the movie releases are subtitled, and they have subtitled television stations. And the foreign film section of the local video stores is larger than the domestic film section.

Also, I'm glad that some movies have been subtitled. I didn't get to see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in the theaters, but when I picked up the VHS a few months later it was definitely dub only. I seem to remember them making quite a big deal about the English dub being done by the original actors too.

But on the whole, subtitled films tend to be a niche market rather than a main one, with the exception of Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ." There's no reason that Death Note COULDN'T be a blockbuster. Even with its low production values (I'm talking about the first movie, not the second) it's better than 3/4 of the crap out there. But the fact that it's a foreign film nets it a limited release and screenings at film festivals. If it was marketed better (I didn't realize it was going to be a limited release), I think it could really help to break some of the stereotypes.

But the situation isn't unique to Death Note. I'm also thinking of the Korean movie Guemul, ridiculously translated as "The Host" in English. Could have been a blockbuster...
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:

Also, I'm glad that some movies have been subtitled. I didn't get to see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in the theaters, but when I picked up the VHS a few months later it was definitely dub only. I seem to remember them making quite a big deal about the English dub being done by the original actors too.

But on the whole, subtitled films tend to be a niche market rather than a main one, with the exception of Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ." There's no reason that Death Note COULDN'T be a blockbuster. Even with its low production values (I'm talking about the first movie, not the second) it's better than 3/4 of the crap out there. But the fact that it's a foreign film nets it a limited release and screenings at film festivals. If it was marketed better (I didn't realize it was going to be a limited release), I think it could really help to break some of the stereotypes.

But the situation isn't unique to Death Note. I'm also thinking of the Korean movie Guemul, ridiculously translated as "The Host" in English. Could have been a blockbuster...

I think the Host came out in theatres too, and that was limited. I had rented it at Blockbuster since I couldn't get a chance to see it in theaters. I wasn't even thinking of how the movie was made...I suppose that it's not going to be like Pokemon and Yu-gi-Oh, in which both movies had ended up being in US theaters. I wouldn't be able to explain it. I just know a lot of foreign films are limited to Independent Film screenings and such.

On a side note, with such controversy that's surrounding the schools now (And Death Note being in the news for not so great reasons), I'm glad that the movie hasn't gotten that much attention. >.>;;; I'll stick with the private screenings.

EDIT - You're spoiler was huge...x.x
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Let's not be lead to another one of those dreaded "sub vs. dub debates".
Josh7289

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Why did the voice actors sound better here than they do in the anime?

Or is it just me?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
If you're unaware, there's a Cromartie High live action movie that's out on DVD, and I haven't purchased it yet (but I will), and with live action movies, there is a different cast...

I think the scene I caught online was with the guy who gets motion sickness all the time, and comparing the two, I preferred the anime actor over the live action actor, I think it could've worked using the original English anime cast.

The one full and complete strike against dubs in my book. Could barely make it through the prolouge because of the material (not just flow) changes ... I would call those accents the final straw, but straw doesn't grow that big.

If it was a Chromatie-LA quality dub, pass-pass-pass-pass-pass. No dub, probably pass.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Why did the voice actors sound better here than they do in the anime?

Or is it just me?

I only thought that the announcer was annoying as hell. The other VAs I thought actually did good for matching their voices to the characters, especially Ryuk.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:08 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

I only thought that the announcer was annoying as hell. The other VAs I thought actually did good for matching their voices to the characters, especially Ryuk.

....So Brian Drummond was annoying as the announcer, yet great as Ryuk?

Despite the sometimes laughably bad acting in these movies (especially a lot of the over the top heart attack scenes), I think they offer an interesting twist to the Death Note story, since even though the plot diverges a bit and some characters' roles are different, the new elements that are added still feel like things that could happen in Death Note. I'll definitely be picking up the official releases.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
sailorspazz wrote:
....So Brian Drummond was annoying as the announcer, yet great as Ryuk?

If you would like to put it that way, he didn't have much going for his voice as the announcer, but he made up for that as Ryuk. If that was who was doing the voicing of the two roles.
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
The double post is on purpose. I wanted my last post to stand on it's own.

I forgot to mention this a few hours ago, but there is already a legit English subtitled version on the market. South Korea (Region 3) has a really pretty boxed set with English subs. They are a bit rough in some spots of the first movie, but for $30, you really can't go wrong. I plan on supporting Viz Picture's release too, but I may just move the discs over to the Korean box. It really is that nice.

And HyugaHinata, I appreciate your enthusiasm and generosity. Really, it's nice to meet someone who's not so jaded. Unfortunately, I don't think they're going to use your script, but your attitude is refreshing.

Do you have a link? I haven't seen the legit region 3 yet.

I thought that was the HK Boxed set that was legit too, though. I'll see if I can fish up a link.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4